You know you're in grad school when......

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

chssmstrjk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Oct 2011, 5:15 pm

It's been almost two months since I officially began grad school. In that 2-month time period, I have experienced how it feels to be a grad student and someone who has a 9 to 5 job. It's EXTREMELY busy and tiring So far, I have come up with a few ways to tell that you're in grad school. I'll start out my listing those ways:

You know you're in grad school when....

1 It takes you 6 to 8 hours just to complete a homework assignment.

2. You have to spend pretty much the entire weekend doing homework, studying for tests/quizzes, readings that are going to be in-class discussion the following week, and whatever else you need to do just to keep up with grad school :x.

3. You have to stay up late into the night just to get a homework assignment done and even then you might not get it completely done :tired:.

If you have a way to know that you're in grad school and isn't already on this list, then feel free to make a post in this thread about it.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 5:24 pm

You know you're in grad school when...

4. Freshmen call you "Sir" or "Ma'am".

5. People having fun suddenly become quiet when you walk into the room.

6. Professors don't mind when you address them by their first names.

7. You can finally afford to eat off-campus more than once a month.

8. You've been issued a key to the controlled-substances storeroom.

9. You've finished your map to the campus' steam tunnels.

10. Getting good grades means something to you.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 6:19 pm

you know you're in grad school when:

you do professional level work and pay for the priviledge of doing it, or almost as bad, get paid peanuts for it.

you have "instant" friends, because everyone in your classes loves the subject and wants to be there as much as you do.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 7:24 pm

chssmstrjk wrote:
2. You have to spend pretty much the entire weekend doing homework, studying for tests/quizzes, readings that are going to be in-class discussion the following week, and whatever else you need to do just to keep up with grad school :x.

What grad program wastes your time with tests and quizzes? Quizzes are for children.

To continue where Fnord left off:

11. You are asked to fill in teaching when your professor goes out of town.
12. You spend more time working on research projects than you do on actual classes.
13. You have a favorite flavor/brand of ramen.
14. It's not awkward to run into your prof at the local bar.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 9:10 pm

Grad school sounds like fun! I'm just on my AA but have hopes for a PhD. I'm odd!! I told the professor I LIKED presenting statistics in a speech and LOVE the college research database although honestly Google takes 2 seconds vs. 5 clicks on the college website to 100's of databases. Can't wait to HOPEFULLY pass Spanish 1 & 2 and put that behind me!! !! That's the course I'm struggling in now. :-) Hope you guys like Grad school!! !!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 9:34 pm

15. Everything you see, hear, or touch reminds you of something in your discipline.

16. You have ever spent more than $50 on photocopying while researching a single paper.

17. You have accepted guilt as inherent feature of relaxation.

18. You find yourself explaining to children that you're "in 20th grade."

19. You look forward to taking some time off to do laundry.

20. You have ever brought a scholarly article to a bar.

21. You have difficulty reading anything that doesn't have footnotes.

22. You understand jokes about Foucault.

23. Saturday nights spent studying no longer seem weird.

24. The professor doesn't show up to class and you discuss the readings anyway.

25. You've ever sent a letter with footnotes to your mom.

26. You use words that only the people in your classes can understand.

27. The last time you watched TV, Brenda was still on 90210 and McGuyver was making bombs out of duct tape.

28. The last time you worked out, women were wearing little rope headbands and legwarmers.

29. You have every minute of the next four months planned out but have no idea what you are going to do for the rest of your life.

30. You have ever uttered the words, "School comes before sex."

:D

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Comp_Geek_573
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 9:41 pm

The following are true to some extent even though I'm an undergrad:

1. It takes 6-8 hours to complete a homework assignment
True for my game programming class. But I like it enough that I do it. I generally do them in two sessions.

3. You have to stay up late into the night just to get a homework assignment done and even then you might not get it completely done.
True, but only because I procrastinate.

6. Professors don't mind when you address them by their first names.
I have one who doesn't mind, because her last name is hard to pronounce.

7. You can finally afford to eat off-campus more than once a month.
I can anyway thanks to a Pell grant on top of assets.

10. Getting good grades means something to you.
I'm liking my computer science major more and more every semester. I want to graduate with honors.

AQ: 33

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 10:18 pm

31. You have ever spelled out the word "Undergrad" so that the only one in the room would not know that you're talking about him or her.

Example: "Don't look now, but a yoo en dee ee ar gee ar ay dee just posted in this thread."

;)

ooo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 May 2012, 3:12 pm

Heh.

You know you're in graduate school when you have no social life...

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2012, 8:28 pm

cathylynn wrote:
you know you're in grad school when:

you do professional level work and pay for the priviledge of doing it, or almost as bad, get paid peanuts for it.

you have "instant" friends, because everyone in your classes loves the subject and wants to be there as much as you do.

I can't WAIT for "instant" friends! Instead of idiots who don't care about college! That'll be music to my ears some interested in killers as much as me who doesn't find it disturbing to read about them and has a twinkle in there eye when hearing about them. :-)

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2012, 12:36 am

remember seeing this on tvtropes. well might not be this comic but its done dealing with grad school http://www.phdcomics.com/comics.php

seriously, hearing those stories of people who stress themselves halfway to death, I have to say 'f**k that s**t' sorry. One of my instructors told me once of how she was on the verge of burning out and took student loans as she had a job AND was doing post grad work. Sorry... -___-