Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

PinkRangerV
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Oct 2011, 9:28 pm

I've been having depressive episodes for the past few years, and the doctor who diagnosed me said that was pretty normal for AS. What do I do about them? I get worn out and sad right around sunset, and the episode lasts until seven or eight at night. Can anyone help?

MountainLaurel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2011, 10:28 pm

I force myself to do what I least want to do when depressed. I start excercising again. I swim. The endorphins start to kick in within about a week of daily excercise. I start with 1/2 hr per session no less than every second day.

Walking, running, weight lifting, excercise machines all work to produce endorphins.

Arch101
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Oct 2011, 11:20 pm

Had an episode of deep, deep depression last night into this morning. This ep came with the bonus stress headache, too. Took 4 advil and walked 7 miles. Felt much better later in the day.

Christopherwillson
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2011, 8:51 pm

If i am depressed it comes in streaks, a bit here and a bit there.., i usually just go to sleep or go for a walk. or i watch the pursuit of happyness and cry till i die :P

Aspie score: 182-200

Don't know what to say.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2011, 12:17 am

regular exercise does wonders

MudandStars
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2011, 12:46 am

The things that have worked best for me over the years sound a little silly perhaps but here goes:

1. singing out loud, often - particularly when upset or down
2. reassuring myself that everything is ok, again better done out loud but possibly not when others are around
3. going for a walk - I tend to walk to a supermarket and stroll through the aisles somewhat aimlessly which is weird when supermarkets can be one of my main areas of stress at other times. It's something I used to do when I wanted to self-harm to get around people and hence away from danger so I guess it just stuck.
4. eating chocolate or drinking a hot chocolate drink, sometimes even holding the warm mug helps

I've done therapy and stuff, but have found the above tends to be more useful for me.

?Two men looked through prison bars; one saw mud and the other stars.? Frederick Langbridge