Two ways to kill a mammoth, two ways to gather berries.

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2011, 4:10 pm

I have a theory that some people when they are out in nature would be more likely to hunt and gather in groups and some would do it alone. These differences would account for a lot of different personalities and ways of thinking in autistics and NTs.

The autistic way to hunt a mammoth would be to chase it until it got tired or to make a strategy to run it off a cliff. in order to do this you would need a lot of endurance and a very long attention span. chasing a large animal requires sometimes days of hunting before it gets tired enough to catch. also you would be required to fixate on the goal and never get bored or wander off. hunting by chasing requires a very good spatial awareness and understanding of how landscape, terrain, topography, and foliage will affect the chase. Also, you would need an encyclopedic knowledge of mammoth feeding patterns, migration patterns, behavior, and reactions to being hunted.

The NT way to hunt a mammoth would be to gather a group of 25 to 30 people. then, they would select a leader and debate a strategy for hunting. hunting in a group requires a lot of quick signals and body language. usually they would chase the animal a little then surround it and attack it. when you are in a group you need to catch enough to support everybody, so it would be important to have a short attention span and if one hunt wasn't successful move to the next target. when it comes time to divide up the meat, the most important and dominant people in the group would get the most meat. so, to survive one would always be in a power struggle with all the members of one's group. hunting by surrounding would only require a general knowledge of surrounding because the hunters could communicate these things to each other easily.

The autistic way to gather would be to consider where berries would likely be, then go find the most efficient way to gather them. an autistic person would always have to gather enough to be completely self supporting. in order to do this they would have to know what kind of soil, landscape, sunlight, water, and altitude the berries would grow at. they would need to have an encyclopediac knowledge of these factors and also be able to predict things like, if there is this kind of soil and the sunlight hits this face of the hill, then will the sunlight and soil on the other side be good for berries?

The NT way to gather would be to spread out over the landscape until someone found a patch. they would then call the other members of the group. since there would be a lot of people trying to get one patch of berries the dominant people in the group would get more. and they would have to find more patches than an autistic person. looking for berries in this way would only require a basic knowledge of surroundings.

On a side note, predatory animals like mountain lions sometimes attack people who walk alone even in this day and age, so autistic people would always have to watch their back. maybe, they would even have to hunt down all the predatory animals in the area so that the animal wouldn't kill them in their sleep.

so, i think that those different life styles our hunter-gatherer ancestors had could have affected personality types today. but, some things that make this theory more complicated is that some people would have hunted as a couple or a small group. also, people always intermarry so a lot of people have different mixes of personality traits, or symptoms.

CannabisForAutism
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Oct 2011, 4:51 pm

I can catch a whole herd of woolly Mammoth with just a jam jar and a sock. I'm autistic and I know for a fact that all our ancestors were eating everything, including elephants, 2 million years ago. It's catching whales that really took serious brains, and balls ;)

I think you're on the right track. Autism is caused by 'food' ; http://silencedbysilencedbyageofautism. ... /Aetiology

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2011, 5:51 pm

CannabisForAutism wrote:
I can catch a whole herd of woolly Mammoth with just a jam jar and a sock. I'm autistic and I know for a fact that all our ancestors were eating everything, including elephants, 2 million years ago. It's catching whales that really took serious brains, and balls ;)

I think you're on the right track. Autism is caused by 'food' ; http://silencedbysilencedbyageofautism. ... /Aetiology

canabalism is a scary idea. and one which might not represent autism well.

Burzum
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2011, 6:10 pm

Why would you hunt a mammoth by yourself? You would only be able to eat a ridiculously small portion of it before the meat begins to rot.

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2011, 6:21 pm

i read about some hunters in the amazon who would make a kill then pig out until the amount of food they ate would knock them out.

CannabisForAutism
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Oct 2011, 6:25 pm

Burzum wrote:
Why would you hunt a mammoth by yourself? You would only be able to eat a ridiculously small portion of it before the meat begins to rot.

How else are you supposed to get vegetables in the winter in ice age Europe? If you do happen to catch a mammoth then it will be 100% meat when you start eating it and 50% veg by the time you get to the other end, 6 months and one happy family later (do the maths - how many people can live off 10 ton of meat for six months?).

No one gets sick because everyone gets used to the bacteria gradually. Cooking helps too.

If you run out of mammoth you can always eat your brother instead.

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2011, 6:40 pm

CannabisForAutism wrote:
Burzum wrote:

How else are you supposed to get vegetables in the winter in ice age Europe? If you do happen to catch a mammoth then it will be 100% meat when you start eating it and 50% veg by the time you get to the other end, 6 months and one happy family later (do the maths - how many people can live off 10 ton of meat for six months?).

No one gets sick because everyone gets used to the bacteria gradually. Cooking helps too.

If you run out of mammoth you can always eat your brother instead.

if you bury cooked meat under snow it preserves for 6 months

CannabisForAutism
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Oct 2011, 7:15 pm

And you can find it later if you can erect a large enough monolith!

KemoreJ
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Oct 2011, 7:18 pm

or the hunters could just realise they could meet their needs for protein by eating nuts and certain grains, legumes and vegetables :wink:

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2011, 11:00 pm

The two ways my autistic tribe of expert tool makers would get the meat and the berries plus a little extra.The first thing would be to know the paths the NT hunter-gather tribes use to get back home. The autistic tool makers would fire our atlattles and bows from the safety of the bushes and from behind camouflaged punji stick ladden pit traps at the over burdened meat carrying hunters. The ones who do not catch an arrow in the belly in the intial attack run right into the pit traps as they charge us with their spears and clubs. We get the food, we get their women, and the survivors and their children's desendents will help one day build the autistic tribe's desendent's pyramids since they will be bred into a low intelligent slave race. All is good.

KemoreJ
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Oct 2011, 8:12 pm

:D

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2011, 3:16 am

Burzum wrote:

I read the Clan of the Cave Bear series of books and they would do things like dry the meat over fires to make beef jerky. Some tribes that were further north dug into the ground down to where the ground was always frozen to make refrigerators and freezers.

IDontGetIt
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Oct 2011, 3:54 am

Burzum wrote:

At least you'd be guaranteed to get the best bits. In a group I just know I'd be given the tail or the eyes or something, and everyone else would point and laugh at me.
Anyway, I've figured out another way to get the mammoth. Have sabre tooth tigers as your special interest, have 8 or 10 of them trained to kill the NTs after they've caught a mammoth, then you and the tigers sit there feasting, and pointing at the NTs and laughing. :D
Hey, it was ancient times, life was tough.

LittleBlackCat
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Oct 2011, 6:45 am

Chances are I wouldn't hunt mammoth or people but would have worked out a different food source that was more efficient for me. I definitely wouldn't work in a group though - whenever I've tried to do anything in a group I've usually despaired and gone off and done my own thing while they're still arguing about how they're going to go about it...

KemoreJ
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Oct 2011, 7:54 pm

Yes it always seems that when people get together in a group, anyone who is perceived to be an outsider (has different interests or perspective) they can be viscious! For that reason I generally don't join groups even if they want me in it because I despise the dynamic and would not want others outed.

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2011, 8:39 pm

LittleBlackCat wrote:
Chances are I wouldn't hunt mammoth or people but would have worked out a different food source that was more efficient for me. I definitely wouldn't work in a group though - whenever I've tried to do anything in a group I've usually despaired and gone off and done my own thing while they're still arguing about how they're going to go about it...
Well I meant mammoth in a generalway. The deeper meaning is that there are two ways to solve a problem, and these are linked to different personality types