Unexpected change and public meltdown

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

alexi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Oct 2011, 12:49 am

I have an extremely hard time coping with unexpected change. I just had a massive public meltdown. The bus drivers went on strike suddenly and after an hour of waiting I had to walk over an hour home. In that time I cried, flapped, ran... while trying to just get home to escape the awful feelings I was having.

I logically knew that I wasn't in "real" physical danger, but my body and mind were telling me I was in terrible danger. I fell into a hyperventilating, bright, loud hole that I couldn't get out of until I was safe in my home with the door shut behind me.

Anyone have any tricks to make that logical part of your brain that is saying "it's ok, you are safe" any louder?

For now, I need a nap.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2011, 1:00 am

alexi wrote:
I have an extremely hard time coping with unexpected change. I just had a massive public meltdown. The bus drivers went on strike suddenly and after an hour of waiting I had to walk over an hour home. In that time I cried, flapped, ran... while trying to just get home to escape the awful feelings I was having.

I logically knew that I wasn't in "real" physical danger, but my body and mind were telling me I was in terrible danger. I fell into a hyperventilating, bright, loud hole that I couldn't get out of until I was safe in my home with the door shut behind me.

Anyone have any tricks to make that logical part of your brain that is saying "it's ok, you are safe" any louder?

For now, I need a nap.

Honestly sometimes I'd rather walk than take the bus anyway. Why would you want to be on a crowded dirty bus when the drivers are upset and you can walk and have time to yourself instead?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2011, 1:04 am

Oh dear.

I try and have a back up plan for when things happen like if that happened to me, I can call my aunt or uncle or cousin to come and get me and bring me home. Do you know anyone in the area like friends or family or neighbors who can give you a ride? If my bus fails to come, I take my car to work and park it at the mall and walk two blocks to work.

I used to get very upset over unexpected change and I have learned to deal with it over the years so I don't meltdown as much and I try and think of something else, a back up plan. It also reduces my anxiety a whole lot.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2011, 8:19 am

I can't have meltdowns in public because it's embarrassing and everybody would laugh at me then remember my face and ridicule me every time they see me (yes, where I come from people are that nasty, yes even adults), and I do not want that to happen.

Sudden change doesn't give me meltdowns. Usually things related to fear are what causes me meltdowns, like snow, vomit, fire, or death. And even then I won't have one in public.....unless, say for example, a close relative of mine just got knocked down and killed right in front of me, but then that's to be understood. I think people would look and ridicule if I didn't react harshly to that!)

Otherwise, I wouldn't generally. I hope not!