Page 3 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

spirtualpatterns
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 13 Oct 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 56

23 Oct 2011, 8:46 pm

ictus75 wrote:
By their own definition of what a "cult" is, most religions are nothing more than cults. If by "enslave," you mean hold complete power and authority over their followers, then yes, they do enslave the working class. They are the gatekeepers of "heaven" "you can't get in unless you believe and give us your money." And since most churches/religions are built upon an aristocracy, yes, they do enslave the working class and promise them a better reward in the afterlife, if they are good enough.


Christianity is what confuses me the most because it's modern day successor is the exact opposite of what their messiah intended. According to the bible Jesus didn't preach in big mega churches, he preached outside. Jesus also drove the money changers out of the temple, but the modern day Christian church is so very money hungry. That's just one modern day religion for example. 8O



phil777
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 May 2008
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,825
Location: Montreal, Québec

23 Oct 2011, 8:51 pm

I think I'll stick with Marx on that one.



peebo
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Mar 2006
Age: 44
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,627
Location: scotland

24 Oct 2011, 1:02 am

JakobVirgil wrote:
Fnord wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
peebo wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
peebo wrote:
ah, the concessions of the benevolent ruling classes. where would we be without them?
A lot worse off. ruveyn
general common sense disagrees.
When has a poor person ever created a job or a business firm. To start even a small business one has to have some assets. ruveyn

LOL! Peebo should try handing out his resume to those folks living on Skid Row...

:lol: :lol: :lol:


lots of small business is started by 1st generation Americans starting from nothing.
The bold show how ingrained the feudal attitude is becoming.
Asking to be given work?
If more people would wise up and refuse to sell their labor wholesale to a corporation
that then turns around and sells it retail.
cut out the middle man and sell the fruit of you labor directly.



i know, the irony, eh? that we should be thankful to our masters appears to be the sentiment among many around here.


_________________
?Civil government, so far as it is instituted for the security of property, is in reality instituted for the defense of the rich against the poor, or of those who have some property against those who have none at all.?

Adam Smith


ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Age: 82
Gender: Male
Posts: 31,726
Location: New Jersey

24 Oct 2011, 9:30 am

peebo wrote:


i know, the irony, eh? that we should be thankful to our masters appears to be the sentiment among many around here.


You would prefer to bite the hand that feeds you?

ruveyn



peebo
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Mar 2006
Age: 44
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,627
Location: scotland

24 Oct 2011, 4:57 pm

ruveyn wrote:
You would prefer to bite the hand that feeds you?

ruveyn



i don't work for a master. i am employed by a non-profit charitable organisation. take that apart and demonstrate how this fact is inconsequential if you want to. but i am not fed by a hand, per se. and if i am, then yes, i do often bite it.


_________________
?Civil government, so far as it is instituted for the security of property, is in reality instituted for the defense of the rich against the poor, or of those who have some property against those who have none at all.?

Adam Smith


ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Age: 82
Gender: Male
Posts: 31,726
Location: New Jersey

24 Oct 2011, 4:59 pm

peebo wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
You would prefer to bite the hand that feeds you?

ruveyn



i don't work for a master. i am employed by a non-profit charitable organisation. take that apart and demonstrate how this fact is inconsequential if you want to. but i am not fed by a hand, per se. and if i am, then yes, i do often bite it.


You are doing honest work. I would never denigrate that.

ruveyn



Joker
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Mar 2011
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,593
Location: North Carolina The Tar Heel State :)

24 Oct 2011, 6:19 pm

spirtualpatterns wrote:
ictus75 wrote:
By their own definition of what a "cult" is, most religions are nothing more than cults. If by "enslave," you mean hold complete power and authority over their followers, then yes, they do enslave the working class. They are the gatekeepers of "heaven" "you can't get in unless you believe and give us your money." And since most churches/religions are built upon an aristocracy, yes, they do enslave the working class and promise them a better reward in the afterlife, if they are good enough.


Christianity is what confuses me the most because it's modern day successor is the exact opposite of what their messiah intended. According to the bible Jesus didn't preach in big mega churches, he preached outside. Jesus also drove the money changers out of the temple, but the modern day Christian church is so very money hungry. That's just one modern day religion for example. 8O


So you think all of us christian's are money hungry? As a christian and a methodist we give money to the poor when to do pass around the collection plate that money goes to the church.

And it helps us raise money to do charity work with in our community the mega churches are often babtist in nature also you will not see to many mega methodist churches they are often very small.



peebo
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Mar 2006
Age: 44
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,627
Location: scotland

25 Oct 2011, 1:20 am

ruveyn wrote:
peebo wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
You would prefer to bite the hand that feeds you?

ruveyn



i don't work for a master. i am employed by a non-profit charitable organisation. take that apart and demonstrate how this fact is inconsequential if you want to. but i am not fed by a hand, per se. and if i am, then yes, i do often bite it.


You are doing honest work. I would never denigrate that.

ruveyn


why, thank you.


_________________
?Civil government, so far as it is instituted for the security of property, is in reality instituted for the defense of the rich against the poor, or of those who have some property against those who have none at all.?

Adam Smith


zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Mar 2009
Age: 51
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,784

25 Oct 2011, 8:10 am

All formal religions have been used by those in power to control those beneath them.

Socialism/Marxism/Communism is the lone exception as religion is outlawed and the state is your god.

Same basic principle, though.

It's not so much the religion (as many faiths predate those who abuse them), but those who have the ability to twist a faith to their own perverse goals.



peebo
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Mar 2006
Age: 44
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,627
Location: scotland

25 Oct 2011, 2:07 pm

zer0netgain wrote:
All formal religions have been used by those in power to control those beneath them.

Socialism/Marxism/Communism is the lone exception as religion is outlawed and the state is your god.

Same basic principle, though.

It's not so much the religion (as many faiths predate those who abuse them), but those who have the ability to twist a faith to their own perverse goals.



you are talking about the state capitalist ideologies that descended from the bastardisation of marxist theory, rather than true Socialism/Marxism/Communism. I am sure i don't have to point out the fact that communism and the existence of a state are mutually exclusive, for instance.


_________________
?Civil government, so far as it is instituted for the security of property, is in reality instituted for the defense of the rich against the poor, or of those who have some property against those who have none at all.?

Adam Smith