Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2012, 3:35 pm

It does when I listen to blue grass lot of people can't stand blue grass music

gemstone123
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2012, 7:41 pm

It used to as I wasn't really into music at all and it was a popular conversation topic. However relatively recently I've got into metal and as a few mates of mine in a club at my university are also fans it has helped me create more of a connection with them.

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ...

umenneske
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 May 2012, 10:44 am

Yes, a bit. But I hardly ever talk to people about music, so it's not much of a problem. It also got better when my interest in black metal became less intense and I finally began listening to something else :)

ttqs84
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 May 2012, 9:26 pm

Oh yeah, totally. I'm currently studying in Colombia where Salsa, Merengue, Pop, and Hard Rock are commonplace. Indie, Alternative, and Punk is what I'm into. But no one knows who The Strokes, The Yeah Yeah Yeahs, or The Ramones are. Not even the people in my school know any of these bands or know the genres.

anarchybovine
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 May 2012, 6:40 pm

I live in a small town where most kids listen to country and Top 40. I've had several years of experience in music and I think it made me harder to listen to the kind of music people in my area. Now head an hour southwest to Madison, and there will be a lot more people with similar tastes in music as me. I listen to a lot of Alternative and Indie music, with some Folk Rock artists and even a few Christian artists thrown in. I also appreciate Classic Rock, Celtic music, and Classical music. I even like an underground rapper or two. I've been labelled as a hipster just because of my tastes in music. Just because I don't listen to Top 40 or country doesn't make me a hipster.

GrantingtheRant
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 12:20 am

I don't like a lot of electronic music because it doesn't have the same drive live instruments have. Most of the people i know are fans of Electronic/Techno/Trance. Most of the stuff i listen too is either old or obscure. A lot of metal, punk, new wave and alternative, but I do not like Led Zeppelin, Metallica, Foo Fighters or Pink Floyd, so I'm kinda obscured by the rockers, too.

CSBurks
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 9:41 am

More so when I was younger than now. Mainly because I listened to classical and hated hip hop and some other popular nonsense.