Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

layla87
Toucan
Toucan

14 Oct 2011, 10:33 pm

Dark_Lord_2008 wrote:
Aspergers have limited awareness of things around them and they are usually have tunnelled vision. Driving requires: being aware of things on the road, anticipating what is going to happen next along with driving the vehicle.

It usually takes a person with Aspergers more time and more tests to pass their drivers license than an NT. I can not drive and failed the driving test a few times due to my Aspergers and consequently gave up. Driving a car is a lot more challenging than riding a bicycle or motor bike.

There is not that much different between a Manual an Automatic car: you have to be in control of the car and aware of things around you at all times. Not having a car license may adversely impact a person's employment prospects.

So would a motorcycle or smaller motorized bike be better to learn? I can ride a bike no problem but still never learned to drive

Aaod
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Oct 2011, 11:04 pm

I can't afford to drive but even if I could I do not think I could handle it. Far to much stimulus to take in at one time especially at higher speeds. Strangely I am a good map reader and my sense of direction is good so I am a good passenger.
Edit: My coordination is pretty bad, I never learned to tie my shoes or ride a bike either.

bergie
Toucan
Toucan

14 Oct 2011, 11:25 pm

I am a super-safe driver. I rarely speed and try to stay alert. I sometimes get distracted though. I was in 4 accidents before the age of 20 (2 my fault, 2 their fault) but haven't been in one in over 10 years now.

Frakkin
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Oct 2011, 11:31 pm

I'm pretty good at driving. I passed the driving test on my first try. But it may have had something to do with me putting of the driving test numerous times because of how nervous I was and how afraid I was of failing it. Not to mention I live in a town of a thousand people so the roads are simple, no traffic lights, few cars around, etc. I still feel really overwhelmed when I drive because of all the things I have to pay attention to, but practising helped make it easier. Plus I just like driving. I like how it feels.

ictus75
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Oct 2011, 11:48 pm

I actually like driving, but prefer to drive alone, as I find other people too distracting (they want to talk to me, they make noise, talk on their phones, etc.).