Awe-tistic rewrite of DSM-IV. Love it!

Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2011, 1:18 pm

EB wrote:
. . . My having likes is not considered unimportant but what I like and my talking about my likes are not looked favorably on . . .
I like the first part, where you having likes is considered important. As far as the second part, I wish people were more patient with you talking about your likes to a modest extent, but that may be expecting the Earth, the Moon, and the Stars, for people are the way they are.

And yes, I do it, too, as far as over talking. I rabbit hole down and talk about my interest(s) intensely and get into my mode of all-sending, no-receiving. Still, I do wish people would be a little more patient.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2011, 1:41 pm

“ . . . (VI) The person’s awe-tistic consciousness is not better accounted for by some other type of hierarchical hair-splitting that results in diagnosing life itself as a kind of disease. . . ”
http://www.journeyswithautism.com/2009/ ... or-autism/

And yes, this is definitely a spoof. This is the author's creative, off-the-cuff rewrite of what she thinks DSM-IV should say.

And I also think this is part of effective advocacy and activism. That is, we can do our own stuff and at a later date the 'professionals' can catch up.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2011, 1:45 pm

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
But I don't think our particular viewpoint is well represented.

This caught my eye.

It isn't well represented, because our "particular" viewpoint doesn't exist. What I mean is that "our viewpoint" doesn't really exist per se.

There are too many of us, each from his/her own "particular" portion of the spectrum. Meaning the only viewpoint that can rightly be considered "particular" is one's own. There is no collective "particular viewpoint."

As such, "it" cannot be represented, because there is no "it."

A viewpoint implies there is a "point" from which experiences and life are viewed. Each one of us sits and views from our own unique "point." No two (or more) of us sits at exactly the same "point." Thus, there is no one view-"point" that can fairly and accurately describe all of us. Choosing any "particular" point would leave most of us unrepresented.

It is precisely because of this, that (be it the DSM or any other alternative description), any fair description MUST allow for some ambiguity.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Last edited by MrXxx on 07 Oct 2011, 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dontslowmedown
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2011, 1:45 pm

OLD SCHOOL: (A) marked impairments in the use of multiple nonverbal behaviors such as eye-to-eye gaze, facial expression, body posture, and gestures to regulate social interaction
NEW SCHOOL: (A) An acute sensory and empathic sensitivity that i) makes eye contact and social interaction intensely difficult and ii) results in the rejection of ambiguous nonverbal behaviors in favor of direct, detailed, and honest speech.

OLD SCHOOL: (B) failure to develop peer relationships appropriate to developmental level
NEW SCHOOL: (B) Beginning in early childhood, a gift for developing relationships with people of widely different ages and developmental trajectories.

OLD SCHOOL: (C) a lack of spontaneous seeking to share enjoyment, interest or achievements with other people, (e.g.. by a lack of showing, bringing, or pointing out objects of interest to other people)
NEW SCHOOL: (C) The understanding, gained uncannily early in life, that i) most people will not appreciate the awe-tist’s interests or achievements, and ii) showing, bringing, or pointing out objects of interest will be met with judgment and/or hostility that manifest in socially acceptable forms of repression (such as social exclusion) or criminal acts (such as physical assault).

OLD SCHOOL: (D) lack of social or emotional reciprocity
NEW SCHOOL: (D) An acute sensitivity to the feelings of others that causes the awe-tist to refrain from using banal pleasantries or empty words that may hurt or offend.

NEW SCHOOL: (E) An altogether eccentric form of social and emotional reciprocity that insists upon fairness, directness, sensitivity, tolerance, substance, acceptance of difference, and mutually interesting subject matter.

I really like this! I think this autism advocate did a great job. Now, she actually very bravely strikes through the current text (I simply don't know how to do that formatting). Please check out the whole thing if you are interested.

nice.

TheBrain
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Oct 2011, 9:01 pm

swbluto wrote:
TheBrain wrote:
I have a question?

Autism is not a mental illness, so what is it doing in the DSM at all?

It's a disorder and mental disorders are also in the DSM.

According to wiki, DSM's official title is "The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders"

It's a disorder because, primarily, it's not a part of the "normal order". The root -dis basically means "Not", so dis-order in the psychological community basically translates to "not (of the normal) order".

I guess if schizophrenia belongs in there, then we do to. I just don't think I like that autism is partnered with things like depression. It's kind of insulting.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

07 Oct 2011, 9:16 pm

TheBrain wrote:
swbluto wrote:
TheBrain wrote:
I have a question?

It's a disorder and mental disorders are also in the DSM.

According to wiki, DSM's official title is "The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders"

It's a disorder because, primarily, it's not a part of the "normal order". The root -dis basically means "Not", so dis-order in the psychological community basically translates to "not (of the normal) order".

I guess if schizophrenia belongs in there, then we do to. I just don't think I like that autism is partnered with things like depression. It's kind of insulting.

I also think it's insulting because autism really seems to be a different psychological type that starts at birth just like any ole' personality, not something that "develops" due to a combination of the right environmental factors and predisposing genes. But, I guess if it's something that can cause stress and difficulty in certain parts of life that are almost universally valued, then people are going to put a label on it and call it a disorder.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

07 Oct 2011, 9:26 pm

TheBrain wrote:

Why? It's not as if ASDs and depression don't often travel together.

nikaTheJellyfish
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Oct 2011, 9:40 pm

TheBrain wrote:
I have a question?

Many things in the DSM are not mental illness (ie dissociative identity disorder is not always a mental illness, neither are many sleep related disorders). The DSM categorizes all variations in brain strategies. Meaning that the DSM is not just for mental disorders, it is for anything that could affect the mind. The DSM also makes special note of co-occuring neurophysical or chemical issues in the brain. Also, NOTHING in the DSM is technically a diagnosable disorder until it impairs a person's functioning.

TheMatrixHasYou
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Oct 2011, 5:58 am

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2011, 3:47 pm

MrXxx wrote:
. . . There are too many of us, each from his/her own "particular" portion of the spectrum. Meaning the only viewpoint that can rightly be considered "particular" is one's own. There is no collective "particular viewpoint." . . .

Very good point. I agree.

As an example, schools and social service agencies seem to "need" to classify people as either high-functioning or low-functioning, and I think it would be an absolute sea change if they could accept that many adults on the spectrum are medium-functioning. And yet, and yet-----some of us will feel comfortable self-identifying as medium-functioning, and some of us won't, and that is perfectly okay. We are a movement of individuals, and I think it's important for us to respect ourselves as individuals. :nemo:

And I actually think it's beneficial for there be a variety of organizations advocating for those of us on the spectrum.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2011, 4:57 pm

nikaTheJellyfish wrote:
TheBrain wrote:
I have a question?

Many things in the DSM are not mental illness (ie dissociative identity disorder is not always a mental illness, neither are many sleep related disorders). The DSM categorizes all variations in brain strategies. Meaning that the DSM is not just for mental disorders, it is for anything that could affect the mind. The DSM also makes special note of co-occuring neurophysical or chemical issues in the brain. Also, NOTHING in the DSM is technically a diagnosable disorder until it impairs a person's functioning.

When I took the class "Abnormal Psychology" back in the Fall of 1984 (I have a bachelor's degree in psychology, am by no means an expert), the professor briefly touched upon the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory. He was asked, does it only measure pathology. He answered, yes, it only measures pathology.

So imagine, a manilla folder laid flat on a table is considered a healthy human being. If that folder has any texture or any color on it or any terrain of any kind, that's considered "disorder" or pathology. It really is incredible once you think about it.

I do understand some of the history and why psychology developed according to the medical model. But I also think it's time to start moving beyond this.

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2013, 5:50 pm

OLD SCHOOL: (A) marked impairments in the use of multiple nonverbal behaviors such as eye-to-eye gaze, facial expression, body posture, and gestures to regulate social interaction
NEW SCHOOL: (A) An acute sensory and empathic sensitivity that i) makes eye contact and social interaction intensely difficult and ii) results in the rejection of ambiguous nonverbal behaviors in favor of direct, detailed, and honest speech.
PUNK SCHOOL: (A) We decide not to look happy, but to tell it to your face, nananannanayahh!! !! *bass solo and pyro*

OLD SCHOOL: (B) failure to develop peer relationships appropriate to developmental level
NEW SCHOOL: (B) Beginning in early childhood, a gift for developing relationships with people of widely different ages and developmental trajectories.
TECHNO/Def Leppard (Punk Teachers) SCHOOL: (B) We love techno at 60 years old, nyahnaanannyaahhh!! !! ! *Def Leppard one armed drum solo LIVE*

OLD SCHOOL: (C) a lack of spontaneous seeking to share enjoyment, interest or achievements with other people, (e.g.. by a lack of showing, bringing, or pointing out objects of interest to other people)
NEW SCHOOL: (C) The understanding, gained uncannily early in life, that i) most people will not appreciate the awe-tist’s interests or achievements, and ii) showing, bringing, or pointing out objects of interest will be met with judgment and/or hostility that manifest in socially acceptable forms of repression (such as social exclusion) or criminal acts (such as physical assault).
HEAVY METAL (Punk Teachers) SCHOOL: Well, I'm not interesting to you? Why are you even here? Nyahnananaaaayahhanaahh!! !! *Chris Burton solo from ride the lightning*

OLD SCHOOL: (D) lack of social or emotional reciprocity
NEW SCHOOL: (D) An acute sensitivity to the feelings of others that causes the awe-tist to refrain from using banal pleasantries or empty words that may hurt or offend.
GLAM METAL (Aunt Labby is Principle) *She's my cherry pie......* [b]An aspie already got married (aunt labby), nyahannannnnaaaaayh!! ! *Technoed Cherry Pie Remix with jumpstyle and melbourne shuffle dancers*[/b]

NEW SCHOOL: (E) An altogether eccentric form of social and emotional reciprocity that insists upon fairness, directness, sensitivity, tolerance, substance, acceptance of difference, and mutually interesting subject matter.

J-pop mixed with Hank Williams senior ..... successfully......, oooweeeoooooh
.Giant Pyro BAMMMMMM!

I really like this! I think this autism advocate did a great job. Now, she actually very bravely strikes through the current text (I simply don't know how to do that formatting). Please check out the whole thing if you are interested.

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2013, 9:19 pm

MrXxx wrote:
But I don't think our particular viewpoint is well represented.

This caught my eye.

It isn't well represented, because our "particular" viewpoint doesn't exist. What I mean is that "our viewpoint" doesn't really exist per se.

There are too many of us, each from his/her own "particular" portion of the spectrum. Meaning the only viewpoint that can rightly be considered "particular" is one's own. There is no collective "particular viewpoint."

As such, "it" cannot be represented, because there is no "it."

A viewpoint implies there is a "point" from which experiences and life are viewed. Each one of us sits and views from our own unique "point." No two (or more) of us sits at exactly the same "point." Thus, there is no one view-"point" that can fairly and accurately describe all of us. Choosing any "particular" point would leave most of us unrepresented.

It is precisely because of this, that (be it the DSM or any other alternative description), any fair description MUST allow for some ambiguity.

Groups of NTs with common experiences form groups based on what is shared. Their differences don't take away their similarities so they can have common viewpoints even if they are all different. Why can't people on the Autistic spectrum have a common viewpoint in spite of the fact that we all have differences? If there is anything that is common to all people with Autism then that is part of our common perspective. Differences don't negate similarities.

GregCav
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2013, 3:08 am

seaturtleisland wrote:
Groups of NTs with common experiences form groups based on what is shared. Their differences don't take away their similarities so they can have common viewpoints even if they are all different. Why can't people on the Autistic spectrum have a common viewpoint in spite of the fact that we all have differences? If there is anything that is common to all people with Autism then that is part of our common perspective. Differences don't negate similarities.

/cheer

We are on this board because of our similarities. As diverse as they are.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2013, 9:07 am

TheBrain wrote:
I have a question?

Well its not exactly a physical condition either so its still considered a mental disorder/condition...not nessisarily mental illness though.