Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Annmaria
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2011, 7:29 pm

Any insight, my family history is of parent with mild retardation, siblings dx with mild retardation I dont have the same dx but my son has a dx of AS. My husband family has a history of autism and schizophrenia as does mine.

Should we have the fragile x test. We don't plan to have any more children we have two one daughter dx with ADD, GAD, one son dx with AS, ADHD, OCD and other members of the family dx with ADHD. Also there is other members not dx but show traits of autism etc.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2011, 8:17 pm

wouldnt hurt although i dont know exactly what thereputic value it would have.i have read about the fragile x chromozone but am not an expert.although this forum is great for getting answers the question you ask is best answered by a phd that specializes in fragile x related issues

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2011, 9:22 pm

Its better to get the test done and know for sure. Ask a doctor.

MB
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Oct 2011, 4:46 pm

Yes, I would definitely advocate testing. For multiple reasons. Here are some of them:
- there are different methods for teaching/therapy if someone has FX w/ASD vs. ASD but no FX
- there are many amazing drug trials going on aimed at the biological differences in one with Fragile X; you can't be in the trials if you don't have a FX dx; you probably won't learn about the info if you're not in the Fragile X world
- there are multiple issues that may affect carriers also - you and your extended family members may want to know this! Including:
--- FXTAS - Fragile X-associated Tremor/Ataxia Syndrome (sometimes misdiagnosed as Parkinsons and/or Alzheimers; more prevalent in the male carrier population than female
--- FXPOI - Fragile X-associated Premature Ovarian Insufficiency (which can mean a few things, including early menopause)
- when we have family members who get Fragile X diagnoses later, they usually have a few A-HA! moments - the support, treatment methods, etc are often a bit more focused for the family than those in the autism world... you'll find more folks with the same specific issues

Again... I haven't even stated all the reasons. I absolutely advocate testing! We now have a number of people in our family who have concrete reasons for various issues and more focus. Good luck to you!