Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2011, 3:53 pm

Does anyone else here get motion sickness from certain kinds of video games? I usually get it when the point of view of the camera is behind your character and the camera moves on it's own as you move the character. I also get it from watching videos filmed with a shaky hand.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2011, 5:09 pm

i don't play video games, so i don't know the answer to the specific question, but when the earth and space science teacher spun the stars in the planetarium round and round, the whole class felt nauseated. i'd say you're having a pretty typical reaction.

DialAForAwesome
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2011, 8:37 pm

I usually don't but here are a few times when I did.

The first time was when I was playing Final Fantasy on GBA (the Dawn of Souls version). I played the game for 16 hours straight and beat it in one sitting. After beating it I felt REALLY sick and came close to throwing up. Went straight to bed and thankfully never got sick. I vowed never to play a game like that for one sitting ever again.

The second time was when Resident Evil 5 came out. Me and my friend beat that game in one sitting, in about 8 1/2 hours. Felt sick again; went straight to sleep when I got home. Oddly this never happened with Resident Evil 4, even though the first time I played it, I put 11 hours into it right off the bat.

Marvel vs. Capcom 3 made me a little nauseous for a few minutes after a marathon of it (like 5 or 6 hours). I got used to it eventually though and was able to play for up to 10 hours without even feeling a little sick.

Fallout 3 I once played for 12 hours straight, but nothing happened. I only stopped because I had to work the next morning.

Normally if I play a fighting game or something (except for MvC3 at first) it doesn't affect me. It seems that certain shooters and RPGs do, though.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2011, 10:04 am

Yes.

I usually only get it with older first person shooters (I first noticed it back in the day with Wolfenstein 3D), but it varies...I guess it depends on how long it's been since I've played them. Sometimes I can go back as far as the first two DOOMs and be perfectly fine for hours, sometimes it will have been so long that even Quake will trigger it.

I've also had it happen with Sonic Adventure 2 on the Dreamcast, but been perfectly fine with the first Sonic Adventure. I wonder if it has something to do with 2 being 60 FPS vs. 1 at 30 FPS.