How much do you pay for your gym membership?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2011, 7:45 pm

Where you are at that is?

How often do you use it?

What time of day do you normally go?

What type of exercise do you normally do?

Do you do any of the offered classes?

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2011, 8:46 pm

it's a free benefit of my health insurance. before that i got a free membership for volunteering to help teach swimming.

i use the weight machines twice a week. they have treadmills and ellipticals, but i'd rather get somewhere when i walk, so i do that outside or in the mall.

MountainLaurel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2011, 8:47 pm

The Wellness Center at the Recreation Center here is relatively new and besides the excercise equiptment it includes steam room, sauna and whirl pool. It's:
-$485 per year or a monthly payment of $45.50 (but monthly is on a 1 yr contract - auto-debited)

I belong to the lap swimming pool at the same facility. It's $355 per year or $34.50 monthly payments. (The Lap membership does not include the steam, sauna or whirlpool.)

I swim anywhere from 1 to 5 days per week depending on my level of discipline. (When I swim it's for 30 to 50 minutes and I swim anywhere from 1/2 to over 1 mile.)

I've belonged there for 7 years and have tried the classes and liked them but at $355 per year I don't want to spend more money and have less time to use what I've already paid for. I would be lost without the pool because knee joint issues preclude most other aerobic excercise.

Rocky
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2011, 4:22 am

I always figured that most of the people who pay for a gym membership did so for social reasons. They want to meet someone to date, or their friends belong to one, and they want to exercise together. Otherwise, it seems like a lot to pay in the long run, since you could buy the equipment and use it at home. I think you can buy the equipment second hand for a good price, since a lot of people intend to use it, but don't, and end up selling it instead. Weights are cheap, and running outside is free. So is walking in the mall.

Dingo7
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Oct 2011, 5:57 am

Where you are at that is? Local Surf life saving club

How often do you use it? Never... at least not the gym anyway

What time of day do you normally go? ill go for patrol or training but not the gym

What type of exercise do you normally do? Swimming, rescue drills

Do you do any of the offered classes? Training i spose

Price: freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Oct 2011, 11:03 am

I built my own gym at our ranch. I figured that with many of them going out of business, all that true professional gym equipment flooding Craigslist and eBay, was a great opportunity. I have everything that Gold's has, and it's all mine, and I can use it when I please, and no other guy's sweat on it. No midnight TV workout machines; I mean real gym machines and Ivanko weights, hex dumbells from 10-120 lbs, etc. And I paid less for all of it than it would have cost to join a gym in the city, and drive there every other day. Most big national chain Gyms (Gold's, Powerhouse, etc) in my area usually charge $250/year basic membership for weight room, locker use, etc., plus added fees if you want a real trainer.

Charles

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2011, 1:30 pm

New England Athletic Club in Cromwell, CT

$27 a month cash no contract, including free public ice skating time, pool, free weights, cardio machines, weight machines, basketball court, aerobic studio.

I got into it for ice skating, I was paying $5 a session for public ice time, and if you joined the gym, you get public ice for free with your membership.

I ice skate 5 times a week, used to ice skate 6-7 times a week, but the weekend and Friday night sessions were all filled by hockey games. For the gym itself, I go like 4-5 times a week, usually after ice skating, but sometimes I'll just get bored and drive there seperately.

Exercise, I generally do only skating specific exercises. I do the slideboard to practice stroking, leg presses and squats to build power. I also like hitting the punching stand and practicing martial arts type stuff with that in the aerobic studio. For my arms, oddly, one of the best "bulking" exercises that won't increase strength terribly but will tone and add muscle to your arms, I found to be the arm crank machine (arm bike) set to max resistance. Oh, bench jumping, too, I'll jump over back and forth over weight benches to build more leg power, do it for a couple minutes at a time. Oh, the obliques machine occasionally if I'm bored, too, but the machine is too weak, along with the calf press machine. Swimming, I swim occasionally, too, but swimming is probably 1-2x a month, laps.

I usually research what I want to do, and sort of just treat the gym as a place to play around and test how strong I am. I'll ask people for advice, but I won't "follow" people usually, I tend to tailor things to what I want. My gym has free classes, I've not taken any, I tried a personal trainer for like 5 minutes (just asking for advice) and didn't like it. I didn't feel what he was doing would make me strong enough very fast.

I generally go after public ice session, so 1:30-3 or 2:30 or so. Sometimes I'll show up in the afternoon or night. I think afternoon is when most people go, but the exercise stuff I wanna do is never very crowded or anything. If I'm in the aerobic studio, I'm in it alone 99% of the time anyway.

I hope that answered some questions. My situation is sort of exceptional, though, I'm blessed with the cheapest most awesome gym and ice skating rink 2 miles from my house for a price that to me seems like they're almost giving it away. That, and I found a physical activity that motivates me. So yeah...

But for me, ice skating and the associated training became one of my "obsessions" so it's a bit different.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2011, 4:42 am

sluice wrote:
Where you are at that is?

i used to go to the tacoma washington YMCA, in the evenings after work. by then the swimming pool lanes were mostly emptied out, most of the time, an hour before closing. that way i could swim unmolested by other swimmings making me gulp water. this was back a few years when i was still employed at a middle class job and could afford the $50 monthly fee.
sluice wrote:
How often do you use it?

about 4 times a week, usually after the 2nd and last 12-hour shift of a 2-day work stretch, when i didn't have to work the next day.
sluice wrote:
What time of day do you normally go?

see above.
sluice wrote:
What type of exercise do you normally do?

only swimming. my routine was to swim crawl stroke going forward, then backstroke going back to the beginning of the lane, over and over 33 times to complete a mile's worth of swimming.
sluice wrote:
Do you do any of the offered classes?

only the one for swimming, back when i was a back patient at a physical therapist's office, swimming was prescribed to strengthen my back and spine. i miss the pool.