Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

sickforapathyx
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Oct 2011, 11:30 pm

It seems like every time I go onto a forum other then place, I end up eventually being insulted by a lot of users. I made a couple topics on VampireFreaks, and after a few discussions, and a topic titled "Do you ever feel your too intelligent for a girl/guy?", I got tons of insults from other users in that thread and even one of the mods called me out as "one of the most ignorant people" on the forums and said, "I know a couple people on here who I would group as "thinkers" and you aren't one of them". The topic was me saying I was a thinker, and saying how I feel underwhelmed by some girls who look up to me and think I'm smarter then them.

idk how it happens, but seems like when I go on forums like Gamefaqs or VF sometimes, I end up being one of those posters that a lot of people don't like or just flame whenever they see you post anything.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2011, 11:39 pm

That is why I am always shy on forums. I never know how I am going to come off as. When I post questions, I always explain why I am posting it so people wouldn't take it the wrong way.

sickforapathyx

08 Oct 2011, 11:46 pm

I honestly can't tell if Im using bad social skills or if forums in general are full of dickheads and wannabe intellectuals.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2011, 12:44 am

sickforapathyx wrote:
I honestly can't tell if Im using bad social skills or if forums in general are full of dickheads and wannabe intellectuals.

The latter, I think. I went on a site like that years ago, and it was full of insecure, pretentious morons. I'm curious what you said. I bet it's not at all bad or judgmental.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2011, 1:05 am

sickforapathyx wrote:

Look at how others treat others. If you notice other people get the same sort of crap too, then it's obvious they are dickheads.

Babycenter is so full of them.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2011, 4:56 am

sickforapathyx wrote:
It seems like every time I go onto a forum other then place, I end up eventually being insulted by a lot of users. I made a couple topics on VampireFreaks, and after a few discussions, and a topic titled "Do you ever feel your too intelligent for a girl/guy?", I got tons of insults from other users in that thread and even one of the mods called me out as "one of the most ignorant people" on the forums and said, "I know a couple people on here who I would group as "thinkers" and you aren't one of them". The topic was me saying I was a thinker, and saying how I feel underwhelmed by some girls who look up to me and think I'm smarter then them.

idk how it happens, but seems like when I go on forums like Gamefaqs or VF sometimes, I end up being one of those posters that a lot of people don't like or just flame whenever they see you post anything.

No, I don't know how I come off to people on forums, but you do, because people have told you.

Let us be honest, intelligence is a touchy subject. Humans rely on their intellect for survival above all else...that is not to say the more intelligent the more fit for survival, but due to our rather weak physical form with respect to other animals, we require the ability to better manipulate our surroundings and make tools and that requires a fair degree of intelligence. Thus, most humans naturally take poorly to being called unintelligent, or feel the need to challenge someone who claims themselves to be more intelligent than someone else.

Intelligence though, is actually a rather complex thing. It's important to recognize that there are different types of intelligence, and many things that can obscure someone's actual intelligence. Simply because someone is not as intelligent as you in the way you are intelligent, does not mean they aren't more intelligent than you in some other way.

An intelligent thing to do might be to contact this person who stated you were not a thinker, and ask them why they do not perceive you as such. I'm sure they will be more than happy to tell you. Resist the urge to defend yourself against the onslaught of negative comments and instead, take them into consideration and use them to attempt to better yourself.

sickforapathyx

09 Oct 2011, 12:16 pm

Chronos wrote:
sickforapathyx wrote:
An intelligent thing to do might be to contact this person who stated you were not a thinker, and ask them why they do not perceive you as such. I'm sure they will be more than happy to tell you. Resist the urge to defend yourself against the onslaught of negative comments and instead, take them into consideration and use them to attempt to better yourself.

I did that, and the moderator responded with a message making fun of my grammar.

DeanAdamFry
Toucan
Toucan

09 Oct 2011, 2:37 pm

There is critism and then there is hate, two different things.

Most people now-a-days just hate and hate, definitely on stuff like what you posted as a topic and always try to one-up most people to prove they are "smart" or "clever", I just find it pathetic.

You did nothing wrong, most people are very sensitive and react poorly in a dickhead manner, people like them just let let them eat each other alive and laugh at the fact that they ARE less intelligent because a real intelligent person wouldn't give two shakes about the matter and instead discuss it in a polite manner instead of being HATE HATE HATE and then try to insult you.

At the end of the day, your the intelligent one out of all those dickheads because you were the one who tried to resolve the issue instead of arguing at their negative comments.

fiooo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Oct 2011, 6:49 pm

Dude, you're on the internet. It is full of trolls and idiots. Gamefaqs and VF aren't known as intellectual areas of the internet... If you don't blend in, you're going to get made fun of. Try something like the straightdope message boards if you're looking for serious online discussions.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2011, 12:49 am

I think it's best to stop caring how you come off and continue to post your real thoughts.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2011, 3:48 pm

VF is full of ignorant conformists who are not very open to personal differences...if you want to be surrounded by people who unconditionally accept you, that is not the place to go. It is also full of people who try to fit in to cover up the fact that they are the ones who have issues themselves but constantly deny that they do (cough, my ex-boyfriend, cough).

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 5:44 am

fiooo wrote:
Dude, you're on the internet. It is full of trolls and idiots. Gamefaqs and VF aren't known as intellectual areas of the internet... If you don't blend in, you're going to get made fun of. Try something like the straightdope message boards if you're looking for serious online discussions.

Topix is another forum that has trolls on it.