Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 May 2007
Age: 50
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,748
Location: International House of Paincakes...

13 Oct 2011, 11:19 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6URPC1YPKM&feature=related[/youtube]

Biomass gasifier--Used extensively during WWII as a gas alternative for combustion engines. Was also used to make town gas for lighting in last part of 19th century.

It actually runs fairly clean (carbon-wise), and makes a great augment to solar/wind generation for getting and staying off grid!

When I'm finished with school I hope to build a cabin (perhaps cargo container) and use this power set-up.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYGKn12Weu4[/youtube]

Live simple, green, and independent! 8)


_________________
No man is free who is not master of himself.~Epictetus


ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Age: 83
Gender: Male
Posts: 31,502
Location: New Jersey

13 Oct 2011, 4:06 pm

GoonSquad wrote:

Live simple, green, and independent! 8)


It is impossible to run a heavy duty industrial society off of cow poo and mulch.

ruveyn



GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 May 2007
Age: 50
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,748
Location: International House of Paincakes...

13 Oct 2011, 6:19 pm

ruveyn wrote:
GoonSquad wrote:

Live simple, green, and independent! 8)


It is impossible to run a heavy duty industrial society off of cow poo and mulch.

ruveyn


Well then, it's a good thing the US isn't an industrial society anymore... :P

At a household/small farm scale, this is a real, viable option.


_________________
No man is free who is not master of himself.~Epictetus


richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

User avatar

Joined: 9 Jan 2007
Age: 61
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,142
Location: Lake Whoop-Dee-Doo, Pennsylvania

15 Oct 2011, 6:06 pm

For emergency use this is a viable alternative, but it is not for everyone. Your alternate energy plan must also
include solar, and wind and the machines must last long enough to pay for themselves several times over otherwise
you're simply wasting all the fossil fuels that went into manufacturing and transporting your equipment.
Here are a couple of other sources for alternative fuels:

http://gekgasifier.com/
http://www.global-greenhouse-warming.co ... rator.html
http://www.google.com/search?q=All+Powe ... en___US407


_________________
Life! Liberty!...and Perseveration!!.....
Weiner's Law of Libraries: There are no answers, only cross references.....
My Blog: http://richiesroom.wordpress.com/


ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Age: 83
Gender: Male
Posts: 31,502
Location: New Jersey

15 Oct 2011, 8:33 pm

GoonSquad wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
GoonSquad wrote:

Live simple, green, and independent! 8)


It is impossible to run a heavy duty industrial society off of cow poo and mulch.

ruveyn


Well then, it's a good thing the US isn't an industrial society anymore... :P

At a household/small farm scale, this is a real, viable option.


From wikianswers:

According to the latest United Nations Statistics data (http://unstats.un.org/unsd/snaama/dnllist.asp) the United States is the largest manufacturing nation, with an output of approximately $1.83 Trillion. This is followed by China at $1.79T, with these two nations far outstripping any other nations (Japan $1.05T, Germany $767B and Italy $381B). The rate of growth in manufacturing in China far outstrips that of the US, with its manufacturing industry growing more than an order of magnitude in the last two decades, during which the US has not even doubled its output.

China will pass the U.S. presently since its output is growing much faster than ours.

ruveyn



GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 May 2007
Age: 50
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,748
Location: International House of Paincakes...

15 Oct 2011, 9:51 pm

richie wrote:
For emergency use this is a viable alternative, but it is not for everyone. Your alternate energy plan must also
include solar, and wind and the machines must last long enough to pay for themselves several times over otherwise
you're simply wasting all the fossil fuels that went into manufacturing and transporting your equipment.
Here are a couple of other sources for alternative fuels:

http://gekgasifier.com/
http://www.global-greenhouse-warming.co ... rator.html
http://www.google.com/search?q=All+Powe ... en___US407


You're absolutely right.

I plan to live "tiny house" style in a refurbished Airstream or a converted shipping container on 2-5 rural, partially wooded acres. I hope to recycle/repurpose as much stuff as possible and grow much of my own food.

Solar/wind will be primary power source with wood gas generator backup. Power requirements should be quite low, even with an occasional splurge on air conditioning! :lol:


@ruveyn
I see a trend there. I predict the US will be the UK of the 21st century.


_________________
No man is free who is not master of himself.~Epictetus