Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2011, 10:51 pm

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 5:06 am

Joker wrote:

Do you object to the government regulating every last detail of your life. Telling you what to eat and not to eat. Telling you how to work. If you object to such detailed government regulation of your one and only life, then you are a libertarian.

Thomas Jefferson once wrote: Were the government to ordain we we should reap and when we should sow, we should soon all want for bread.

ruveyn

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 12:26 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Do you object to the government regulating every last detail of your life. Telling you what to eat and not to eat. Telling you how to work. If you object to such detailed government regulation of your one and only life, then you are a libertarian.

Thomas Jefferson once wrote: Were the government to ordain we we should reap and when we should sow, we should soon all want for bread.

ruveyn

Alas, a tad too extreme a perspective to my way of thinking.

The government has no proper role in regulating every last detail of my life.

But I do expect the government to set up rules so that the food I buy is safe for human consumption.
I do expect the government to set up rules so that only properly qualified people are eligible to undertake certain professions.
I do expect the government to set up rules so that my house won't fall down, or burn to the ground in the ordinary course of living in it.
I do expect the government to set up rules that protect my safety while I go about my daily life, so that I can make choices about the risks that I am willing to take.
I do expect the government to set up rules so that I can obtain redress from those who injure or cheat me.

There is a difference between laws and regulations that have the effect of making society function more effectively and "regulating every last detail of your life." If the rhetoric were less absolute, I think we would find a great deal of common ground.

peebo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 12:50 pm

i really object to this new american definition of libertarian. so far away from the true meaning of the word. nothing more than unpoliced, rampant consumer capitalism. well i say unpoliced, that is only if you discount the private armies that corporations and the rich will employ to stamp down the masses.

?Civil government, so far as it is instituted for the security of property, is in reality instituted for the defense of the rich against the poor, or of those who have some property against those who have none at all.?

Adam Smith

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 1:06 pm

visagrunt wrote:

There is a difference between laws and regulations that have the effect of making society function more effectively and "regulating every last detail of your life." If the rhetoric were less absolute, I think we would find a great deal of common ground.

Libertarians are not anarchists. They are minarchists. They want the government to be capable of assuring public health and safety, to be capable of protecting the lives and property of its citizens from wrongful aggression. That is why we have governments in the first place.

If you want the government to be big enough to ensure public safety and small enough not to interfere with your property internal affairs then you are a libertarian.

ruveyn

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 1:09 pm

ruveyn wrote:
visagrunt wrote:

Libertarians are not anarchists. They are minarchists. They want the government to be capable of assuring public health and safety, to be capable of protecting the lives and property of its citizens from wrongful aggression. That is why we have governments in the first place.

If you want the government to be big enough to ensure public safety and small enough not to interfere with your property internal affairs then you are a libertarian.

ruveyn

Then why are said libertarians to be found advocating absolutely the opposite of that on occasion?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 1:10 pm

Gedrene wrote:

Then why are said libertarians to be found advocating absolutely the opposite of that on occasion?

When, where, how? Be specific.

ruveyn

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 4:17 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Joker wrote:

ruveyn

I object to the goverment, making pointless laws, and regualitions, that make no since at all as long as I pay my taxes, the goverment, leaves me be I am ok with that.

JWC
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 4:24 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Gedrene wrote:

ruveyn

You should know that's too much to ask.

peebo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 4:32 pm

ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

this is only a minor distinction, though. the "anarcho capitalists" would prefer to hire their own police/private protection operatives, where the "libertarians" would rather dispense the necessity to do this and have a government to do their bidding that is effectively impotent aside from the power to prevent the proles from causing trouble.

?Civil government, so far as it is instituted for the security of property, is in reality instituted for the defense of the rich against the poor, or of those who have some property against those who have none at all.?

Adam Smith

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 4:37 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Gedrene wrote:

ruveyn

For example the liberalization of the equity market in the United States. That led to the sub-prime mortgage crisis. Libertarianism specifically states that a minimum level of regulation was required, yet I doubt that the minimum level of regulation that was broken by the USA government brought any tears to the eyes of any libertarians.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 4:43 pm

Gedrene wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Gedrene wrote:

ruveyn

For example the liberalization of the equity market in the United States. That led to the sub-prime mortgage crisis. Libertarianism specifically states that a minimum level of regulation was required, yet I doubt that the minimum level of regulation that was broken by the USA government brought any tears to the eyes of any libertarians.

Liberalization can become just as irritating as their Conservative counter parts with that being said I agree with your statement.

peebo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 4:44 pm

Gedrene wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Gedrene wrote:

ruveyn

"libertarianism" is built upon absurdities of logic. you have to expect this sort of thing.

Adam Smith

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 4:48 pm

peebo wrote:
Gedrene wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Gedrene wrote:

ruveyn

"libertarianism" is built upon absurdities of logic. you have to expect this sort of thing.

:lol:

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 4:51 pm

ruveyn wrote:

Not necessarily. Most people are just liberals, not libertarians. I'm inclined towards classical liberalism and I wouldn't call myself libertarian.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 4:56 pm

Tequila wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

Not necessarily. Most people are just liberals, not libertarians. I'm inclined towards classical liberalism and I wouldn't call myself libertarian.

I do enjoy classical liberalism, thought it is better then American Liberalism, which is like a off brand soda its not as good as the original :lol: