Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Pocket
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Oct 2011, 4:57 pm

I found wrong planet via a reference in the end of the wikipedia article on Aspergers Syndrome. I guess I could have found it via a google search, too, but there you go.

I just turned 25, and live quite a "normal" life, if not envied now and then. I am preparing my master thesis just now, I enjoy several hobbies, score high grades, and while I have diffuculties making close friends and trusting male peers, I have many acquintances. I am also generally well respected by NTs. I am yet to be diagnosed. Two very different, and very unrelated people have made me aware of AS symptoms, and after browsing these I am very confident that I fit the box, addtional reading and a few tests have confirmed this, too. Exactly what will happen with the diagnosis I do not know. What I do know is that no description has been more precise of me. Unfortunately Danish health and social systems are very inexperienced with AS, so I have gone undetected so far. I seem to be quite a classic case, though. Generally I do okay social wise, although my original sense of humor and bad timing put me at odds.

I study Agricultural & International Economics at the master level, and do well, when I am able to focus on what we are supposed to learn. I have several part time jobs including traffic counting for the City of Copenhagen (including being paid for writing down company names and license plates from vans, yeah!), visitors guide at the faculty and study guidance/ study programme promotion at high schools for the faculty. I also help out when we have public events at the university. I have my own flat, 3 kilometers from the university. I am chairman of the board in the social housing complex I live in. I sublet a room to an exchange student. I am very unsure about what I will gain from getting an official diagnosis, but I am quite happy that it is free to get one around here, or may even provide some public benefits. On the other hand I worry if it could have some consequences for my working life. I hope to work as an economist for the Danish Government, the EU, or some related NGO like OXFAM or Christian Aid.

I enjoy gardening, medieval markets, LARP, board gaming, first aid assistance, strategy computer games, folk music, ultimate frisbee, tennis (clay & indoors), development aid fundraising, volunteering for non-profits and more. Especially when things work out socially, though they seldomly do.

Apparently atypical for an aspie I don't have very outspoken routines, and do well in strange places, finding my way around in new cities for example, then again, it may be one of these special interests. For all I know I do not have any of the related diagnosis, like ADHD etc. I have had my turn with being asocial, and I still don't read other persons very well, but I appear to be popular enough here and there, although I don't always thrive from socializing with too many people at once.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

18 Oct 2011, 7:00 pm

To WrongPlanet!! !Image

I too found WrongPlanet via WikiPedia article on autism and Asperger's syndrome.

Roxy75
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Oct 2011, 5:19 am

Hi there. I joined yesterday. My 17 year old son was recently diagnosed with AS. I'm still considering whether or not a diagnosis will make any difference in my life. I know that I most likely have AS, or might just be in the gray zone between AS and NT. It's not an easy choice. Nice to meet a fellow country man/woman :D . Greetings from Århus, Denmark.

Last edited by Roxy75 on 21 Oct 2011, 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Catperson
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Oct 2011, 1:29 pm

hi man

I just joined in today, don't be mad at me, I am nothing but love.

Theses in progress means little spare time...

later

Pocket
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Oct 2011, 3:14 pm

Thanks! It should mean little spare time, but it also means keeping self discipline high. Hopefully that will come again from monday onwards. Right now it is officially autumn holiday in Denmark. Ideally I should ignore the stuff, but I am spending it recreating, seeing mates, play some music and researching on what it means being Aspie. I sort of didn't realize before last week, so I am spending this one to settle with it, and consider what to do from here. In preparation for my thesis I am going to Bangladesh to do some interviewing and research in a month's time. It seems to work out, but I am far from as prepared as I should be, or thought I would be.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2011, 12:18 pm

Hello and welcome to WP. Hope you like it here.

I've been to Copenhagen on holiday twice and really enjoyed myself there. :)

tentoedsloth
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Oct 2011, 7:39 pm

Hi there. Some of my ancestors came from Denmark--Pedersens. They relocated to Toledo, Ohio, in the USA.

Just trying to make a connection here!

Roxy75
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Oct 2011, 3:11 am

Yes, Pedersen is a very common name in Denmark. Do you know which part of Denmark they originated from? I have been to the States on 2 occations, back in the 90's. But I only stayed in NY. I studied there for some time. I also lived in UK, Birmingham, whith my husband and 3 children, from 1999-2007. I love traveling, but don't get to do it much at the moment. But hey, then I'ts great I joined Wrong Planet. That's a bit like traveling too :D .

geedee
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2011, 4:45 am

Hi Pocket, welcome to Wrong Planet, you sound like your living an interesting and full life. Good luck with getting a diagnosis.

tentoedsloth

21 Oct 2011, 9:05 am

Unfortunately, I don't where in Denmark my ancestors came from.

But yes, having internet forums is great for learning about people from all over.

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2011, 10:33 am

Welcome!

Pocket
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Oct 2011, 3:04 am

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome.

With regards to Pedersen, it means Peters son, and is a really common surname. One of the ministers (taxation), Thor Möger Pedersen and a minister from the former government is called that. You cannot trace it to a particular area of Denmark, unless you start researchin the name books/church accords, which date several centuries back.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2011, 10:23 pm

Welkome to WP!

Mick :)

Screenager

25 Oct 2011, 3:15 pm

Hello! I'm a Danish, recently diagnosed, Aspie also from Copenhagen (Where around? I live on Østerbro) I got diagnosed last month on Bispebjerg Hospital Psykiatrisk Afdeling. So maybe you could get diagnosed there too? I think I'm in the youth section, but they have so called AS 'experts' who is very nice and help you to either get diagnosed there or another please. They tested me first with ADOS (Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule) But that what because they wasn't sure what I had and that took about one hour. Then I think it was called WISC-V? or something which is an IQ test and it took me a couple of sessions, because I made it so far. Then I waited a month, they made a report/evaluation and voila! Diagnosed. Please contact me if you have questions :D

Pocket
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Oct 2011, 6:44 pm

Thank you. I quite likely will contact you, but I do not feel like disclosing as much personal information as you just did, for internet privacy reasons. That we can get back to. For now I have started this post: http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt178298.html feel free to join!

helles
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 3:32 am

Live in Denmark, near Roskilde.

Just finding out that I have a lot of Asperger traits. Self diagnosis but going to talk to some people at the Asperger center later this week. Just turned 40 but could have used this information a lot earlier in life! Doing fairly ok, as long as I don´t have to be too social :D