Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

kc0eks
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Sep 2006, 10:41 am

Hey all,
After having many problems with my store bought router, I would like to make my own from a spare PC. I would like something that has detailed help and instructions, and be based on linux. As I do not know linux well, the instructions must be good :)
I would like something that isnt terribly hard to get going, but something that also has tons of features that I can play with.

I have searched around a bit, and come up with a few solutions, but I have no idea which to go with, so thats why I am asking all of you :)

I am eager to learn something new, and figure this is something I need, and something I will enjoy learning.

Thanks for your input all!
Justin

V111
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Sep 2006, 12:41 pm

A router or a firewall is a packet sorter. You limit the number of ports so someone trying to get in has few ways in. This can be done in hardware and software. My view if you can not get a hardware router/firewall working right, making one will very annoying for you. You need 2 network cards and a computer and the proper software. There a some very good software firewalls that cost about 100 usd that need only 1 network card and the software running that have many levels of control. You can limit a program to network access at only 1 ip address or a range, the ports allowed, the time of day, only this one time. And fixed hardware firewall blocks incoming well right out of the box, not so good on out going that could be were you have problems.

kc0eks
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Sep 2006, 3:04 pm

Well I went with smoothwall express...was fairly easy to install and seems to work well so far. Usually when I download all night I have to reset my bought router or nothing works. This pc based router handled it fine...

May try clarkconnect also..

atxa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Sep 2006, 10:11 pm

Hello,

You may try PFSense, Free BSD based router, you can installed it on your HD or use it with the live CD, he have a lots of features. At my job we use it on a live cd for 3 separate networks and he do a very good job.

He is very easy to understand and configure.

If you really want linux based, you can try IPCop, but PFsense is professional, I know enterprise and hospital who use it.