What 3 objects or things do you love most and why?

Page 3 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Oct 2011, 6:32 am

Dingo7 wrote:
glider18 wrote:
Original set of blueprints for a roller coaster that was never built. It was to be built in 1928, but the plans for the park's expansion failed. The roller coaster was to be one of the most thrilling ever built. And I have the only blueprint of it in existence. It was designed by the legendary Harry Baker who built the Coney Island Cyclone.

Wow how did you manage to get that?

I purchased them from a collector on Ebay who was unaware of what they were (about 12 years ago). The Ebay picture of them was blurry and made it hard to tell anything about them. I got them for about 50 dollars and was surprised to discover the severity of the design. This is the original linen cloth drawing that Baker drew in his own pen. You can even see the indentions in the paper from the compass he used and the faint pencil lines used before drawing the lines in ink. I then began researching through historical societies and other roller coaster experts to learn about this proposed roller coaster that was never built. And that's when I discovered I had the only plan of it because it never made it to the blue paper blueprint copies that the contractors use. It was therefore a lost design---except for my original draft of it. Thank you for asking about them, I appreciate that.

Dingo7
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Oct 2011, 6:57 am

glider18 wrote:
Dingo7 wrote:
glider18 wrote:
Original set of blueprints for a roller coaster that was never built. It was to be built in 1928, but the plans for the park's expansion failed. The roller coaster was to be one of the most thrilling ever built. And I have the only blueprint of it in existence. It was designed by the legendary Harry Baker who built the Coney Island Cyclone.

I purchased them from a collector on Ebay who was unaware of what they were (about 12 years ago). The Ebay picture of them was blurry and made it hard to tell anything about them. I got them for about 50 dollars and was surprised to discover the severity of the design. This is the original linen cloth drawing that Baker drew in his own pen. You can even see the indentions in the paper from the compass he used and the faint pencil lines used before drawing the lines in ink. I then began researching through historical societies and other roller coaster experts to learn about this proposed roller coaster that was never built. And that's when I discovered I had the only plan of it because it never made it to the blue paper blueprint copies that the contractors use. It was therefore a lost design---except for my original draft of it. Thank you for asking about them, I appreciate that.

Thats so interesting... do you know what it would be worth? if its of significant value would you eventually sell it as a collecters item or hold onto it? It would be cool to own a rare little peice of history like that :)

GreySun369
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2011, 12:57 pm

My Nintendo GameCube: This is very special to me because my best friend gave it to me years ago as a present. I don't really play it much anymore but I still have it in my bedroom, the two games I have for it are The Legend of Zelda Collector's Edition and Resident Evil which are some of my all-time favorite games.

My "Box of Memories": This is a little box my Mom had given me with a picture of a panda and some bamboo on the front. I keep various little things in this box that hold memories such as my favorite necklace I purchased at Wild Adventures, my class ring, my Pensacola keychain I bought when I was a little kid, my last arcade coin from my school's field trip to the Fun Station in Tallahassee, and other neat stuff.

My Two Stuffed Prizes: These are technically two items, but I like to lump them together as one because I got them both the same way. On my shelf I have a stuffed coral snake and a stuffed coca cola fox. The snake I won while playing wack-a-mole at Wild Adventures and the fox I won from a grab machine in a restaurant, both of these were the first prizes I had ever won which is why they are special to me. I even still have the tags that came with these prizes in my box of memories.

gadge
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2011, 1:27 pm

1. my cats (Tone-E and Luna, had both since kittens)
2. my toys (drum set and RC cars, trucks, boats, heli)
3. my tools (over 1500lbs of hand tools (ie ratchets and wrenchs) woodworking, metalworking, welding & power tools)

My two cats are all I'm going into a burning house for though.

Sowlowsolo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Oct 2011, 3:20 pm

Ichinin wrote:
Sowlowsolo wrote:
Errr - that was me who asked about 3 fav things (sowlowsolo)
I'm not responsible for the money comment though.

<Insert "DO'H" here>

:)

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

22 Oct 2011, 9:21 pm

Dingo7 wrote:
glider18 wrote:
Dingo7 wrote:
glider18 wrote:

Thats so interesting... do you know what it would be worth? if its of significant value would you eventually sell it as a collecters item or hold onto it? It would be cool to own a rare little peice of history like that :)

I thought about this about a year ago. I wondered what would happen if say an amusement park were to offer me $10,000 dollars for them. Would I sell? I thought with that money I could pay a bill off. But I would no longer have the plans for the roller coaster. Then I though for a $100,000 would I sell (that would be quite a price). Ok, so I get a $100,000 dollars---would I later think about those plans? Yes. Would I miss them? Yes. As it is, I own a roller coaster plan from the golden age of roller coasters that was never built. It's like I own a golden age roller coaster. Roller coasters of the golden age (1920s) are a special intense interest of mine. To have a blueprint of a golden age roller coaster that was severe in design was always a dream of mine. And the dream came true. Could I part with the plan for money? Probably not. This plan has become a part of me just like my tattoos---if that makes any sense.

Thank you again for your interest in this. I appreciate it. And I actually do not know how much they are worth---I wish I did.

Vale
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Oct 2011, 1:51 am

I would say

1 Biker Jacket and a gold/bronze silk scarf i had since i was a child. I'm moving about a lot at the moment so protection against the elements is comforting and also fashionable :)

2 Journal, i have a lot of random thoughts, poems and information written down there. Ipods there too, i have thousands of songs and books on it but im reticent to put ipod down.

3 Jewellery, rings, pendants and bracelets i wear.

I sort of cheated sorry.

curlyfry
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2011, 9:47 am

Computer (for my torrents, research, webpages, music, art, movies)
Car (transportation, road trips)
Tools (Small collection and I hope to get more)

Sowlowsolo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Oct 2011, 12:05 pm

glider18 wrote:
This is incredibly difficult for me because there are so many things I have that mean a lot to me---not only things pertaining to special intense interests, but also things that family has given to me. But...let me name three things off the top of my head.

1. Original set of blueprints for a roller coaster that was never built. It was to be built in 1928, but the plans for the park's expansion failed. The roller coaster was to be one of the most thrilling ever built. And I have the only blueprint of it in existence. It was designed by the legendary Harry Baker who built the Coney Island Cyclone.

2. My hammered dulcimer built by Folkcraft. They no longer make this large hammered dulcimer, and not to many were made to begin with of the model I have. I use it a lot in my dulcimer ministry.

3. My vintage Hammond A-102 organ with vintage Leslie speaker. I play this often, and it brings me much joy.

I had to look up what a hammered dulcimer was :oops: It's a beautiful sound - can you play it?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxjpYHhfRyI[/youtube]

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2011, 12:21 pm

1) My first, knackered teddybear.

2) My HP laptop. It's reliable.

3) My phone.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Oct 2011, 11:00 pm

Hi Sowlowsolo. Yes I play hammered dulcimer along with mountain dulcimers. I play them as part of my dulcimer ministry in churches around the area where I live. I have also played them in folk festivals and schools in the area.

Sowlowsolo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Oct 2011, 4:12 pm

Beckula1980 wrote:
3. My Netflix (does that count?)

I have no idea - What is it?