Page 48 of 56 [ 894 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 56  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2020, 11:03 am

I feel we should only limit the amount of threads started and replied to until a person has, say, 50 posts, and the Mods can review the content of these posts after the 50-post threshold is reached. This is so we can confirm that a person is a real contributor to the Site. We already have this rule for the submission of links.

I don’t feel we should limit the quantity of each post at all.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2020, 11:07 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
... I don’t feel we should limit the quantity of each post at all.
Doing so would prevent all members from posting "walls of words", and force them to put their ideas in a simple, concise format that is easy to read and does not lead to a lack of replies from a general sense of "tl:dr:dc".

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Steve1963
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2020, 11:46 am

Fnord wrote:
Ideas From The Trenches

These are just ideas, folks, so don't attack me for posting them.  I can elaborate on them later, but for now I am only stating them in their most concise form, with suggested implementations in parentheses - ().

• Do away with all the "Counting" threads.

• Do away with images, links, and videos in signature lines.

• Establish rules on "Bullying" and "Harassment" that are more clearly-defined and more consistently enforceable.

• Limit the length of each posted video (3 minutes).

• Limit the number of images or videos in each post (1), on-site emojis exempted.

• Limit the number of new threads any one member can start (1 per 24 hours).

• Limit the number of replies any one member can make (10 per 24 hours).

• Limit the size of each post (1,920 ASCII characters or 80 columns x 24 lines).

• Limit the size of images in each post (800 x 600 pixels).

• Recruit more moderators, and train them in the standards they should follow.

Sure, these ideas may seem draconian, but they are not likely to cause problems unless people feel their "freedoms" are being curtailed.

tl;dr

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

29 Jul 2020, 12:48 pm

Most of the ideas previously discussed above, a while back as well as today, require admin tools, which current mods don't have.

A few of the ideas worth looking into - not quite as draconian but clearer rules on harassment and bullying are desirable.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2020, 1:34 pm

envirozentinel wrote:
Most of the ideas previously discussed above, a while back as well as today, require admin tools, which current mods don't have.
Yeah, I know.  It would be nice to have the tools and the permission to use them.  Heck, I'd even give up my right to post on WP if they were granted to me!
envirozentinel wrote:
A few of the ideas worth looking into -- not quite as draconian but clearer rules on harassment and bullying are desirable.
I know it may seem weird (to some) coming from me, but well-defined boundaries addressing specific behaviors would be nice to have as well.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

29 Jul 2020, 11:51 pm

^I absolutely agree.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Dial1194
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Aug 2020, 6:14 am

Fnord wrote:
• Do away with all the "Counting" threads.

I don't know about doing away with them; they seem quite popular. Maybe tag them, and allow site members to have posts with user-selected tags not displayed (or displayed in a minimized format)? That way, people could turn off the display of [Counting] threads (or whatever else they preferred not to see) on a user-by-user basis.

Mostly, I'm recommending a tag for them as they do appear to be fairly common on the site, and have been for a while - they're not just a flash in the pan. People want and like them, so even if they're not my personal cup of tea, banning them might get a bit of backlash. And for better or worse, they are kind of part of the flavor of the site. I wouldn't want a newcomer to the site missing them completely.

Ade C
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Oct 2020, 1:53 pm

As a newbie I find the layout of the forums really confusing on a phone. Is there any way to change the view settings? There's WAY too much information on the screen

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

10 Oct 2020, 6:18 pm

Welcome to the site Ade.

I don’t believe there are any such settings. Perhaps the display settings on the phone itself might help, but might not be worthwhile just for one site if everything else works fine.

I’ve fairly recently switched to primarily using my phone to browse. My personal experience using WP on mobile has been positive (except for a couple of mod activities), but I did know what I was looking at already. I can imagine that it might be harder for a new user.

I should say now that I don’t have anything to do with the design of the site. But I do think the mobile experience could be worse, considering the site’s age.

Ade C
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Oct 2020, 4:43 am

Thanks for the reply. I've changed some display settings on the phone which have helped a bit. The PM system is a bit of a nightmare though!
A lot of people seem to put loads of stuff in their signatures which detracts from the text in the post. Guess I'll learn to filter the irrelevant stuff out eventually. If only I could do that in life too!

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

11 Oct 2020, 5:19 am

Ade C wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I've changed some display settings on the phone which have helped a bit. The PM system is a bit of a nightmare though!
A lot of people seem to put loads of stuff in their signatures which detracts from the text in the post. Guess I'll learn to filter the irrelevant stuff out eventually. If only I could do that in life too!

Ah, yes, you’re right about the PMs.

There is a rule about length and complexity of signatures. We have been a bit lax about enforcing it. It is good to be reminded about why these things are important.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

11 Oct 2020, 8:51 am

Ade C wrote:
A lot of people seem to put loads of stuff in their signatures which detracts from the text in the post. Guess I'll learn to filter the irrelevant stuff out eventually.
In your "My Account|Edit Display Options" is a yes/no selection "Display signatures" - that hides all signatures when "no".
Using a phone in landscape mode (this can usually be set so the phone switches automatically on rotation) helps with the site layout somewhat but WP really only looks best on tablets and screens, which isn't ideal.

Actually I'm not sure there is a way of displaying several forums and their multiple topics & posts in a way that would be clean and concise on a phone; the site being forum-based is probably a little "old school" these days but re-developing it so it looks good on both desktop and phone is unlikely to be cheap, let alone free, and at the moment the only site expense is hosting - which Alex covers without cost to the members.

Ade C
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Oct 2020, 12:59 pm

Thanks. Hiding the signatures will be helpful

bcousins
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2020, 7:58 pm

Cornflake wrote:
Using a phone in landscape mode (this can usually be set so the phone switches automatically on rotation) helps with the site layout somewhat but WP really only looks best on tablets and screens, which isn't ideal.

Problem I've got is that if I happen to scroll through a thread and scroll on a post on a phone, that post will scroll and not the page. That's a stupid thing, is poor UX, and needs to be fixed.

diagnosedafter50
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jan 2021, 8:11 pm

I think it would be a great asset to the site if there was a like button like on some other forums.
There are many posts I like and I want the posters to know.
Maybe other members might feel the same?
Meanwhile I am using the :heart: emoji but I do not feel that this has the same effect a like button would have.
What do you think?
Thank you.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2021, 5:12 pm

In this post here, note how GammaRayBob is confused about KT67's gender, much to KT67's annoyance.

As KT67 has pointed out before, when one clicks "Edit Profile," the fields that can be changed do NOT include "Gender." Could someone bring this to Alex's attention and see if this can be changed?