Does your taste in music isolate you?
Yes 76%  76%  [ 81 ]
No 24%  24%  [ 25 ]
Total votes : 106

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 3:06 pm

Well I got to be the biggest victim of this thread. Every time I place a youtube music video in a typical "what the flying f**k are you listening to" thread, the thread sinks to the second page and beyond. I only know one guy in the whole world who shares my music taste slightly.

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 3:29 pm

I can't remember what you like, Uprising, only that it's somewhere in the 'metal' area...

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 3:33 pm

Bun wrote:
I can't remember what you like, Uprising, only that it's somewhere in the 'metal' area...

The 'metal' area, the 'drum & bass' area, the 'techno' area, the 'psy' area, the 'gabber' area, the 'dubstep' area,... I think the 'noise' area would be more appropriate to sum it up.

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 3:39 pm

Noise, eh, are you a sunnO))) fan?

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 12:41 pm

Bun wrote:
Noise, eh, are you a sunnO))) fan?

Sorry for the late reply, the answer is no, but I do not mind their stuff.

It's in the good direction.

I meant 'noise' in the way of noisy music aka loud heavy fast distorted but not necessarily the noise genre itself.

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 1:03 pm

Oh, alright. :D

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 1:19 pm

Bun wrote:
Oh, alright. :D

I guess I'm raised to listen to heavy music, I grew up with it (rebel factor?) and can't let go of it, unlike my mates and nephews who are all sick of it now and prefer the musically sober life.

YourMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 3:18 pm

RushKing wrote:
Whenever I say I listen to metal, the person will usually ask if I listen to some mainstream metal bands, Metallica, Dream Theater etc. And I will usually say no but sometimes act like I like one to not make them feel bad. It’s not that I have a bias against mainstream metal; it’s just that many of bands I happen to like are very obscure. Sometimes I will even avoid the subject of music in a conversation, just because the chances of finding a common interest with anyone is very slim. If I said I listen to Arcturus, Urizen, Persefone etc., they wouldn’t have any idea of what I am talking about, and assume I am some sort of snob that listens to bands just because they are obscure.

Then there is the worst scenario where they are someone who stereotypes metal music; thinks its trashy bar music, smashing instruments together, or "just screaming". Then you have to awkwardly lecture them about the genre. :roll:

Does anyone else have to avoid music conversations with people? :?

Yes. Can't really say to other people ''I'm so into stoner doom/old school death/funeral doom/black metal/ classical music mainly from the time of Rachmaninov to Pärt''. Well, of course I can, but if I'm planning to work with them on some project I'd rather keep things as neutral as possible.

Quite a bit of my music is rather obscure as well, but I don't think it has anything to do with snobism. A lot of music produced for the mainstream market just isn't appealing.

YourMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 3:19 pm

Gravechylde wrote:
Yes, I listen to metal. Even with other metalheads, because the types of metal that I listen to, don't get much attention.
Doom metal, even though I can say "stuff like Black Sabbath", most people have no clue what it is. Heavy metal, while there are mainstream bands here, and i like a lot of them. I usually listen to the "epic" style of this genre like Manilla Road, Brocas Helm, and Cirith Ungol, which never really reached any sort of popularity.

From the epic genre and the stuff I know of it I can only enjoy the work of Dark Forest, which is partially to be defined as epic, if I'm not mistaken.

Gravechylde
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Apr 2012, 6:29 pm

YourMajesty wrote:
From the epic genre and the stuff I know of it I can only enjoy the work of Dark Forest, which is partially to be defined as epic, if I'm not mistaken.

Haven't heard of Dark Forest. Here's an example of what epic metal I listen to:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G89kIU7Vxtg[/youtube]

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2012, 12:46 pm

I think it's best to like a mixture of mainstream and underground bands, but not let other coerce you into liking said mainstream bands. My social links are bands like metallica (Black album/Load/Reload), Linkin Park, All That Remains and Machine Head.

Anyone else have bands that double as social links?

Many mainstream bands are trash of course, but some good bands get attention they deserve, like Rise Against.

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Chatroom nicks: MetalFluttershy/MetalTwilight/SanityTheorist

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2012, 9:12 pm

Yeah, I have more Manic Street Preachers fans connections than connections from any other group of people. A lot of times I don't even remember that's how I know all those people. :lol:

Briana_Lopez
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Apr 2012, 10:00 pm

Half of the time my taste in music isolates me, and other times it doen't. Most of the time I listen to mainstream music, but mostly hip hop, R&B, and rap. But at the same time I can't help but listen to the Jonas Brothers (yeah I'm still a little 10-year-old at heart), *NSYNC, Backstreet Boys, New Kids On The Block, TLC, Foreigner, Metallica, Nickelback, No Doubt, Michael Jackson, Aerosmith, 3 Doors Down, Godsmack, Panic! At The Disco, Puddle oF Mudd, Play, Selena Gomez, Marc Anthony, Disturbed, Blink 182, Hollywood Undead, Daddy Yankee, Colbie Caillat, Big Time Rush, and Lonely Island. Now that I think about it, I think I like more non-mainstream music than actual mainstream music haaha :lol:

Last edited by Briana_Lopez on 08 Apr 2012, 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2012, 11:40 pm

Maybe mine does to an extent but at the same time, I don't really care.

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2012, 11:41 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
Maybe mine does to an extent but at the same time, I don't really care.

Cool. :)

Cutlass_Jack
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Apr 2012, 2:13 pm

Most of the time when I say Joy Division people are like "who is that". :( Perhaps I would have better luck in Britain.