Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2011, 12:02 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ9x1keJW4A[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBHcL0NMnV4[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQW_TXahsKY[/youtube]

Anyway, that's my...hmm, I don't know if they're my favorite, but they're definitely right up there, Japanese pop group, Perfume. As you can see, their music is pretty hardcore to the max. I love it. It gets me so pumped whenever I listen to it. Anyone else on here like Perfume?

Besides that, I have kind of another question about this. I have NVLD, and I have another friend with NVLD, and we can sort of see patterns in each other. One thing him and my other friend theorized, well, I listen to girly pop music like Perfume in varying forms all the time basically. He thinks its due to me having an undeveloped/crappy emotional side of myself. It's only recently when I've gotten into a bit darker state that I've started listening to some darker stuff like Crystal Castles. One thing I've noticed is, my friend, right, well, maybe he's a bit of a music snob, I don't think I'll be the judge of that. He listens to like, Tool and stuff a lot. Pretty like, unhappy music, I've noticed a lot of people on here seem to listen to like, lots of "dark" music much of the time. Why is this? Mind you, it wasn't like this my whole life, oddly, as I got like, more Christian, I had less urge to listen to like, darker music. I used to listen to like metal and rap in high school, but then as my dirty little secret, I'd listen to eurobeat a ton on the side. But then as I got older, I guess, I grew out of that almost entirely and my music tastes got girlier and poppier.

Also, one thing I'm curious of, too, is there anyone here that listens to like, pop music? My friends said that it's probably because my emotions are so undeveloped that I listen to so much pop music of varying kinds. I mean, I don't listen to radio music very much mind you, but 80s pop, English and lots of Japanese, eurobeat, eurodance, and happy hardcore a lot. I notice as situations in my life got really bad, I'd want to listen to like, lots of this sort of stuff as escape I guess. Stuff like this a lot. I don't know exactly what I'm trying to say here, but I'm giving some thought into their theory of an underdeveloped emotional part of me, and it makes sense.

So besides being about one of my favorite J-Pop groups, I guess I'm asking in this thread, does anyone else sort of have similar experiences as mine? I guess I find pop music like what I posted to be more relatable for some reason. Uh...anyone else have similar musical inclinations as me? Anyone got anything to say regarding that? BTW, I'm DXed NVLD, and from what I remember IQ gap verbal to nonverbal was like 130/80. Oh, and on Simon Baron Cohen's empathy testhere I took it twice and scored 14 both times.

So yeah, the jpop group Perfume and that whole boring thing I wrote about myself, any opinions?

Thanks and sorry for this boring slightly incoherent thread.

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2011, 11:52 pm

that is rather interesting, I never heard it articulated in that way until recently (the bit about emotional maturity and being drawn to girly music). For me, for the longest time, it was R&B and girly or light euro techno (think Abercrombie & Fitch Store Music). This is how my taste in music evolved(the songs below plus the year that I first heard it), starting with the first techno song I ever heard, E-Type - "Calling Your name" ... this song had me hooked and was on auto replay on my cd-player for weeks on end. I then got more exposed into dance music in general Roger Sanchez's Another chance, and it was this point that I realized what drew me to dance music was the passion and the strong emotional rifts/chord-progressions, and the contrast between them.

1998 E-Type - Calling Your Name
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXJm-oghlR4[/youtube]

2001 Roger Sanchez - Another chance
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9Xtvj_JVSM[/youtube]

2004 Kate Ryan - Only If I
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj2DBx4U62w[/youtube]

2006 September - Cry For You
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxu6iQ28arw[/youtube]

I now listen to all forms of dance and electronica and have really expanded my taste in electronic music and can no longer stand most R&B or light euro girly techno but I only consider myself to have matured a little and most of that maturity has come in what I'm able to control through self-awareness as there is still a lot that will draw an emotionally inappropriate reaction, and I can't help it.

Now, if my music has female vocals, it'll most likely sound like the following type of music:

Regular House / Dance / Progressive music:
Kaskade feat. mindy Gledhill - Eyes
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7RyZ4Zf4Dk[/youtube]

or Indie / Nu-Disco / Minimal / Tech-House
Philipp Ort feat. Isabelle Carron - Paris Nights (Inxec & Matt Tolfrey MixRoots and Wings Music)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAOHAVf25gs&list=PL211FFA7787ABE8B2&index=2[/youtube]

I think no matter what, (this is based on nothing more then my limited experience) we'll always be the way we are no matter how our tastes on certain things evolve. New experiences, learning from our current or old experiences may be perspective changing and expand our self-awareness, like it's not right to break-down when certain things don't work out the way you wanted them to, but you can't always help feeling a certain or getting a rise our of things that bother a normal person less. As someone on here noted, we don' suffer from a developmental delay so much as we develop differently from the normal person.

I read an interesting article that said your emotions also be effected by your beliefs, and if you change your belief system and what you believe to be true, you can minimize the damage a bit because when you emote childishly, it's often just chemicals without any thought at all. and I guess you can index your subconscious to spot out certain situations and react with perspective (on the new ideology or beliefs you've adopted.) It was some dude's blog and I don't care about it's validity, I'm going to give it a go anyways.

anyways, sorry for the rant, and thanks for sharing!

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2011, 12:27 am

See, for me, I'm aware that type of music exists, you know, "classy" house music like that. However, just like food, no matter how much you expand your horizons, you'll probably still end up eating at Taco Bell sometimes when you're feeling sad or whatever. So like, I try to stay a tad up to date on new house songs or whatever coming out, a little bit, mostly based on what my friends show me. However, if I was in a store, and some random Kaskade song came on, I'd be like "oh, that's kinda neat" and then if Perfume came on I'd be excited like a little schoolgirl. You know, I'd like to be "sophisticated" and listen to, I don't know, minimal...progressive...deep...house. But in the end, I like girly jpop, eurobeat, and happy hardcore. Like despite my vast musical tastes, it feels like I "default" back to those.

It's good to see someone else has somewhat the same experience as me. I don't know, I thought this thread would just get zero responses after not seeing any for a week, so that's cool.

I think an easy way to sum up what I have to say is, a lot of Aspies seem to like My Little Pony Friendship is Magic, for whatever reason, and it seems like Perfume and other girly happy music like that for me is my My Little Pony Friendship is Magic.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emTOaBPX9k0[/youtube]

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2011, 1:14 am

1000Knives wrote:
See, for me, I'm aware that type of music exists, you know, "classy" house music like that. However, just like food, no matter how much you expand your horizons, you'll probably still end up eating at Taco Bell sometimes when you're feeling sad or whatever. So like, I try to stay a tad up to date on new house songs or whatever coming out, a little bit, mostly based on what my friends show me. However, if I was in a store, and some random Kaskade song came on, I'd be like "oh, that's kinda neat" and then if Perfume came on I'd be excited like a little schoolgirl. You know, I'd like to be "sophisticated" and listen to, I don't know, minimal...progressive...deep...house. But in the end, I like girly jpop, eurobeat, and happy hardcore. Like despite my vast musical tastes, it feels like I "default" back to those.

It's good to see someone else has somewhat the same experience as me. I don't know, I thought this thread would just get zero responses after not seeing any for a week, so that's cool.

I think an easy way to sum up what I have to say is, a lot of Aspies seem to like My Little Pony Friendship is Magic, for whatever reason, and it seems like Perfume and other girly happy music like that for me is my My Little Pony Friendship is Magic.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emTOaBPX9k0[/youtube]

no, i most likely miswrote.

My point is: I am not evolved despite growing out of girly techno music. I only posted those songs and videos to showcase my long journey in the field of electronica. It started by me resonating on an emotional level with the passionate chord progressions, and often had little to do with the words spoken and more to do with the beat I was hearing. The videos listed above was a reflection of how I'm at where I'm at today and this passion of mine (electronica), and this self-reflection would never have happened had this post not come up, so I have you to thank for that :)

It's just a matter of taste and some people like deep house as I do and some like Jpop as you do.

We were both drawn (I think) to girly dance music (and R&B as well in my case) because of our emotional maturity(after some thought, I can attest that that was my case), but to grow out of that style of music isn't a sign of emotional growth or maturity. My final thoughts were that maybe we can grow out of our emotional immaturity, but for now, my view is that there is certain things or situation that will always make us feel the way we do, even if we've gained the sense of awareness that perhaps we shouldn't react or feel that way.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2011, 9:30 am

Yeah, I thought about it later, I mean, I didn't mean to diss deep house or anything. I listen to it sometimes. But like, despite listening to complex music, I still don't foresee myself growing out of Perfume.