Page 3 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2011, 12:39 pm

Nope. Computer use doesn't cause Autism. If anything Autism probably causes one to be prone to prefer computers to human interaction. I'm sure too much of it doesn't help a child grow out of lack of desire to interact with others, and most likely impedes it.

I think there's a lot of "Chicken vs. Egg" syndrome when it comes to how much of which can affect the other, but no, computer use does not cause Autism.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

15 Oct 2011, 2:24 pm

I started sneaking onto my dad's computer when I was 7. My dad slept most of the time, and other times he would just be gambling online. So about 8 years. (which is the majority of my life)

guywithAS
Toucan
Toucan

18 Oct 2011, 7:42 pm

readers of this thread may find this article from today's nytimes interesting:

No TV for Children Under 2, Doctors’ Group Urges

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/19/healt ... es.html?hp

loobylou2011
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Oct 2011, 3:43 pm

I first started using computers when I was 13 years old and have been addicted to them ever since and it is the same with Harry Potter for me. I don't think it caused my AS because I have always struggled since I was about 3 to get on with people or make friends.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2011, 5:26 pm

guywithAS wrote:
Burzum wrote:
Ichinin wrote:
This thread deals with social isolation from spending too much time behind the keyboard

Yes, as a possible cause of autism. Which is a thousand times more farfetched than the claim that autism is purely genetic.

i see genetic as a contributing factor.

here's how i see the cause of autism:

1. difficulty activating a specific group of mirror neurons are genetically passed down, particularly if both parents have aspie qualities. some people are more prone to this than others

2. if more prone, and combined with social isolation due to internet, special interest, etc, means emotional development may freeze at a certain age, causing autism. this age/emotional development can depend on the sensitivity of the mirror neurons. in severe cases the person is non verbal. in less severe cases the person is very functional but still has emotional problems.

3. alternatively, if the person has major sensory issues, or GFCF allergy, etc, this can also pause the activation of the mirror neurons since hebbian learning won't take place. if you can barely go outside because its so bright for your eyes, its pretty hard to follow what is happening in the world.

men are more likely than women to be on the spectrum because we are less motivated to activate these mirror neurons. the mirror neurons are activated via hebbian learning and require ACTIVE MOTIVATION to turn them on. in fact, what we have is actually somewhat similar to psychopaths and sociopaths, i suspect its just a different group of mirror neurons that are the cause. and i'm speculating that if we are able to solve for autism, we can solve for those guys too.

i've done a whole interview series with world experts on this topic, it will all be published fairly soon on wrong planet.

I am going to guess you don't spend large amounts of time around a diversity of toddlers and preschoolers. This is the sort of theory that is most likely to arise when all your data comes from asking adults about their childhood memories. But if you spend a lot of time around diverse toddlers and preschoolers, you see differences that are innate. This isn't the chicken-and-egg conundrum that you are making it out to be. You can't create an autistic child out of an NT one by giving him access to a computer. NT little kids like computers and technology too. But they use them in a very social way, passing the consoles back and forth between each other. These differences become apparent when you spend a lot of time around a diversity of kids.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

23 Oct 2011, 7:33 pm

MrXxx wrote:
I think there's a lot of "Chicken vs. Egg" syndrome when it comes to how much of which can affect the other, but no, computer use does not cause Autism.

Computer use can, however, cause atrophying of social skills to autistic like levels. Unlike those with autism, though, they can be developed back to neurotypical like levels.

invisiblespectrum
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Oct 2011, 11:25 pm

I guess I must have been around 2 when I started playing around with my dad's work computer. Used to make ASCII art and print it on the dot-matrix printer.

First home computer was at age 4 or so.

First computer of my own... Not sure, around age 10-12 maybe? I have lived in a multi-computer household for most of my life.

I have loved computers for as long as I can remember.

I don't think they made me more asocial at all. In fact being able to interact socially on the Internet made me much more social, including, eventually (I believe) IRL. My ability to socialize on the Internet made me more confident about trying it in person.