Do you think the physically disabled have more support?

Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

The...
Physically disabled get more support 92%  92%  [ 46 ]
Mentally disabled get more support 8%  8%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 50

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2011, 4:57 pm

I think people with obvious disabilities are treated better than the ones who look normal. It's frowned upon and social taboo to make fun of someone in a wheelchair or make fun of a blind person or someone with Down's syndrome and other obvious conditions. You look really bad when you make fun of someone with it even if it's not because of their disability but because of something else. People will just assume you are making fun of them for their condition. But with invisible disabilities, people get away with it because they think you can be like them if you try hard enough and you look normal so no one is going to know they are making fun of someone with a disability.

Heck even the kids in my elementary school with obvious disabilities got help they needed and didn't get made fun of and I did because I looked like everyone else. Plus the school didn't care about my issues and continued treating me like everyone else in a bad way. My parents had to keep fighting with them every year to get them to follow my IEP. For a while I thought they didn't understand and couldn't get it and my mom said they were all stupid and lazy. Then I found my old IEP records and medical records written by them and they knew all along about my problems and they just didn't care. I felt disgusted by it. They were the ones that labeled me with all these conditions and they said I had behavior problems. Mom said I didn't but they said I did. I wonder if my mom is just being politically correct about me because she will not call it behavior problems. You know how parents view their kids different than other kids.

So kids that made fun of me in school were not shunned for it because I was seen a mean or weird or rude. But yet some of them would contradict themselves by saying I am ret*d and then call me stupid and make fun of me. So obviously they knew I was different but yet still made fun of me for it simply because I looked normal and could cover themselves with all these excuses like I am just stupid or I am just mean or weird or rude and not even say I'm ret*d. So obviously they liked making fun of people with disabilities.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

14 Oct 2011, 5:00 pm

marshall wrote:
People with physical disabilities aren't told and/or lead to beleive that their problems are all their own fault.
True.

Nier
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Oct 2011, 4:11 am

SteelMaiden wrote:
I have schizophrenia and AS. I have had a hard time getting disability allowances in some cases (especially at university) because they assume mental illness/AS is "easier" to deal with, or can be less prominent. I am really being messed about by the disability services at university. I was sectioned three times during my first year at university because the stress caused me to have three dramatic relapses. All because some people don't think mental illness is "as bad" as physical illness.

I have had people in public accuse me of stealing "some old lady's freedom pass" (I have a freedom pass which gives me free travel all over London because I am disabled as mentioned above). They say this just because I can walk fast and I am not using a walking stick, not blind etc. They assume that because I look healthy from the outside, that I am not disabled.

Sorry to hear that, those people are ignorants in search of someone to hate by the sounds of it.

Unfortunately, people with physical disabilities aren't always immune from verbal or physical targetting either. It has been disturbing to read newspaper comment boards describing some experiences of people in the UK in the wake of the government drive to save money by cutting disability benefits to 'scroungers and undeserving'.

If people using crutches or wheelchairs are describing occasions of being verbally harassed, then it's a double-edged sword for those without visible evidence of difference - on the one hand, you won't attract casual abuse for looking different, but on the other hand if you try to gain or use the support required (such as the travel pass example) then your invisibility becomes proof of deceit to a bunch of random strangers who frankly should butt out and mind their own business or just do their job and help.