Debunking 6 Myths About Asperger Syndrome - PsychCentral

Page 1 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Dhawal
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2011, 11:35 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
I have an official diagnosis, and I suck at math.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Aspies are supposed to have excellent rote memory. I have practically zero rote memory.

Sean_91
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Oct 2011, 2:54 pm

Dhawal wrote:
http://psychcentral.com/lib/2011/debunking-6-myths-about-asperger-syndrome/

This is a really great article! I can't believe all the misunderstandings about us aspies out there in society. I'd love to see many more articles like this be written in the future.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 11:22 am

Most things people say about aspies sound like they should belong to an RPG manual and not a diagnostics sheet.

Aspies
Racial Traits:
+2 Intelligence
+1 Speed
-3 Initiative
+4 Repetitive hand-flapping

globalwolf2010
Raven
Raven

12 Oct 2011, 3:05 pm

Gedrene wrote:
Most things people say about aspies sound like they should belong to an RPG manual and not a diagnostics sheet.

Aspies
Racial Traits:
+2 Intelligence
+1 Speed
-3 Initiative

Good sir, all I can say to that is,

lololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololol.

Dhawal
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 9:50 pm

Gedrene wrote:

Aspies
Racial Traits:
+2 Intelligence
+1 Speed
-3 Initiative

I swear man, you nailed it. It's never about what we are like or what we feel ...

jackbus01
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2011, 1:46 am

Gedrene wrote:

Aspies
Racial Traits:
+2 Intelligence
+1 Speed
-3 Initiative

LOL!

Lonermutant
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2011, 9:49 am

I lack any kind of need of social contact and I'm unable to feel loneliness.

They should also have debunked the "high IQ" myth. Most of us have an IQ under 90.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2011, 10:37 am

Lonermutant wrote:

They should also have debunked the "high IQ" myth. Most of us have an IQ under 90.

But being that so many of us are such "little professors," obsessed with a narrow subject matter that we'll talk about incessantly, it gives the impression that we're geniuses.

Lonermutant
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2011, 1:13 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Lonermutant wrote:

But being that so many of us are such "little professors," obsessed with a narrow subject matter that we'll talk about incessantly, it gives the impression that we're geniuses.

The problem with "special inerest" are that they are totally useless and worthless in reality. They often focus on a very narrow and fragmented detail of a subject and they are often just an easy escape from social interaction with other people. The best thing parents and teachers can do with these "interests" are to ignore them and not take them seriously. Giving the students an easier special education based on practial work training in unskilled work such as gardening work, etc. is a much better and realistic option for these students.

Dhawal
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2011, 11:20 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Lonermutant wrote:

This might be of interest -
http://psychcentral.com/news/2011/10/03 ... 29999.html

Last edited by Dhawal on 14 Oct 2011, 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dhawal
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2011, 11:38 pm

Lonermutant wrote:
The problem with "special inerest" are that they are totally useless and worthless in reality. They often focus on a very narrow and fragmented detail of a subject and they are often just an easy escape from social interaction with other people. The best thing parents and teachers can do with these "interests" are to ignore them and not take them seriously. Giving the students an easier special education based on practial work training in unskilled work such as gardening work, etc. is a much better and realistic option for these students.

Hmmm. There are a lot of varied opinions within the aspie community itself.

I believe (with some others) that reality is not, or should not be defined by the NTs only. The focus on details can be useful in many fields, where there isn't much option yet. By employing aspies in those fields, NTs can benefit immensely, while providing work for aspies that they can do without going against their instincts. E.g. Aspiritech (software testing). Once they gain confidence doing this, the social awkwardness decreases (my observation, no research backing really).

As far as the interests are concerned, many of these can provide the industry with experts they need, though not all. Ignoring the interests should not be harmful, but discouraging might be. For the remaining small portion of aspies, your special education option seems really good.
"... based on practial work training in unskilled work such as gardening work, etc. is a much better and realistic option for these students." I agree.

ictus75
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Oct 2011, 11:46 pm

The problem with IQ tests is that they are typically slanted towards NT type thinking, so Aspies are often at a disadvantage when taking them. Another aspect is that there are many Aspies with a high IQ, but the lack of social skills makes it difficult to use that IQ to any advantage in a job. Aspies & NTs come in all levels of IQ.

amojak
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Oct 2011, 6:45 pm

Eu freaking reka!

Quote:
6. Myth: They lack empathy.

Fact: “Empathy is a complicated concept,” Gaus said. Some researchers have divided empathy into four components: two called “cognitive empathy” and two called “emotional empathy.” People with Asperger’s struggle with cognitive empathy but have no problem with emotional empathy, she said.

been trying to get that one over to some people for a while.

AQ - 44
EIQ - 57
BAP - 129 Aloof, 103 Rigid, 132 Pragmatic

Douglas_MacNeill
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2011, 9:50 pm

Gedrene wrote:

Aspies
Racial Traits:
+2 Intelligence
+1 Speed
-3 Initiative

Add:

-2 Charisma (a central trait of Aspies)
-1 Dexterity/Agility
+2 to saving rolls against mind-control, illusions, etc. (including spells and items with these effects); use appropriate game terminology to determine appropriate type of save.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2011, 10:55 am

Dhawal wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Aspies are supposed to have excellent rote memory. I have practically zero rote memory.

I just saw on another part of wrong planet where someone said we have hyperfocus, tangential this, another guy was talking about stubbornness and selfishness.

To be honest this is a load of bull. Autism is about as cogent as an anarchist presidential election.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2011, 2:44 pm

Gedrene wrote:
Dhawal wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

I just saw on another part of wrong planet where someone said we have hyperfocus, tangential this, another guy was talking about stubbornness and selfishness.

To be honest this is a load of bull. Autism is about as cogent as an anarchist presidential election.

:lol: