media campaign attempts by autistic people always implode

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 8:00 pm

i have noticed that it is hard for autistic people to have a successful media campaigns because, naturally we are bad communicators. that's why this forum is always so heated but goes nowhere. the situation feels like it is crushing me because i really don't like the way autism is represented but there isn't anything i can do about it. those who have followed my posts in the past may have noticed that i feel this way and it influences me a lot because i feel like NTs are purposely trying to play ventriloquist with us and put words in our mouths on all the most important issues. i have seen over the past few months that our social skills doom us to not getting the representation we need. its dam hopeless. im gonna post in the haven now god dam :evil:

lotuspuppy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 8:24 pm

aspie48 wrote:
i have noticed that it is hard for autistic people to have a successful media campaigns because, naturally we are bad communicators. that's why this forum is always so heated but goes nowhere. the situation feels like it is crushing me because i really don't like the way autism is represented but there isn't anything i can do about it. those who have followed my posts in the past may have noticed that i feel this way and it influences me a lot because i feel like NTs are purposely trying to play ventriloquist with us and put words in our mouths on all the most important issues. i have seen over the past few months that our social skills doom us to not getting the representation we need. its dam hopeless. im gonna post in the haven now god dam :evil:

Do you have an example? I'm just curious to see what made you come to that conclusion.

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 8:26 pm

lotuspuppy wrote:
Do you have an example? I'm just curious to see what made you come to that conclusion.

well just looking at how asan is the biggest media campaign run by asutistics and they always get mocked and ignored.

Dhawal
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 11:12 pm

aspie48 wrote:

What makes you think that this forum is going nowhere? Do you think that the recent positive attitude towards autism came out of nowhere?

I understand that you want change Now, because that's how I used to be. I have grown patient, you should try it. Yes, we can't let the 'Autism Speaks'-like devils take over. But we can work with the ones who have a more human approach instead of an anti-autism approach. If it is taking time, there's a reason for it. Understand the reason.

NTs don't make life hell for us because they hate us. They make life hell for us because they don't know that they're doing that. If they really understood, they wouldn't do 90% of the things they're doing. Understand that they are stupid lowly beings, and explain to them like you would explain to a kid. Carefully, fully, properly and patiently. Don't be bothered if they treat you like you're a fool. You know well who the fool is. We put up with them, because they're in overwhelming majority. Like the blind people in H G Wells' 'Country of the Blind'.

We have each other, we work with each other. We learn how NTs understand things, and then we explain autism to them. Yes, it will take time and patience, but whatever little experience I have, shows that it's better than getting frustrated and giving up. Keep going and keep going and never give up. Unfortunately that's the only way it will work. As it gets better, slowly life will also get better for us. Work on issues that bother you the most personally. When it gets better for you, you'll have more hope than you have now.

Folks like you are the hope of the autistic community. If you lose hope, there's nothing left for us. Remember this when you get discouraged.
Thanks for reading through the post.

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2011, 2:59 am

^ good post.

Keep trying, aspie48, that's what I'm doing, and one day I will succeed.