Page 53 of 56 [ 894 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56  Next

Blue_Star
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Nov 2022, 3:33 pm

I'd be willing to pay yearly to be able to stop the Games forum appearing in the "View Posts Since Last Visit" list. Barring that, does anyone have a user script that will hide/remove them from that page/view?

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2022, 3:39 pm

^ Join ussss

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2022, 5:15 pm

^ Haha, this post made me chuckle.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

21 Nov 2022, 6:09 pm

Blue_Star wrote:
I'd be willing to pay yearly to be able to stop the Games forum appearing in the "View Posts Since Last Visit" list. Barring that, does anyone have a user script that will hide/remove them from that page/view?
Instead of using that option, which will guarantee you'll see information about threads you have no interest in, why not just choose a forum from the main index here: https://wrongplanet.net/forums/ and then look at the index presented for that forum?

That will simply show all the threads receiving posts in date/time order on the index, with the new stuff clustered toward the top. The name of the last person to post to the thread is also shown.

To make navigation even easier you can right-click on a thread of interest (or a particular page on it) and select "Open in new tab". This works best if you have your browser set to open tabs in the background, so focus isn't switched away from the index page as you select a thread.

Using this method you can work down the list of threads, choosing those of interest, and when finished you can then switch in turn to the tabs for each thread you're interested in and read/reply as required.

Rinse and repeat for any another forum of interest - I'm guessing this won't include the games forum. :wink:

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2022, 10:01 am

An alternative read-only url to share the forum, yet exclusively shows a single live thread, page or post and not the official forum itself.

I'm not sure if that exists already or not.
If it does, please tell me how.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

18 Dec 2022, 10:11 am

At the top left of every post, next to the post date/time, is a tiny rectangle. If you really squint at it you'll see it's supposed to represent a sheet of paper with a folded corner.

Hovering your mouse pointer over it you'll see that changes from an arrow to a pointing finger.

That's actually a URL for the post it's attached to and can be copy/pasted like any other URL - so, for example, this is a specific link to your post above:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=177688&p=9194805#p9194805

Copy the URL by holding your mouse pointer over the icon then do right-click -> copy link (the phrasing may vary depending on the browser - that's what Firefox shows), and then paste it in a post or your browser's address bar.
Being a URL it can be bookmarked/added to favorites like any other link.

If the post happens to be the opening post of a thread you can use it to bookmark threads - or any of the posts in a thread.

But it won't be a read-only URL or make what the URL refers to read-only - that's not something the WP forum software can do.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2022, 10:14 am

Cornflake wrote:
But it won't be a read-only URL or make what the URL refers to read-only - that's not something the WP forum software can do.

Ahh ok. :(
Thanks for the tip.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

18 Dec 2022, 10:22 am

Actually, making a URL read-only is also something your browser can't do - it's just a string of text entered into its address bar and that address bar is always editable.
But that's not to say you can't treat a URL as read-only: you don't have to change it.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2022, 10:42 am

Cornflake wrote:
At the top left of every post, next to the post date/time, is a tiny rectangle. If you really squint at it you'll see it's supposed to represent a sheet of paper with a folded corner.

Hovering your mouse pointer over it you'll see that changes from an arrow to a pointing finger.

That's actually a URL for the post it's attached to and can be copy/pasted like any other URL - so, for example, this is a specific link to your post above:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=177688&p=9194805#p9194805

Copy the URL by holding your mouse pointer over the icon then do right-click -> copy link (the phrasing may vary depending on the browser - that's what Firefox shows), and then paste it in a post or your browser's address bar.
Being a URL it can be bookmarked/added to favorites like any other link.

If the post happens to be the opening post of a thread you can use it to bookmark threads - or any of the posts in a thread.

I have my display options set to "descending order" rather than "ascending".
I've noticed when I copy / paste a URL from that little page, it sends people to the wrong post.
I always end up changing to ascending order before I link anything to anyone.

Is that "normal", or just a glitch on my system?

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

18 Dec 2022, 10:47 am

I'm not sure what you're referring to here - maybe a similar-looking icon outside of the post? :scratch:
That icon is always a URL for the post it's attached to - the display order of posts won't change that.

Edit: Ah yes, of course - profile|board preferences|display options -> ascending or descending on the drop-down.
I just set that option to "descending" but a post's address, obtained from the icon I described above, wasn't changed.

Dial1194
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Mar 2023, 5:25 am

On the forums, there's a set of page links above the table of posts, thus (or equivalent):

"Page 1 of 204 [ 5289 topics ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 204 Next Jump To:"

I'd suggest to have this duplicated and also appear directly below the table too.

At the moment, in order to browse the forums and open posts, a user might start at the top of the page (where the page defaults to displaying on loading), and move down the list. Once they reach the bottom, they might want to continue onto the second page - but with the current format they will have to scroll back up to the top of the page in order to be able to click on the appropriate link. Once they do so, the same problem will occur on the next page. And the next, and the next, and the next...

Duplicating the navigation line underneath the table of posts will make it easier to quickly go to the next page once the list of posts has been read top to bottom. It's a moderately common layout technique used in a lot of internet post forums (the ones which haven't switched to infinite-scroll, which is annoying in its own way).

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

14 Mar 2023, 6:40 am

Yes, that's particularly irritating having to keep scrolling back to the top - especially as once you've opened a multi-page thread, that "go to" link is at the top and bottom of the page.

But, sorry to keep restating it - the site is effectively abandonware with no active development.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2023, 3:08 pm

I feel the haven should be hidden from the public, like the members section. I know there's a random members thread but we still prefer to post personal issues in the haven because of the way it's a sensitive part of the forum (referring to the haven rules). But a lot of people's threads in the haven can involve personal private issues that they may wish to keep more private.

That is why I post a lot of haven posts in the members only, for privacy reasons, even though I want haven-friendly responses.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2023, 8:48 am

I always think it would be an idea that when someone gets banned to put like a "Banned" stamp type thing on their profile picture.

I used to be a member of a site that did this and I always thought it was a good touch.

Something like this

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2023, 8:52 am

:lol:

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

04 Jun 2023, 9:20 am

Several years ago the avatar used to be changed to a small "x" icon for banned users but this was stopped - probably because changing their avatar makes their posts more difficult to spot.
And that particular member is temporarily banned.