Iran sentences film actress 90 lashes

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

12 Oct 2011, 9:50 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
jojobean wrote:
What is Sharia??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharia

Hmmm perfect example why church and state should be seperate. I have found that power and religious piety to be incompatable.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2011, 1:03 pm

There is much to laud in the Muslim and Persian cultures, but barbarism of this type serves only to divert our attention from that.

There is no reason that Arabic and Person cultures should mimic the West or adopt our values. Cultural diversity is part of our entire species' rich patrimony. But there is, I suggest, a social evolution that takes us from the reliance upon coercion and violence to well order our societies to the Rule of Law. By all means let that law be culturally relevant to the people it rules, but if there is any natural law in the world, I think that one of its tenets would be that violence is not a proper means by which to resolve disputes.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2011, 1:09 pm

visagrunt wrote:
There is much to laud in the Muslim and Persian cultures, but barbarism of this type serves only to divert our attention from that.

There is no reason that Arabic and Person cultures should mimic the West or adopt our values. Cultural diversity is part of our entire species' rich patrimony. But there is, I suggest, a social evolution that takes us from the reliance upon coercion and violence to well order our societies to the Rule of Law. By all means let that law be culturally relevant to the people it rules, but if there is any natural law in the world, I think that one of its tenets would be that violence is not a proper means by which to resolve disputes.

Or to punish people who would prefer to leave the system, or to punish women who have less than four witnesses to a rape.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin