Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Frieslander
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2011, 3:15 pm

I am with family and they read the Bible and pray. Seems like an utter waste of time? Why talk to someone who isn't there.

Martin Luther, the reformer, once said, ""If I fail to spend two hours in prayer each morning, the devil gets the victory through the day. I have so much business I cannot get on without spending three hours daily in prayer."

I DON'T think this true at all. It's a complete waste of time. Why Christians spend so much time worhipping "God", studying "God"? I sometimes think the world would be much better off is not so much time and energy doing this sort of stuff.

HerrGrimm
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2011, 5:21 pm

Frieslander wrote:
I am with family and they read the Bible and pray. Seems like an utter waste of time? Why talk to someone who isn't there.

Martin Luther, the reformer, once said, ""If I fail to spend two hours in prayer each morning, the devil gets the victory through the day. I have so much business I cannot get on without spending three hours daily in prayer."

I DON'T think this true at all. It's a complete waste of time. Why Christians spend so much time worhipping "God", studying "God"? I sometimes think the world would be much better off is not so much time and energy doing this sort of stuff.

Martin Luther also said that doctors who try to treat patients as if they were not demonically possessed were "ignorant blockheads." But you do not have to worry about Luther. He was an anti-Semite and wanted to drown autistic children, so Christians today would say he is not one of them, and therefore he is a false teacher. Whatever he says about Christianity or faith is AUTOMATICALLY false.

I believe religion was a way to explain how the world worked and gave people security and unity. Unfortunately it has been around for so long that when science/etc. came around and explained things better in a lot of cases, it would not go away. To answer your question "Why?", I say some people still need that security and unity in this way. I feel that is unfortunate. Religion is still growing in poor areas around the world, and it is disheartening.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2011, 5:23 pm

Its better to believe in something then it is to live for nothing :wink:

HerrGrimm
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2011, 5:40 pm

Joker wrote:

I do actually live for something. I live for putting people like you in your place when you make ignorant attacks on other people.

Therefore, I think you need to focus more on that bait abortion thread you made than this one. I do not want to hear from people like you complaining about "religion-bashing" threads when you make one like that attacking pro-choice people. I do not think I need to reply to you any further, so unless someone else actually says Martin Luther is a Christian (which you did not, by the way), I am done with this thread and will stop derailing it for this long. I am going to go to your thread now to continue this anyway.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2011, 5:44 pm

HerrGrimm wrote:
Joker wrote:

I do actually live for something. I live for putting people like you in your place when you make ignorant attacks on other people.

Therefore, I think you need to focus more on that bait abortion thread you made than this one. I do not want to hear from people like you complaining about "religion-bashing" threads when you make one like that attacking pro-choice people. I do not think I need to reply to you any further, so unless someone else actually says Martin Luther is a Christian (which you did not, by the way), I am done with this thread and will stop derailing it for this long. I am going to go to your thread now to continue this anyway.

The thread is a attack of Jews Muslims Christians Hindus ect not just me Lad you can try to put me in my place but I am a stubborn Irishmen
:wink: ahh the blame game seems like everyone loves to play it :lol:

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2011, 7:41 pm

HerrGrimm wrote:
Frieslander wrote:

Martin Luther also said that doctors who try to treat patients as if they were not demonically possessed were "ignorant blockheads." But you do not have to worry about Luther. He was an anti-Semite and wanted to drown autistic children, so Christians today would say he is not one of them, and therefore he is a false teacher. Whatever he says about Christianity or faith is AUTOMATICALLY false.

I believe religion was a way to explain how the world worked and gave people security and unity. Unfortunately it has been around for so long that when science/etc. came around and explained things better in a lot of cases, it would not go away. To answer your question "Why?", I say some people still need that security and unity in this way. I feel that is unfortunate. Religion is still growing in poor areas around the world, and it is disheartening.

Martin Luther also lived during a time where medical science was in its dark ages and doctors probably were little better than Witch Doctors.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2011, 7:47 pm

Frieslander wrote:

So, there is no possibility at all that you might be missing something?

Frieslander
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2011, 7:50 pm

HerrGrimm wrote:

I don't think I knew about Luther. Pretty sad. John Calvin, another Protestant reformer supposed "heretics" at the stake. I don't see why the denomination in which I was raised named their main college and seminary after him.

The rest of the discussion entered this thread--I don't have a whole lot to say. Except that I am pro-life in almost all cases. I'll try to stay away from this feud that Joker and HerrGrimm seem to be in.

HerrGrimm
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2011, 7:51 pm

The feud is over on this thread. It is somewhere else. Don't worry about it.

Frieslander
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2011, 7:58 pm

shrox wrote:
Frieslander wrote:

So, there is no possibility at all that you might be missing something?

Technically I consider myself to be agnostic... but I border on atheist. I'm not going to say there is absolutely no god.

Frieslander
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2011, 8:02 pm

HerrGrimm wrote:
He was an anti-Semite and wanted to drown autistic children....

The page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism suggests that the report of this story may not be true.

HerrGrimm
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2011, 8:10 pm

Frieslander wrote:
HerrGrimm wrote:
He was an anti-Semite and wanted to drown autistic children....

The page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism suggests that the report of this story may not be true.

The source where I got this from is the exact source on Wikipedia, but I could have sworn it was drowned, not suffocated.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 1:53 am

Joker wrote:
So you mean, that if it wasn't for your belief in god, you would be living for nothing? That's just sad.

I have plenty of things to live for: My family, my career, wealth, sex, improving the world through the awesomeness of programming, being awesome, etc.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 1:57 am

Vexcalibur wrote:
Joker wrote:
So you mean, that if it wasn't for your belief in god, you would be living for nothing? That's just sad.

I have plenty of things to live for: My family, my career, wealth, sex, improving the world through the awesomeness of programming, being awesome, etc.

My religion fuels me it drives me just like the force with out it I die when I am cut off from it.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 5:00 am

Frieslander wrote:

Praying is a waste of time. If God knows what He is doing, all of our wailing and crying will not change His judgments. If God does not exist, then praying is for naught. In either case praying does not change anything except our attitudes and there are more constructive ways of doing that..

It is more important to Do than to Pray.

ruveyn

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 9:36 am

ruveyn wrote:
Frieslander wrote:

Praying is a waste of time. If God knows what He is doing, all of our wailing and crying will not change His judgments. If God does not exist, then praying is for naught. In either case praying does not change anything except our attitudes and there are more constructive ways of doing that..

It is more important to Do than to Pray.

ruveyn

What ruveyn said is QFT. (Quoted for Truth) <.<