Feminism/ Sexual harassment accusations are out of control

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ZX_SpectrumDisorder
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2012, 5:15 pm

I helped a Chinese woman get a watermelon from a shelf in Sainsbury's today.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2012, 5:36 pm

jojobean wrote:
Now one time, I was told by another co-worker that I was psycho crazy and he would not trust me past his d*ck. THAT is sexual harrasment.

I don't get the definition of sexual harrassment in the first place. I don't see how the above is classed as that. I assume it's when you're touched in the wrong place that would be classed as that. Otherwise I would just see that guy as an a***hole and a bully.

Whatamess, as soon as that guy would've started following me, I would have been straight out of there. People like him are dangerous. Especially following you to a car park - he could have dragged you into a car and drove off.

I like it when men hold the door for me or offer to carry things or give me a seat. I see it as politeness, which I think is severely lacking these days. :(

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2012, 5:42 pm

smudge wrote:
jojobean wrote:
Now one time, I was told by another co-worker that I was psycho crazy and he would not trust me past his d*ck. THAT is sexual harrasment.

I don't get the definition of sexual harrassment in the first place.

The definition of sexual harassment can include a situation where someone can overhear and become offended on someone else's behalf at a comment that wasn't directed at them, even if the receiver of the comment was not offended in the slightest.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2012, 5:58 pm

unfortunately you can get a woman fired by offering to help because it makes it look like she can't handle the job.

Adam82
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2012, 6:34 pm

smudge wrote:

I like it when men hold the door for me or offer to carry things or give me a seat. I see it as politeness, which I think is severely lacking these days. :(

Yeah. Indeed. Chivalry is mostly dead. Because some women don't like guys opening doors for them or pulling out chairs for them. Feminism, don't get me wrong, started with good intentions, but as with most movements, a minority of extremist idiots came along and ruined it for everyone.

book_noodles
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2012, 10:40 pm

ZX_SpectrumDisorder wrote:
I helped a Chinese woman get a watermelon from a shelf in Sainsbury's today.

I'm reporting you for that. :wink:

Kidding aside, a significant portion of my job requires heavy lifting (I do A/V stuff for my uni) and it's difficult and painful but it feels so good to be helpful in such a visceral way. I guess that's a strange way of phrasing it. In any case, it's seems very condescending when anyone tries to take my A/V cart and push it for me, even though I'm being careful and competent. Whenever this happens I explain that I am not having difficulty. Sometimes they listen, sometimes they don't, and I silently seethe throughout the entire job because once again I have been unfairly deemed incapable of a simple task.

Let me ask for help. I won't speak for roughly 50% of the population (women), because that is incredibly presumptuous, but just let me ask first. Don't ask me.
I disagree with most of the sentiments about feminism in this thread. Feminism is a very diverse ideology, which isn't that unusual! It is rare that such a large group can agree on something so complicated. All it means is that I want men and women to be treated equally and justly, and I don't feel equal if a man is dancing around me in some weird maneuver to open the door before I can, or refusing to walk through before me even following a polite "After you! :)".
It's not just that it signifies the helplessness of women, but it says something about the place of men that I don't agree with.
It's not the act, it's the meaning behind it.
I don't want to be put ahead in priority before a man. Men are not dispensable. I love my partner, and I don't want him to ever feel like my needs come first just because I'm a woman.