Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

happydorkgirl
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Oct 2011, 12:08 am

Does anyone else here have a special bond with animals?

I started rigorously training dogs at around age 8 or 9; I've just always been able to think like a dog. In undergrad I studied the area further and am now a trainer and canine behaviorist.

My bearded collie, Storm, is by far my best friend. I am most comfortable around him and tell him things that I won't tell another person. We go to dog shows to compete in various obedience events and having him around makes talking easier.

...and, since threads about animals are no good without visual aids, enjoy these pictures of me and my dogs through the years.

...and here is Storm (When The Levee Breaks CD RE), who is absolutely my little everything:

happydorkgirl

08 Oct 2011, 12:13 am

...and because I can:

Please post pics of your special animals.

ComplexRobot
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Oct 2011, 12:22 am

Well, I've always felt I could understand animals really well.
Both dogs and cats are pretty easy to get along with.
It's pretty simple. You just give them what they want, and they're happy.
I find it funny how people don't understand it, since it's so simple.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2011, 12:31 am

I can totally relate, I am both a cat and dog person. I also like many other animals and have been fortunate enough to spend a lot of time with sheep, goats, and even do some chicken and horse-sitting... : )

Taking a break.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2011, 12:34 am

Yes, but not dogs. They remind me of NT's too much. Give me my lizards and meerkats. I want to have a pet tiger or jaguar someday. People say it would kill me or attack me, but after what I've been through with people, I'd trust a wild animal anyday before I ever trusted another person again. I'm not crazy about domestic animals.

Madao
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Oct 2011, 1:26 am

I consider my dogs and turtles my adopted children. I've raised them all since they were babies. I guess they think of me as their mom. We got a special bond with each other just like you happydorkgirl. :)

PTSmorrow
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2011, 6:44 am

Absolutely, especially with my cats. But generally i feel closer to animals and nature as a whole than anybody else i've ever been in contact with.
I have much more in common with an animal than with any human being. My cats and i love each other unconditionally. That's the reason why i prefer them over bipeds.

mglosenger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Oct 2011, 11:39 am

I do find animals generally easier to get along with than people. My problem is that they may poop and pee in a less cleanly manner than people, and they tend to leave tons of hair all over the place. Also they may scratch/chew your stuff. Also they can be annoyingly persistent. That's all I can think of for now.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2011, 1:06 pm

I've always had a way with cats. They are my favorite pet. My earliest memory was of adopting a cat named Sugar from the animal shelter, and I've never been without a cat in all the years of my life. My current cat, an 11 year old American longhair named Miss Kitty, is highly attached to me. Though she often scratches, bites and runs away from other people, she frequently scrubs against me and allows me to snuggle with her. She follows me around the house and "talks" to me a lot. I take care of her by feeding her and cleaning her when she goes to the bathroom on herself. I love her very much and I dread the day when she passes on.

Burnbridge
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2011, 3:22 pm

Oh for kittens!

I'm a cat whisperer. Mewler, really. Strange cats who are skittish of people tend to come say hi to me.

My current cat, Mr Bonkers, is the sweetest thing ever. He walked into my house a year ago and decided I was going to take care of him. I agreed. Perfect little guy, never been abused even a little bit ever, so he's fearless with people. Chatty and cuddly.

We play tag, chasing each other back and forth from room to room. He says thank you for food by rubbing my ankles. Never pooped or peed outside the box ever. Waps me for play without the claws. He waves bye when I leave the house by wapping on the window. He likes kisses on the forehead, having his belly rubbed, having his feet and ears rubbed (yep, I trained him to do all that.)

I think he has a faulty transmission though, because he squeaks (out of his mouth) when he runs. Must need more fish oil.

[img][500:400]http://i51.tinypic.com/2czpxmt.jpg[/img]

happydorkgirl

08 Oct 2011, 3:27 pm

Burnbridge wrote:
I'm a cat whisperer. Mewler, really. Strange cats who are skittish of people tend to come say hi to me.

I'm the same way with dogs! I despise the "dog whisperer" label, however, due to that damned show. That man has single-handedly thrown the field and practice of canine training/behaviorism backwards 25 years. I bristle whenever people refer to me as such.

Meow101
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2011, 3:46 pm

I also have a way with cats. My kids always remark on how cats will come up to me when they won't be friendly with anyone else. I've loved cats since I was very young and it is rare that I've been without a cat (or 2 or 3) in my life. Right now I have three. I'll see if I can figure out how to post their pics.

~Kate

Si tot mai multe cere.
--Mihai Eminescu

Meow101
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2011, 3:49 pm

happydorkgirl wrote:
Burnbridge wrote:

I'm the same way with dogs! I despise the "dog whisperer" label, however, due to that damned show. That man has single-handedly thrown the field and practice of canine training/behaviorism backwards 25 years. I bristle whenever people refer to me as such.

I'm interested. Is what he does wrong? I have a friend who is very interested in canine behavior and he watches Dog Whisperer all the time.

~Kate

Si tot mai multe cere.
--Mihai Eminescu

Meow101
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2011, 4:06 pm

I'll try this...

[img][800:680]http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac56/Kate_0825/DSC_0666.jpg[/img]
Renesmee, when she was a few months old

[img][800:773]http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac56/Kate_0825/DSC_0663.jpg[/img]
Claude, when he was a few months old

[img][800:680]http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac56/Kate_0825/530.jpg[/img]
Sammy, our "lion"

~Kate

Si tot mai multe cere.
--Mihai Eminescu

happydorkgirl

08 Oct 2011, 4:06 pm

Meow101 wrote:
happydorkgirl wrote:
Burnbridge wrote:

I'm interested. Is what he does wrong? I have a friend who is very interested in canine behavior and he watches Dog Whisperer all the time.

~Kate

His biggest sin is using a single social behavior to analyze and explain a complex, multi-faceted animal. Dominance is not always the issue at hand, nor should it always be used to correct an improper behavior.

If your friend is interested I would recommend "Don't Shoot the Dog!: The New Art of Teaching and Training" by Karen Pryor (Click title for Amazon page). She is an expert in what is called "positive dog training", which has replaced dominance training in scientific-based circles.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2011, 4:26 pm

Using my dog in a blatant attempt to get a woman...