Is there a NT that keeps pointing out how different you are?

Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 1:56 am

Quote:
Maybe you don't have the kind of deep sense of 'your soul' or your 'true self' that some of us do and therefore wouldn't feel the kind of pain that we do when we suppress ourselves. I don't know. Your way of thinking and experiencing is so alien to me.

Well, this is "empathy" at work, even so if unbalanced/or warped. It's truly experiencing another as oneself and yielding by curbing your-self to please the 'other.' It's admirable in the right context. Education would be a central mitigating factor to balance this.

I knew of this ( empathy) even at a very young age by watching schoolmates bond. There was a bonding there that I could never experience on a general level. I suppose the adage about' birds & feathers' is true. I did "bond" though, with the "Gifted."

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 3:44 am

Just husband. He says I am not normal and then he says I am. Of course I know what he means by when he says I am not normal. He will also tell me "Don't say that" or "don't tell them that" because I tend to be too honest. He also tells me I have strange thoughts and points out how I think and he laughs about it.

With others not so much anymore. However my boss tells me I do such a good job and the fiber cloth says it all because it's the dirtiest and I work fast and other workers work slower than I do. Honestly, I have no idea what I do different but I have discovered not everyone gets all places they are supposed to dust. I have been given other floors to do to fill in for someone and I see dust on top of something that hadn't been dusted in weeks and when my floor got changed permanently, I saw dust piled on top of the restroom stalls and toilet seat covers holder. I could tell someone hadn't been dusting there like they were supposed to.

Sometimes people remind you how different you are in a good way.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 7:20 am

These days, no, nobody says anything to me about being different. They might think it, but they don't say it to my face. But, when I was younger, yes, a lot. My friend would say things like, 'Only you would think of something as strange as that'. I was bemused as I didn't think I had strange thoughts, but she wasn't being nasty, she found me amusing. And when I was at work, my boss would make remarks that I found offensive. But, these days, I'm a full-time mum. I only need to speak with those I want to, most days, and those I choose to be around are pretty polite. Like some others, I don't have much of a sense of self. I don't really know the real me at all. I'm not even sure if I'm an introvert or an extrovert.

NZaspiegirl016
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Oct 2011, 6:31 pm

No, not to my face at least. However, one girl always talks about me to others "behind my back" when I'm right there and can hear every word of what she says. Then when I say something back about what she's said, she says, "I wasn't talking to you! Stop eavesdropping!" So I've learnt to just ignore her and not say anything.

Genesis
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Oct 2011, 6:57 pm

Everyone seemed to notice with me that I was a bit... whats the word.... odd? then I realize.... everyone has their differences.
Even if they won't admit it.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 7:01 pm

I've noticed that sometimes people like to proclaim that they are normal and other times the same people like to proclaim that they are weird. They themselves, I mean.

Ellytoad
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Oct 2011, 7:28 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Nobody points out my differences, but they do point out my quirks.

Apparently I ''look over people's shoulders'' all the time (meaning I join in the nearest conversation to me), and one person noticed this and she was probably waiting for me to do it again so that she could point it out to me in an inappropriate way. So when the stupid foolish me did join in a conversation, she yelled, ''I wasn't speaking to you!''

I saw that happen in a forum once. A user got into a snit because she thought she and another user were having an exclusive conversation. (Isn't that what private messages are for?)
The interjecter apologized to her, and all I wanted to do was yell, "Don't you say you're sorry, you did nothing wrong at all!" I stood up for her, and got quite a self-righteous reply from Jerk User. Predictably.

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 8:39 pm

The look , people need to get it through their thick head stony faced introverts are not the Ted Bundyies of tomorrow.

I 'd be more afraid of the David Brent's of this world, sure it looks humourous on TV but man is that guy scary :P

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 8:47 pm

My sister did when I was growing up, but only her, other than that then people haven't made a big deal about me being different.

Jayo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2011, 7:40 am

aussiebloke wrote:
The look , people need to get it through their thick head stony faced introverts are not the Ted Bundyies of tomorrow.

I 'd be more afraid of the David Brent's of this world, sure it looks humourous on TV but man is that guy scary :P

I don't know where somebody would derive such an idea...Ted Bundy was an extrovert by nature, from what I read, he would approach anyone and start chatting (never mind what it LED to...) Usually the charming, manipulative behaviour and a high level of street smarts, which serial killers tend to have, are the attributes of an extreme extrovert, not an extreme introvert.

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2011, 7:32 pm

Jayo wrote:
aussiebloke wrote:

I don't know where somebody would derive such an idea...Ted Bundy was an extrovert by nature, from what I read, he would approach anyone and start chatting (never mind what it LED to...) Usually the charming, manipulative behaviour and a high level of street smarts, which serial killers tend to have, are the attributes of an extreme extrovert, not an extreme introvert.[/quote

I agree with you :) most don't seem to get it, hence me saying watch out for the David Brents of this world (The Office) UK one not the Johhny come (very) lately American version.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

26 Oct 2011, 10:31 pm

Thanks to all who responded! I'm eager to hear more responses, insights or opinions! :D

Jayo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 8:30 am

I've had NT's constantly point out how different I was, usually middle-aged female managers in the workplace, in the past...and whenever we Aspies get this sort of treaatment, I have to wonder, what is the MOTIVE???

1) Is it because they are sickened and repulsed by what they see, some sort of abomination that doesn't meet their everyday "normal" expectations?

2) Is it because they genuinely want to improve us through "brute force"???

3) Or is it a pretext for tormenting us to give them some warped sense of pleasure i.e. covert bullying??

It's hard to tell.

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 6:36 pm

I often get asked to show my bags when I leave a store .

wierd ?

peaceloveerin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Nov 2011, 6:45 pm

Luckily, no one seems to notice anything different about me but I've always wondered if I should disclose it to others.