Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2011, 6:00 pm

anna-banana wrote:
[my point was - it's ok to make your own diet choices, but we need to be careful about what we advocate. we should remain skeptical about advocating this paleo diet to the general population unless we have solid evidence to back up its health benefits. just imagine if the WHO was to replace the standard food guide pyramid with the paleo-diet recommendations! disaster all the way. and the purity of the original idea has nothing to do with this (to even compare the diet staples of our ancestors with ours is nonsensical; and to compare a staple produce, say olives, in the state that we'd arrived at through thousands of years of selective breeding in order to have the right fat rendering ratio, could only be born in a very primitive, not to say "paleo", mind) if health benefits are all you're after, you still need to do your own research.

This is a crticism not of the health of the diet itself but of the economic privilege needed to follow it in a western country. (If you actually are a hunter-gatherer, and there are some left, this is your normal diet anyway.) It's very true that the planet can't handle 6 billion people eating this way. You really do need grains to keep this many people from starving. However, I'm not going to sacrifice my own health and continue down the path to diabetes and heart disease- where my doctor said I was most definately headed- because 6 billion people can't follow along with me. I know that's exercising privilege. But I won't sacrifice my own health for principle.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2011, 6:26 pm

Janissy wrote:
anna-banana wrote:
[my point was - it's ok to make your own diet choices, but we need to be careful about what we advocate. we should remain skeptical about advocating this paleo diet to the general population unless we have solid evidence to back up its health benefits. just imagine if the WHO was to replace the standard food guide pyramid with the paleo-diet recommendations! disaster all the way. and the purity of the original idea has nothing to do with this (to even compare the diet staples of our ancestors with ours is nonsensical; and to compare a staple produce, say olives, in the state that we'd arrived at through thousands of years of selective breeding in order to have the right fat rendering ratio, could only be born in a very primitive, not to say "paleo", mind) if health benefits are all you're after, you still need to do your own research.

This is a crticism not of the health of the diet itself but of the economic privilege needed to follow it in a western country. (If you actually are a hunter-gatherer, and there are some left, this is your normal diet anyway.) It's very true that the planet can't handle 6 billion people eating this way. You really do need grains to keep this many people from starving. However, I'm not going to sacrifice my own health and continue down the path to diabetes and heart disease- where my doctor said I was most definately headed- because 6 billion people can't follow along with me. I know that's exercising privilege. But I won't sacrifice my own health for principle.

and I absolutely agree with you - my diet relies on a similar principle, and I'm absolutely conscious of the fact that it would be unsustainable if it were to be made massive. I'm just kinda concerned about this paleo thing being such a fad with very little scientific basis to back up it's narrative/theme, outside of what we already know.

KemoreJ
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Oct 2011, 9:22 pm

"my point was - it's ok to make your own diet choices, but we need to be careful about what we advocate. we should remain skeptical about advocating this paleo diet to the general population unless we have solid evidence to back up its health benefits. just imagine if the WHO was to replace the standard food guide pyramid with the paleo-diet recommendations! disaster all the way. and the purity of the original idea has nothing to do with this (to even compare the diet staples of our ancestors with ours is nonsensical; and to compare a staple produce, say olives, in the state that we'd arrived at through thousands of years of selective breeding in order to have the right fat rendering ratio, could only be born in a very primitive, not to say "paleo", mind) if health benefits are all you're after, you still need to do your own research"

I think there is a tendency with humans to assume that when a person speaks of what they are doing they automatically think there is an expectation to follow. Maybe that is more an NT trait? As I am HFA I have been known to do that but generally when I say I am doing something, it is simply that. If it inspires someone then fine. If not, that was not my intent. I always try to speak simply of what I believe in and leave others to make their own choices.

:D When I wrote "This is a pragmatic approach, I was referring to the person before me".

The world and the internet is FULL of evidence for whatever you choose to have an interest in. How much evidence does one need? How many times must it be studied, under what conditions, by whom, in order to be embraced and supported by whom in order to be embraced by the majority?

There is just too much vested interest and misinformation when there is money to be made. You know I have noticed that in these threads there is far less resistance to "mainstream" pharmaceutical-based medicines than there is for complementary or "alternative" remedies. Though I feel the posters on this thread are genuine and respectful, the outright resistance elsewhere is less considered.

I really have no interest in the "scientific method" with regards to peoples health and that of the planet. I have no interest in convincing anyone of anything. I merely wish to connect with like minded people and share ideas. I do not waste my energy tryng to convince people who are not interested. That is a fools game.

Besides, anyone who decides to believe what I say and adopt what works for me without first listening to their own intuition is crazy!
I simply think people need to be more proactive with their own health.

The best way to sort through the quagmire of economic self interest and misinformation is to itrust ones own innate wisdom.

:D :D :D