Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Browndog
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Oct 2011, 8:26 am

Hoping people can give me some persective on this...

So I have a friend/acquantance staying at my place and maybe I didnt know her that well because it turns out she's a heavy drinker. Anyhow, I have to go away for three days and my boyfriend will be looking after my dogs and horse while Im away. So tonight she says to me ..."well I'll make sure to avoid him and if I cook dinner I'll put meat in it (he's a vegetarian) " I was like " WTF?" and she says " well I wouldnt want you to get the wrong idea." It took me a while to work out what she was saying, that she would make sure not to be alone with him.

Now, I trust my boyfried implicitly, we have been through some hard times trogether and I would never mistrust him. So I said to her " are you seriously suggesting he's interested in you?" And she said "no, no, but I just would feel uncomfortable and anyhow things happen when people are drinking" (he doesnt drink!) When I said that I would never have thought of anything like that she got very patronizing and was like "o thats how the world works, you're the only person I know who doesnt see it" I said how my male friend slept over and does that mean my boyfriend thought I was sleeping with him. and again she was so patronizing saying"of course he thought that"
So I said "You have insulted me' you have insulted my boyfriend and the things you are saying arent true for him or me but they tell alot about how your mind works" then I told her to go home (she's staying in the granny flat.) oh and I told her to have a think about her drinking. At this stage she was drinking red straight from the bottle.

So, what do people think?

jackbus01
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 9:28 am

I think she (your friend/acquaintance) was drunk and when people drink they say a lot of strange things like this and act inappropriately. I would not try to make too much sense out of this drunk talk. It sounds like her drinking problem is the bigger issue here.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 10:49 am

I think your reaction was appropriate. She sounds like trouble.

oceandrop
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Oct 2011, 11:11 am

Yes you dealt with that well by responding to her directly. Drink can cause a person to lose their capacity to reason. It would worry we slightly that she does have such thoughts though.

mvaughn32
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Oct 2011, 11:26 am

She sounds like big trouble and she might need to go stay somewhere else. People who drink heavily say a lot of horrible things and will just cause you a lot of stress.

Eureka-C
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 12:18 pm

when people live their lives making bad choices, they often assume others are making those same bad choices. In her mind, she probably thought she was being reassuring to you, when it was actually crude and insulting. To me it is sad that she will likely never know the kind of trust filled relationship you and your boyfriend have. I say give your boyfriend a big hug and tell him thanks for putting up with her.