Does your taste in music isolate you?
Yes 76%  76%  [ 81 ]
No 24%  24%  [ 25 ]
Total votes : 106

RushKing
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2011, 3:04 pm

Whenever I say I listen to metal, the person will usually ask if I listen to some mainstream metal bands, Metallica, Dream Theater etc. And I will usually say no but sometimes act like I like one to not make them feel bad. It’s not that I have a bias against mainstream metal; it’s just that many of bands I happen to like are very obscure. Sometimes I will even avoid the subject of music in a conversation, just because the chances of finding a common interest with anyone is very slim. If I said I listen to Arcturus, Urizen, Persefone etc., they wouldn’t have any idea of what I am talking about, and assume I am some sort of snob that listens to bands just because they are obscure.

Then there is the worst scenario where they are someone who stereotypes metal music; thinks its trashy bar music, smashing instruments together, or "just screaming". Then you have to awkwardly lecture them about the genre. :roll:

Does anyone else have to avoid music conversations with people? :?

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2011, 3:35 pm

Sometimes I feel this way. I mostly like dark "pretentious" music. Major keys and consonance annoy me after a while. I dig avant garde rock / post rock. Metal, not so much.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2011, 3:47 pm

I would be worried if I could talk about music with just anyone. so yeah, it is isolating in a way, but in a good way, like a secret-handshake club sort of thing.

IDontGetIt
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Oct 2011, 3:54 pm

Talking to most people about music is the same as talking about pretty much anything - their only understanding of a subject is rooted firmly in the mainstream. Many years ago I didn't realise this. Not only that, I assumed everybody loved music (of whatever genre floated their boat) with as much passion as I did. As time went on it slowly dawned on me that music is just a background thing for most people, and they don't seem to apply any choice when buying it, they just get "that thing that you're supposed to like at the moment".

Laconvivencia
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2011, 4:45 pm

Not at all, I like loads of Mainstream Music.

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2011, 11:44 pm

Being an avid fan of very specific musicians, yes. Most of the people I discuss my musical tastes with have never heard of any of them.

Similarly, I likely have no idea who the bands/artists other people listen to are. I don't really know much outside what I like/have liked.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 2:58 pm

Yes. My favorite genre which I've been listening to already for 14 years, to even name it is quite often useless, to then say its electronic is to have it pejoritized and then to explaine that there are names to subgenres in electronic instantly rings the snob alarm.

IDontGetIt wrote:
As time went on it slowly dawned on me that music is just a background thing for most people, and they don't seem to apply any choice when buying it, they just get "that thing that you're supposed to like at the moment".

Another reason I'm very careful about it. Most people can't relate to actually liking music for music, to them its just more social currency and its nearly as odd as liking an 80's or 90's style of clothing that's now come unfashionable.

There was actually a guy I used to work with who made himself out to be a bit hip-hop fan and admitted that any time he got a brand new cd he would listen to that cd - constantly - for two weeks until he wore it out, then he'd get rid of it, rinse, and repeat with the next new album he could find. Don't think I'll ever get my head around that.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

LexingtonDeville
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 3:30 pm

RushKing wrote:
Whenever I say I listen to metal, the person will usually ask if I listen to some mainstream metal bands, Metallica, Dream Theater etc. And I will usually say no but sometimes act like I like one to not make them feel bad. It’s not that I have a bias against mainstream metal; it’s just that many of bands I happen to like are very obscure. Sometimes I will even avoid the subject of music in a conversation, just because the chances of finding a common interest with anyone is very slim. If I said I listen to Arcturus, Urizen, Persefone etc., they wouldn’t have any idea of what I am talking about, and assume I am some sort of snob that listens to bands just because they are obscure.

Then there is the worst scenario where they are someone who stereotypes metal music; thinks its trashy bar music, smashing instruments together, or "just screaming". Then you have to awkwardly lecture them about the genre. :roll:

Does anyone else have to avoid music conversations with people? :?

I have encountered that stereotype countless times in the past, usually the awkward lecture rarely works with someone ignorant. Most people's general concept of metal is always the glam scene from the 80's, they just don't want to know about thrash/death/black/power and doom/gothic metal.

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe: Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion; I've watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time; like tears in rain. Time to die." Roy Batty

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 11:25 pm

My problem in life is that I confuse people. Pretty much with everything I do, I'm a walking paradox, and music is no exception.

I actually have VERY broad taste in music, but while being very broad, it's very specific, if that makes sense. So when people ask what I like, it's a bit tough to answer. I usually answer I mostly listen to techno. One big thing with me, my music, for being a guy tends to be pretty girly. I listen to lots of eurobeat, and eurodance, and house music, usually stuff I consider to be somewhat romantic in lyrics, etc. I also listen to lots of Japanese music, again, Japanese pop that's sorta the same style of music, but Japanese. I'm very willing to sort of "try" music, ie, I've downloaded some Russian songs after hearing them at the skating rink played by coaches, so it gets added to my big mix of music. I do that a lot, hear something I like and just run with it more or less. So I can usually hold up a music conversation, as I know a lot about stuff, but when it comes down to my personal views and tastes, they're usually quite odd to most people. I also like weird stuff like Thomas Dolby or Yellow Magic Orchestra, too, which while I don't really have a propensity for "arty" music like that, I do like some, but I don't fit into the "crowd" of arty music, for example.

As far as relating, pretty much a resounding no. I don't fit very well into a musical clique or group very well at all. At the same time, lots of people really LIKE my musical tastes. Once I sorta figure out what's appropriate or inappropriate, I do pretty well. People at the skating rink, especially the older people, tend to really like my music. In general I tend to get along better with older people, but older people usually appreciate my music taste better, mainly as it's not usually about how greatly skilled people are at fornicating or how angry they are.

Basically, I as a person just confuse people in everything I do because they find it hard to categorize me, and this happens with music.

arilevanah
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Oct 2011, 9:17 am

lol, I recently made some friends.... who got into metal because I liked it. I have no clue, man.

But yeah, my taste in music definitely puts me on some island of .... the loneliness of liking bands nobody has heard of. Well, I'm sure people have heard of them, its just that they're not existing in real life, for me to meet (and probably drive out a window.)

And I'm not really brave enough to go to concerts by myself anymore... so I sit on my computer.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

13 Oct 2011, 9:36 am

Although I do listen to some mainstream music, I listen to older bands like the Eagles, Poison, etc. I don't know what it is with me, but I just prefer it because their voices aren't so computer enhanced. I like it when computers add subtle effects, not change the whole thing into a techno/hip hop nightmare. There are a lot of Justin Bieber fans at my school (which I do not get at all), so the only people I can relate to is the Junior or Senior guys.

HerrGrimm
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2011, 5:51 pm

When I told someone I listened to black metal, they first thought it was metal music from Africa...so yes it does...

...although I do like NWA, DMX, and other stuff outside BM as well.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2011, 6:07 pm

No, my taste in music isn't isolating. I listen to just about everything... obscure, strange, mainstream... etc. There's good in all genres and I've found most bands have at least one song I'll like.

Not only that, but I've found most people that enjoy music love hearing new things.

GammaGeek
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2011, 7:36 pm

I listen to a lot of classic rock, old pop and swing music, and people actually seem to think that's pretty cool. My love for Heroes del Silencio, Enrique Iglesias, Nena and Die Toten Hosen is even cooler. And just about everyone I've met likes Weird Al.

The ONLY time my weird taste have ever set me apart is when The Backstreet Boys are brought up. I can't help but to still love them. Does anyone even remember who they are?! GAH.

RevolutionWaver
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Oct 2011, 5:44 pm

For me, it isn't what I like that isolates me. I know plenty of people older than me who have introduced me to many "obscure" bands that are now my favorites! I do, however, have trouble with people my age relating to me music wise. I've always assumed that they are avid fans of other genres, and that they have a rudimentary at least knowledge of its history. It isn't the genres I listen to that isolate me, necessarily. It's the fact that I know an overwhelming amount of music in the given styles I enjoy. And even if a person older than me doesn't know about something like dream pop or post punk or grunge, with people older than me, I use the fact that this is a 13 year old kid talking about the influence of Television's Marquee Moon or debating whether or not My Bloody Valentine's Ecstasy and Wine is better than Loveless. I wasn't even alive when Loveless was made, let alone Marquee Moon!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2011, 3:54 am

the few people who have been close enough to me to know what music i listen to, have told me the same basic thing- "you are an anachronism." IOW i belong to a different era.