Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

mikecartwright
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Oct 2011, 6:26 pm

My question is this some people claim they are not Anti Semitic or Anti Jewish or Anti Judaism they are only Anti Zionist and Anti Zionism but isn't Zionism linked to Judaism because Judaism teaches that God gave the Jews the Land of Israel and the Jews hope to return to Zion when their Messiah comes and Judaism believes that the Land belongs to the Jews I know that there are Anti Zionist Orthodox Jews but they still believe that they will have the Land when the Messiah comes they still view the Land as theirs thank you for taking your time to answer my question ?

Question 14.4:
Are all Jews Zionists?

Jews are Zionists in the sense that the restoration of the Jewish people in its homeland is a fundamental tenet of Judaism. Most Jews support the state of Israel--the basic realization of Zionism. Some Jews, however, do not accept Zionism as a political movement, but believe that independence will only come with the advent of the Messiah. There are still other Jews who feel that the question of an independent Jewish state is independent of the question of the Messiah. Lastly, some Jews do not support Zionism for historical reasons.
Zionism developed into an organized political movement, in a period marked by growing recognition of national movements in Europe, when Jews felt the time was ready for the reassertion of Jewish National Identity.
As a movement, it was further spurred by growing antisemitism in Europe in the latter part of the 19th century, as groups of Jews emigrated to what became Israel. It was formally organized into a national movement in 1897, with the call for the restoration of the Jewish national home.

http://www.shamash.org/lists/scj-faq/HT ... 14-04.html
Question 14.5: Do Diaspora Jews (Jews outside Israel) support Zionism?
Answer:

Diaspora Jews, on the whole, support Zionism in one way or another
through active participation in aspects of the movement itself, or
through public and/or financial support of Israel.

Some Diaspora Jews realize their belief in Zionism by immigrating to
the Land of Israel (making 'aliyah' - "going up") to participate
directly in the task of rebuilding the nation.

Diaspora Jews, whether or not associated with Zionist activities, have
been enriched culturally, socially and spiritually by the
reestablishment of Israel in its ancestral homeland. Even non-Zionist
and anti-Zionist Jews find Israel an excellent place for Torah study.
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/judaism/FAQ/08 ... ion-6.html

mikecartwright
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Oct 2011, 6:29 pm

In my view Anti Zionism is Anti Judaism.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2011, 6:33 pm

There are two aspects of Judaism: the religion, and the race. Not all Jews follow the Jewish religion, and not all religious Jews give a damn about Israel.

Anti-semitism is generally seen as a prejudice against the Jewish race. One can have a problem with how a certain branch of a religion followed by a certain portion of a group of people, without having a problem with the people as a whole.

I once dated a Jewish man who had deserted from the Israeli army. He supported the bombing of the UN camp in Lebanon 'because there were Hezbolla fighters hiding there,' but he disagreed with a lot of Israeli policies and, in fact, had deserted from the army because he didn't want to be a part of carrying them out. It would be pretty difficult to call him 'anti-Semitic.'

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2011, 6:48 pm

How about another question: if I go to Israel, and take loads of photos of the places I've eaten at and stuff, how will I decipher what the restaurant is called if it's only in Hebrew?

It is possible to be anti-Zionist without hating the Jews - indeed, there are quite a few anti-Zionist Jews about - some even exist in Israel. But anti-Zionism is often a cover for just plain Jew hatred.

Last edited by Tequila on 08 Oct 2011, 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2011, 6:52 pm

Tequila wrote:
How about another question: if I go to Israel, and take loads of photos of the places I've eaten at and stuff, how will I decipher what the restaurant is called if it's only in Hebrew?

Is that a trick question?

By asking someone who knows Hebrew to translate, or by learning it yourself.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2011, 6:53 pm

puddingmouse wrote:

I don't know anyone who speaks Hebrew.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2011, 6:56 pm

Tequila wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:

Hmm, you'd have to get an iPhone and use the itranslate thingy.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2011, 7:13 pm

puddingmouse wrote:

I won't need it there and then, I'd just need someone to tell me what something is once I get back. If it's in Roman/Western characters, it's not a problem. I suspect most will be in Roman characters anyway.

Abgal64
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Oct 2011, 7:55 pm

Tequila wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:

I won't need it there and then, I'd just need someone to tell me what something is once I get back. If it's in Roman/Western characters, it's not a problem. I suspect most will be in Roman characters anyway.
.ۆاریبیک سکریپت ازسین هیر‎اِ کان راِت یڠلیش ین ن ماَدیفاِد پعرژ=I can write English in a modified Perso-Arabic script, as seen here.

I frequently do so in my notebook, even though I cannot write the Arabic nor Persian Languages themselves.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2011, 8:24 pm

Whenever I hear/read the word "Zionist" I can see miles away that you are an anti-semitist trying too hard not to look like one.

Zionism, you do know that the whole word was made up after some scare because of some fake scrolls about a "Zion" conspiracy? That were a hoax? I mean, really, I don't get how would anyone , ever call himself an anti-Zionist and expect people to take him seriously.

I am against the state of Israel because of its actions over the years , just like I am against many other states, including mine. I don't feel the need to shield myself behind a conspiracy theory because I don't criticize Jewish people as a group due to their race. I criticize their government, just like when I criticize the US government, that doesn't make me anti-mixed.

Meant to put an anti- there.

Last edited by Vexcalibur on 09 Oct 2011, 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2011, 11:10 pm

Tequila wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:

Then you are not in Israel....

Most people will help you understand things there... It is pretty arrogant to think that all countries ought to speak English... Especially since most migrants to Israel are not from English speaking countries.

Was not spoken of the soul.

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2011, 11:14 pm

91 wrote:
Tequila wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:

Most people will help you understand things there... It is pretty arrogant to think that all countries ought to speak English... Especially since most migrants to Israel are not from English speaking countries.

there are a lot of Americans in Israel so the they should all speak English thing may work a good deal of the time.
as a heuristic not a law.

Their hungry thirsty roots??

http://jakobvirgil.blogspot.com/

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2011, 11:24 pm

JakobVirgil wrote:
91 wrote:
Tequila wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:

there are a lot of Americans in Israel so the they should all speak English thing may work a good deal of the time.

Many Israelis know at least three langauges, while Israel's official language is Hebrew, many of them know Arabic and English as well.

Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2011, 11:25 pm

JakobVirgil wrote:

They may speak English is a much better approach than they should speak English; especially in Israel where some people will want to remind you of their roots in Russia or Eastern Europe. In general people there are really friendly though and I found that if I made a small effort to speak in Hebrew they responded really well.

Vex wrote:
Zionism, you do know that the whole word was made up after some scare because of some fake scrolls about a "Zion" conspiracy? That were a hoax? I mean, really, I don't get how would anyone , ever call himself a Zionist and expect people to take him seriously.

That is not what is meant by Zionism. When someone calls themselves a Zionist it does not mean anything like that. The protocols of the elders of Zion was a hoax conspiracy that has NOTHING to do with Zionism. Zionism is a political movement that supports the return of the Jews to their ancestral homeland.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2011, 6:15 am

91 wrote:

No, no, no, no - you've got the wrong end of the stick! I've got no issue with learning a bit of Hebrew whilst I'm there, learning the language and so on. I'm not so arrogant as to think I can get away with speaking English all the time.

What I mean is that, when it comes to tagging/uploading my photos from my trip to Israel when I get home, some of the places I visited might only have names in Hebrew, not English, characters. All of the towns will have translated/transliterated names, but not all of the restaurants and bars will have their names transliterated in the photo although many will. Is that so hard to understand?

Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2011, 6:41 am

Tequila wrote:
What I mean is that, when it comes to tagging/uploading my photos from my trip to Israel when I get home, some of the places I visited might only have names in Hebrew, not English, characters. All of the towns will have translated/transliterated names, but not all of the restaurants and bars will have their names transliterated in the photo although many will. Is that so hard to understand?

My mistake... complaint withdrawn.