Lady-ivy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jan 2012, 3:20 am

Dhawal wrote:
Lady-ivy wrote:
Am about 35% east indian, 50% black, 15 % white . So i am a mutt :lol:

Nope, you're a beautiful mutt. :)

Thanks. :) ever heard of a country called guyana. My dad is half indian by the way and he is from guyana

Dhawal
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 7:52 am

Lady-ivy wrote:
Thanks. :) ever heard of a country called guyana. My dad is half indian by the way and he is from guyana

I've heard of Trinidad Indians and their Bhojpuri Chutney music, but I never knew that 43.5% of Guyanese population was Indian! (wikipedia)

I'm really into geography and historic migrations. Thanks for adding to my knowledge, and also thanks for voting :).

How do NTs do that?

Lady-ivy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jan 2012, 3:37 pm

Dhawal wrote:
Lady-ivy wrote:

I've heard of Trinidad Indians and their Bhojpuri Chutney music, but I never knew that 43.5% of Guyanese population was Indian! (wikipedia)

I'm really into geography and historic migrations. Thanks for adding to my knowledge, and also thanks for voting :).

Am into different cultures and there histories, and costoms but am most interested in the different wildlife and botany around the world.

You sound like your interested in geography and historic migrations have you thought of traveling. Alot of my guyanness relatives are of Indian heritage. And I am interested in learning more about all my heritages from the west Indiaes It nice to meet to meet someone else on here who has Indian heritage :)

Dhawal
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 4:22 am

Lady-ivy wrote:
Am into different cultures and there histories, and costoms but am most interested in the different wildlife and botany around the world.

You sound like your interested in geography and historic migrations have you thought of traveling. Alot of my guyanness relatives are of Indian heritage. And I am interested in learning more about all my heritages from the west Indiaes It nice to meet to meet someone else on here who has Indian heritage :)

Travelling is just terrible experience for me. Sends me into extreme aspie mode. Really difficult to adjust with new places, sounds, sights, textures, being among people who understand nothing about autism, really terrible. Internet is really a very safe place to learn things ;).

As far as Indian heritage is concerned, there's a whole thread about Indian aspies on wrongplanet - http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt107533.html. Just ignore the first few pages, there's useless flaming there. See from page 3 or 4.

How do NTs do that?

Lady-ivy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jan 2012, 6:39 pm

Dhawal wrote:
Lady-ivy wrote:

Travelling is just terrible experience for me. Sends me into extreme aspie mode. Really difficult to adjust with new places, sounds, sights, textures, being among people who understand nothing about autism, really terrible. Internet is really a very safe place to learn things ;).

As far as Indian heritage is concerned, there's a whole thread about Indian aspies on wrongplanet - http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt107533.html. Just ignore the first few pages, there's useless flaming there. See from page 3 or 4.

Traveling can be hard be for some on the spectrum. For me it's the opposite. I grow up traveling alot as child since my dad was in military. So to me moving is something just normal and it excites my autism senses in a good way. I notice the different sounds of what's around. The new smells. How differently people are. The only place I can't handle is the beach and places with sand, It feels strenge on my feet.
How are things for others on the spectrum there in India? I am a autism advocate who sometimes goes to different colleges to speck about growing up with autism. Am most interested in how other people on the spectrum live in their country too. As I want to expand one day help with advocateing for those in different countries.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 7:12 pm

It does seem that "race" and gender do matter in some medical examples. Certain bone weakness medications are counterproductive in Asian women, and certain blood thinning and cholesterol drugs are less than helpful for Black men.

I'd want people to know these things.

Dhawal
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2012, 4:57 am

shrox wrote:
It does seem that "race" and gender do matter in some medical examples. Certain bone weakness medications are counterproductive in Asian women, and certain blood thinning and cholesterol drugs are less than helpful for Black men.

I'd want people to know these things.

Thanks shrox, interesting observations!
At the same time I hope no one misunderstands this as racism. I'm sure it's like one of those things - people from a certain geographical region having similarities, and other things like that.

How do NTs do that?

Dhawal
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2012, 5:19 am

Lady-ivy wrote:
Traveling can be hard be for some on the spectrum. For me it's the opposite. I grow up traveling alot as child since my dad was in military. So to me moving is something just normal and it excites my autism senses in a good way. I notice the different sounds of what's around. The new smells. How differently people are. The only place I can't handle is the beach and places with sand, It feels strenge on my feet.
How are things for others on the spectrum there in India? I am a autism advocate who sometimes goes to different colleges to speck about growing up with autism. Am most interested in how other people on the spectrum live in their country too. As I want to expand one day help with advocateing for those in different countries.

I was actually wondering some time back, whether there are aspies whose autistic obsessions include travelling. It seemed unlikely but not impossible. I understand that travelling is not your *obsession*, I only mentioned this thing that occurred to me. It is nice that you like travelling, but it's a pity that you don't like sand. After all, you live in California !

India has near zero autism awareness. Of late there a some signs of awareness spreading. In terms of living in India or within the Indian culture, there are multiple issues. I don't know many Indian aspies, I haven't met anyone personally (atleast not anyone who knows about it). I can only speak of my own experience.
India is a very noisy country, so sensory overload is a major problem. Indian culture is not very accommodative of differences or individualism. So people (even well-meaning ones) force you to behave in a certain way, not because there's any benefit, just because everyone else does.
The bright side is that Indians are very warm and (I don't know what word to use) 'inclusive' people. They'll ask you to join them in their celebrations or social gatherings, and even if you refuse coldly, they keep insisting. It is very touching. Secondly, India does not have the bullying issue so much. There are instances, but compared to the west, people will usually not be cold and indifferent to those who are different.
It is strange, but they'll not let you be different, and at the same time they'll include you and force you to fit in, but nicely and with warmth. Hmmm ... I guess Indian culture is bit strange :).
These are the major aspects in a nutshell, of course there's much more to it than what I've written.

How do NTs do that?

Lady-ivy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jan 2012, 7:57 pm

Dhawal wrote:
[quote="Lad !

India has near zero autism awareness. Of late there a some signs of awareness spreading. In terms of living in India or within the Indian culture, there are multiple issues. I don't know many Indian aspies, I haven't met anyone personally (atleast not anyone who knows about it). I can only speak of my own experience.
India is a very noisy country, so sensory overload is a major problem. Indian culture is not very accommodative of differences or individualism. So people (even well-meaning ones) force you to behave in a certain way, not because there's any benefit, just because everyone else does.
The bright side is that Indians are very warm and (I don't know what word to use) 'inclusive' people. They'll ask you to join them in their celebrations or social gatherings, and even if you refuse coldly, they keep insisting. It is very touching. Secondly, India does not have the bullying issue so much. There are instances, but compared to the west, people will usually not be cold and indifferent to those who are different
It is strange, but they'll not let you be different, and at the same time they'll include you and force you to fit in, but nicely and with warmth. Hmmm ... I guess Indian culture is bit strange :).
These are the major aspects in a nutshell, of course there's much more to it than what I've written.

:lol: Cailforina has only sand at beaches. Thank goodness I don't live near a beach. Cailforina is ok I whould prefer to live in new York were most of west Indian guyananess are.

That a good sign some awareness is spreading even in Guyana from what grandma says Guyana still has no awareness. You chould help with the awareness in India. It won't be
easy. But trying small thing like wearing a autism awareness pin or something like finding an organizing, an expert in the autism field or making a website or blog about living with autism
in india, it might gain following from other families with someone who might have autism
looking for answers or bring those awesome people on the spectrum too who are wanting
to know if there are others like them.

For the sensory overload do you have do have to work round life in order to function with the different noise levels in different parts of the day.? Hmm that's interesting almost sounds like the military were you have to show no individualism. I know what you mean about being very warm even people who are part of my uncles family who never met me were really nice to me and if was in shop owned by Indians they whould be really helpful to me or. If eat Indian food out somewhere I always seem get. More food. Then my friends ,
I don't if It was becouse I look Indian. Even though am mix and more black but people tend to say I look more Indian. so they pretty much helping someone who might share their own culture but I say they are pretty nice but they seem a little quiet to non Indians in the west so maybe Indians living in the west act little different then those living in south Asia as most people try to act the same there or like you like you said the non liking of individualism as
west tends to be loving individualism. You are right about western cultures being almost
Being indifferent to those different. But at same time west celebrate patriotism and america has its melting pot. but let's people in same culture bully those who are different. Every ones culture has a bad and good . :D I almost want to return to my
dad culture which is muti cultural too like Americans but less indifferent too but however i yarn to not to have too much individualism as I get. In US culture which I got that all my life becouse America seem to like the idea of individualism it get tiring after while. I almost want share the same aspects with like people from my own west Indin guyanese culture maybe part be of it and marry someone from the same culture I tend to like west indian guys with a east Indian
Heritage. It must be from having family members who have this heritage line.
These same ideas of similar is the same thing being on the spectrum something we all have in common as it makes us part of the autism community

Einfari
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2012, 12:41 am

I'm a partially albino half ginger, AKA a pale-skinned strawberry blonde of mostly German and Irish heritage.

Dhawal
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2012, 1:54 am

Einfari wrote:
I'm a partially albino half ginger, AKA a pale-skinned strawberry blonde of mostly German and Irish heritage.

Thanks for voting :)

How do NTs do that?

Dhawal
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2012, 2:32 am

Lady-ivy wrote:
:lol: Cailforina has only sand at beaches. Thank goodness I don't live near a beach. Cailforina is ok I whould prefer to live in new York were most of west Indian guyananess are.

That a good sign some awareness is spreading even in Guyana from what grandma says Guyana still has no awareness. You chould help with the awareness in India. It won't be
easy. But trying small thing like wearing a autism awareness pin or something like finding an organizing, an expert in the autism field or making a website or blog about living with autism
in india, it might gain following from other families with someone who might have autism
looking for answers or bring those awesome people on the spectrum too who are wanting
to know if there are others like them.

For the sensory overload do you have do have to work round life in order to function with the different noise levels in different parts of the day.? Hmm that's interesting almost sounds like the military were you have to show no individualism. I know what you mean about being very warm even people who are part of my uncles family who never met me were really nice to me and if was in shop owned by Indians they whould be really helpful to me or. If eat Indian food out somewhere I always seem get. More food. Then my friends ,
I don't if It was becouse I look Indian. Even though am mix and more black but people tend to say I look more Indian. so they pretty much helping someone who might share their own culture but I say they are pretty nice but they seem a little quiet to non Indians in the west so maybe Indians living in the west act little different then those living in south Asia as most people try to act the same there or like you like you said the non liking of individualism as
west tends to be loving individualism. You are right about western cultures being almost
Being indifferent to those different. But at same time west celebrate patriotism and america has its melting pot. but let's people in same culture bully those who are different. Every ones culture has a bad and good . :D I almost want to return to my
dad culture which is muti cultural too like Americans but less indifferent too but however i yarn to not to have too much individualism as I get. In US culture which I got that all my life becouse America seem to like the idea of individualism it get tiring after while. I almost want share the same aspects with like people from my own west Indin guyanese culture maybe part be of it and marry someone from the same culture I tend to like west indian guys with a east Indian
Heritage. It must be from having family members who have this heritage line.
These same ideas of similar is the same thing being on the spectrum something we all have in common as it makes us part of the autism community

I have moved the conversation to the India thread. People there might find it useful.

How do NTs do that?

theaspiemusician
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jan 2012, 7:46 pm

Technically according to this I'm brown (Indian and Iranian) and also multiracial (also black and white)

"One pill makes you larger and one pill makes you small but the pills that mother gives you don't do anything at all"

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2012, 7:48 pm

Born in Israel (thus middle-eatern), descended from Morrocan/Romanian origins.