Page 50 of 56 [ 894 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 56  Next

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2021, 6:48 pm

I always thought a history sub forum would be a good idea.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2021, 7:05 am

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
I agree with the idea of no political sigs. I forgot that you can turn off signatures, but I might do that since I just scroll past them all as I'm tired of seeing political ones. I've even seen vaguely transphobic ones before, but they're not there anymore so I don't know if they got removed via mods, but I doubt it since one was there for a long time. They all certainly make this site very unwelcoming.

Thanks for speaking up. Hopefully others who feel similarly will speak up too.

If I had my druthers -- if I were in charge of software development for an online forum -- I would give users the option of having multiple sigs, with possibly a different sig showing in each sub-forum. That way, political sigs could be limited to the sub-forums in which politics is allowed to be discussed. Alas, such a thing will probably never happen here on WP, so, to keep political-themed sigs out of non-political sub-forums, it would be necessary to prohibit political sigs altogether.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2021, 9:16 pm

Garfield Minus Garfield  is a website dedicated to removing Garfield from the Garfield comic strips in order to reveal the existential angst of a certain young Mr. Jon Arbuckle.  It is a journey deep into the mind of an isolated young everyman as he fights a losing battle against loneliness and depression in a quiet American suburb.

After reading through about a year's worth of these comics, I think Jon Arbuckle should be the new mascot of WrongPlanet.  In my humble opinion, he really is one of us...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

17 Jul 2021, 11:15 pm

An astute observation indeed - even with the regular comic strip I've often thought so.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Noble Glomad
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Sep 2021, 5:34 am

I believe I'm in the right place here, I would like to make a feedback comment about the site.

These emoticon things, the yellow faces and such, that people can add in to their text to add emotion, I have a bit of a difficulty with them.

Some of them 'flash'. i.e. there is a face with blinking eyes, there is a pulsing heart, a face with a moving smile, plus others.

I find them so distracting! It's so difficult to read the post with these things flashing at me (lol). I have to hold my finger over them to block them out. I wondered if the 'flashing' emoticons are really so necessary, don't get me wrong I love the idea of Emoticons, and I use them myself, it's just these flashing ones jump out at me and don't let me go (grahhh!).

I tried blocking them with an ad-blocker but that didn't work, maybe I have to disable Flash for this website or something?

Any suggestions how I can calm them down, gratefully accepted, TY :D

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

29 Sep 2021, 6:12 am

Yes - you can switch them off entirely as follows:
click on "My Account" at the top of any screen, then click on "Board preferences" on the left of the screen, then "Edit display options" on the left and finally, change the option next to "Display smilies as images:" to "No".
Click on the "Submit" button and you're done.

Now emoticons will display as their text version so, for example, the "rolling eyes" image will display as ":roll:" instead.

Noble Glomad
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Sep 2021, 5:31 am

Cornflake wrote:
Yes - you can switch them off entirely.

Thank you Cornflake for taking the time to answer :D

txfz1
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2021, 10:06 am

TL/DR the whole thread.

What about adding the "like" function to the posts. I read some brilliant posts and want to acknowledge them but don't have much to say on the subject. Plus the endorphins from receiving them are nice.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2021, 10:14 am

txfz1 wrote:
TL/DR the whole thread.

What about adding the "like" function to the posts. I read some brilliant posts and want to acknowledge them but don't have much to say on the subject. Plus the endorphins from receiving them are nice.
This has already been addressed.

• phpBB software is incapable of displaying "like" buttons.

• If you want people to vote :thumright: or :thumbdown: you need to attach a poll to the threads you start.

• If you want to express your appreciation for an individual post, then just post an appropriate reply.

• If you really feel the need for affirmation, appreciation, or approval, then maybe WrongPlanet is not for you.

txfz1
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2021, 1:02 pm

Fnord wrote:
This has already been addressed.

• phpBB software is incapable of displaying "like" buttons.

• If you want people to vote :thumright: or :thumbdown: you need to attach a poll to the threads you start.

• If you want to express your appreciation for an individual post, then just post an appropriate reply.

• If you really feel the need for affirmation, appreciation, or approval, then maybe WrongPlanet is not for you.

Thank you for the response, you make some good points.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2022, 10:36 am

Because there are members who seem to take any thread so far off on their own tangent that the original intent of the thread is lost, I feel it necessary to ask if it is possible to lock a thread against reply-posts and still leave an attached poll open?

By 'poll', I mean one with a broad spectrum of options, not one wherein the options all mean the same thing.

Thank you.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

05 May 2022, 3:57 pm

Sorry - a thread can only be locked preventing any form of interaction, or not locked at all.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2022, 10:01 pm

What would the moderators think of designating a few members as advisors to the moderators, such that they could be asked to submit non-binding "amicus curiae" posts in the interest of specific cases pending action?

Quote:
amicus curiae (n):

1) A party that is not involved in a particular litigation but that is allowed by the court to advise it on a matter of law or policy directly affecting the litigation.

2) a person/entity who has been allowed by the court to plead or make submissions but who, however, is not directly involved in the action.

3) an adviser to the court on some matter of law who is not a party to the case; usually someone who wants to influence the outcome of a lawsuit involving matters of wide public interest
These "counselors", of course, would have to be members in good standing*, with no "board warnings" or suspensions against them, and who consistently make useful contributions to the WP community.

These "counselors" might also be thought of as "Moderators In Training", in case any of the current moderators steps down.

(*Of which I am not.)

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

07 May 2022, 5:33 am

Hmm - that was tried once for the Autism Politics, Activism, and Media Representation forum.
It didn't really work out, for many reasons.

In fact, it's already achieved indirectly through the normal reporting mechanisms - members tend to be very clear when explaining their issues with a post or thread and in most cases, their objections are well-founded and help advise moderator action.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2022, 3:34 pm

I feel we need an ADHD section, just specifically for those of us who have ADHD challenges more than ASD and wish to chat to others with ADHD, whilst still on an autism forum. Yes, I'm aware that the psychological conditions section exists and ADHD is included in its description but that is more for mental health disorders and ADHD often gets missed. What I mean is having a section just for ADHD, because ADHD is the most common co-morbid among autistics (and vice versa) and a lot may benefit from it. Also ADHD threads often get ignored or only live for a short time before they die off. It might not happen so much if it had its own section.

Just a suggestion. Probably won't materialise but it's worth a mention.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2022, 3:37 pm

I think that’s a good idea, Joe.