Page 2 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2011, 2:44 pm

Gedrene wrote:
Dhawal wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
I have an official diagnosis, and I suck at math.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Aspies are supposed to have excellent rote memory. I have practically zero rote memory.

I just saw on another part of wrong planet where someone said we have hyperfocus, tangential this, another guy was talking about stubbornness and selfishness.

To be honest this is a load of bull. Autism is about as cogent as an anarchist presidential election.

:lol:

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2011, 1:53 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
Now....

If only they would add the Aspie myths of, "does not have an imagination" and "is a math-whiz totally obsessed by technology," this article would be perfect.

^This^

Everytime someone brings up the math sterotype, I want to strangle them.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2011, 1:59 am

MagicMeerkat wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
Now....

If only they would add the Aspie myths of, "does not have an imagination" and "is a math-whiz totally obsessed by technology," this article would be perfect.

^This^

Both James Elroy, best known for LA Confidential and The Black Dahlia, amd the late Robert E. Howard, who gave us Conan the Barbarian, almost certainly were born Aspies, and from their biographical information, were both horrible at math. Some people with Asperger's are more inclined to excel in the arts rather than the sciences.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2011, 5:29 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
MagicMeerkat wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
Now....

^This^

Both James Elroy, best known for LA Confidential and The Black Dahlia, amd the late Robert E. Howard, who gave us Conan the Barbarian, almost certainly were born Aspies, and from their biographical information, were both horrible at math. Some people with Asperger's are more inclined to excel in the arts rather than the sciences.

I'd rather not speculate personally. There is only one person I can say with certainty who may have had AS, and that's George Orwell.

Lonermutant
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2011, 7:12 am

Kraichgauer wrote:

Just too bad that it's the math and sciences that the world needs and not the arts...

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2011, 9:28 am

Lonermutant wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Just too bad that it's the math and sciences that the world needs and not the arts...

But without the arts, the world would be a very drab, unenlightened place.

Lonermutant
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2011, 9:36 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Lonermutant wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

But without science there would be no wealth to enjoy the arts with and to employ artists.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2011, 9:55 am

Lonermutant wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Lonermutant wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

But without science there would be no wealth to enjoy the arts with and to employ artists.

Absolutely - you have no argument from me on that count.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2011, 11:36 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Lonermutant wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Lonermutant wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Oh, hogwash.

Cavemen made paintings on cave walls long before "science" was invented. "Science" isn't required for appreciating art as any primitive society with decorative pottery can demonstrate.

Whether "science" or "art" is "needed" is entirely dependent on the culture and what's considered "valuable." Amish people couldn't care less about either. I'm not sure where people get the notion that all humans require fossil-fuel-based civilizations, filled with baubles and toys, in order to build a society.

In any case, the "science v. art" debate is probably one of the dumbest arguments I can think of. There's no competition currently between the two....except in the mind of a few nerds who need someone to dump on in order feel "special."

"I'm a [......] major in college, so that means I'm better and smarter and more important than you!! !"

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2011, 5:59 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Lonermutant wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Lonermutant wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Oh, hogwash.

Cavemen made paintings on cave walls long before "science" was invented. "Science" isn't required for appreciating art as any primitive society with decorative pottery can demonstrate.

Whether "science" or "art" is "needed" is entirely dependent on the culture and what's considered "valuable." Amish people couldn't care less about either. I'm not sure where people get the notion that all humans require fossil-fuel-based civilizations, filled with baubles and toys, in order to build a society.

In any case, the "science v. art" debate is probably one of the dumbest arguments I can think of. There's no competition currently between the two....except in the mind of a few nerds who need someone to dump on in order feel "special."

"I'm a [......] major in college, so that means I'm better and smarter and more important than you!! !"

As much as I have a preference for the arts rather than the sciences, it's undeniable that the cave paintings probably would never have been had not some innovative genius hadn't have learned to make fire, which had provided the light by which the paintings were made inside the deep, dark caverns. Let alone, flint knapping for making stone tools, which had allowed the prehistoric artists to eat and be clothed. Still, it's those cave paintings that are considered to be the highest accomplishment of Paleolithic man.

gaelicgem
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Nov 2011, 3:45 pm

Great article. It gives me hope that I might be able to get my official diagnosis. I know that I am, but being able to say for sure to the rest of the world will make me feel like I'm not crazy. I feel like for once in my life, my life will actually make sense.

femme
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Nov 2011, 5:17 pm

I loved this I give it 10 stars. I am much better at things like science history reading but I suck at math. Joker is better at math but struggles with little thing's like grammar and punctuation.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2011, 6:11 pm

gaelicgem wrote:
Great article. It gives me hope that I might be able to get my official diagnosis. I know that I am, but being able to say for sure to the rest of the world will make me feel like I'm not crazy. I feel like for once in my life, my life will actually make sense.

An official diagnosis definitely let me make sense of my life. Back in school, I was often the smartest kid in class, but at the same time, many of my peers regarded me as ret*d. It hadn't helped matters that I had been held back for two years in a special ed class, and had been misdiagnosed as hyperactive. As an adult, I could be perceived alternately as a brain, or as somehow feeble minded.
No, I'm not ret*d, I'm not feeble minded, I'm an Aspie!

Angel_ryan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2011, 10:22 pm

Sean_91 wrote:
Dhawal wrote:
http://psychcentral.com/lib/2011/debunking-6-myths-about-asperger-syndrome/

This is a really great article! I can't believe all the misunderstandings about us aspies out there in society. I'd love to see many more articles like this be written in the future.

I hope so too it could make it easier to communicate with doctors. I was diagnosed by a psychologist who openly told me she didn't know that much about Aspergers. I was very annoyed to hear that from a professional. She knew how to rigidly diagnose me using a DSM outline, but she didn't completely understand how it effects my life. I was just a list of symptoms that made up a generalized psychological statistic to her. (T_T)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2011, 10:23 pm

Thank you for sharing that. More of the human population should be reading that.

Taupey
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2011, 2:57 pm

ictus75 wrote:
I think what this article points out is that Aspergers is not a we're all exactly the same condition. We can vary widely in how we perceive & interact with the world. For wxample: Yes, many Aspies don't make eye contact, but others do. I can do it, but it's NOT natural, and I have to remind myself to do it. We truly are a Spectrum of people.
I'm like this too.

CockneyRebel wrote:
Thank you for sharing that. More of the human population should be reading that.
Yes, thank you Dhawal. Indeed they should, Mick.

Your Aspie score: 167 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 35 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie.