Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

abitclueless
Raven
Raven

10 Oct 2011, 2:44 pm

I have Asperger's and I have hypersensitivity to sound as well. I have found that it's most prevalent when I'm trying to concentrate. For example tonight I'm on the Internet but I'm being really annoyed by the boy racers who go through the area regularly. Other sounds that annoy me are: motorbikes, people talking down on the street, people talking downstairs when I'm upstairs (and trying to concentrate), the phone ringing, dogs barking, children shouting and screaming, loud TVs. I find that it's only "unexpected" loud noise that annoys me as I can go to music concerts and I'm fine.

I did some research by typing "cure for hypersensitivity to sound" into Google. The medical name for it is hyperacusis and a possible treatment is Auditory Integration Therapy or AIT. This is where low levels of white noise are played for 30 mins twice a day for, I think it said 10 days. So now I personally would like to find somewhere that does it in either Belfast or the Greater Belfast area because I really am fed up living with it.

Christopherwillson
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2011, 8:03 pm

i am the same, i hate all noises made by the mouth, especially eating and kissing sounds, i often get mad about ANY noise, there's even times that i can't listen to my favorite music.

noise, smell and light are big issues for me.

Aspie score: 182-200

Don't know what to say.

Dots
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2011, 8:09 pm

Lately I've been having trouble concentrating on the lecture in university class when students around the lecture hall are typing on their laptops. It's hard to focus on the professor's voice when all I can hear is "click click click click".

Free speech means the right to shout 'theatre' in a crowded fire.
--Abbie Hoffman

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2011, 4:29 am

abitclueless wrote:
I did some research by typing "cure for hypersensitivity to sound" into Google. The medical name for it is hyperacusis and a possible treatment is Auditory Integration Therapy or AIT. This is where low levels of white noise are played for 30 mins twice a day for, I think it said 10 days. So now I personally would like to find somewhere that does it in either Belfast or the Greater Belfast area because I really am fed up living with it.

Interesting. I regularly play white noise (or pink noise) to drown out the noise my neighbours make. It's often remarkably efficient, especially if I tailor the EQ curve of the white noise to that of the intrusive noise. I haven't noticed any therapeutic effect on my sensitivity to noise though. I've never found white noise to be in the least intrusive, unless I play it very loudly indeed.