Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

mikecartwright
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Oct 2011, 8:09 pm

Does Religion enslave the Working Class by telling Workers to suffer hell on Earth in this life under Capitalism to be promised Heaven in the sky in a Afterlife that has no evidence that it exists many Poor People and Homeless people need the Comfort that Religions gives does anyone agree ?

Religion as Opium of the People

Karl Marx, Religion, and Economics

By Austin Cline, About.com Guide

According to Marx, religion is an expression of material realities and economic injustice. Thus, problems in religion are ultimately problems in society. Religion is not the disease, but merely a symptom. It is used by oppressors to make people feel better about the distress they experience due to being poor and exploited. This is the origin of his comment that religion is the “opium of the masses” — but as shall see, his thoughts are much more complex than commonly portrayed.

http://atheism.about.com/od/philosop...ion/a/marx.htm
Karl Marx on Religion

Is Religion the Opiate of the Masses?

In the above quotation Marx is saying that religion’s purpose is to create illusory fantasies for the poor. Economic realities prevent them from finding true happiness in this life, so religion tells them that this is OK because they will find true happiness in the next life. Although this is a criticism of religion, Marx is not without sympathy: people are in distress and religion provides solace, just as people who are physically injured receive relief from opiate-based drugs.

http://atheism.about.com/od/weeklyquotes/a/marx01.htm
Why Does Religion Exist?

Karl Marx's Analysis of Religion

Third, religion is hypocritical. Although it might profess valuable principles, it sides with the oppressors. Jesus advocated helping the poor, but the Christian church merged with the oppressive Roman state, taking part in the enslavement of people for centuries. In the Middle Ages the Catholic Church preached about heaven, but acquired as much property and power as possible.

http://atheism.about.com/od/philosop...n/a/marx_4.htm

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2011, 8:57 pm

I am a servent to my religion not a slave I am a obedient christian.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2011, 8:57 pm

The problem with the Working Class now is they are not sufficiently "enslaved" which is to say they are not sufficiently employed. If the capitalists stopped exploiting the workers they would all be unemployed.

ruveyn

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2011, 9:00 pm

If the working class fades away the economy will die the rich are to selfish to contribute to anything.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2011, 9:05 pm

Joker wrote:
If the working class fades away the economy will die the rich are to selfish to contribute to anything.

Bill and Melinda gates have contributed over a hundred million dollars for causes they value. Is that nothing?

Andrew Carnegie who came to the U.S. with the clothes on his back, built U.S. Steel into a giant. He used some of his fortune to create 3000 free libraries so that working people could have access to books. Is that nothing?

Look at how many foundations and charities are funded by rich folks. Your complaint is that you don't think they give enough. Right?

ruveyn

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2011, 9:08 pm

The rich do give but all you have me was people from the past that gave not the present.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2011, 10:17 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Andrew Carnegie who came to the U.S. with the clothes on his back, built U.S. Steel into a giant. He used some of his fortune to create 3000 free libraries so that working people could have access to books. Is that nothing?

Technically he created 3000 free libraries so that working class people could lean on their local government to fund the purchase of books so that they might have access to them.

But really it's the Homestead Mill kerfuffle that he should be remembered for.

peebo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2011, 2:07 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Joker wrote:

Bill and Melinda gates have contributed over a hundred million dollars for causes they value. Is that nothing?

Look at how many foundations and charities are funded by rich folks. Your complaint is that you don't think they give enough. Right?

ruveyn

ah, the concessions of the benevolent ruling classes. where would we be without them?

?Civil government, so far as it is instituted for the security of property, is in reality instituted for the defense of the rich against the poor, or of those who have some property against those who have none at all.?

Adam Smith

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2011, 2:11 pm

peebo wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Joker wrote:

ruveyn

ah, the concessions of the benevolent ruling classes. where would we be without them?

:lol: I know right

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2011, 2:23 pm

peebo wrote:

A lot worse off.

ruveyn

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2011, 2:35 pm

In my opinion, religion does not target the working class as "willing servants"; instead, religious leaders target the desperate, the gullible, and the ignorant of all economic classes for the income they provide.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2011, 2:56 pm

Fnord wrote:
In my opinion, religion does not target the working class as "willing servants"; instead, religious leaders target the desperate, the gullible, and the ignorant of all economic classes for the income they provide.

Hmm I think non religious do the same that is my opinon 8)

Last edited by Joker on 19 Oct 2011, 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2011, 2:58 pm

Joker wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Hmm I think Lucifer does the same thing to the non religious that is my opinon 8)

:shrug:

What can I say? Everybody seems to be greedy for more money.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2011, 3:04 pm

mikecartwright wrote:
Third, religion is hypocritical. Although it might profess valuable principles, it sides with the oppressors. Jesus advocated helping the poor, but the Christian church merged with the oppressive Roman state, taking part in the enslavement of people for centuries. In the Middle Ages the Catholic Church preached about heaven, but acquired as much property and power as possible.

And, look at our modern televangelists and Evango-Fascists, who are aligned with the Republican Party.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2011, 3:05 pm

Fnord wrote:
Joker wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Hmm I think Lucifer does the same thing to the non religious that is my opinon 8)

:shrug:

What can I say? Everybody seems to be greedy for more money.

Greed is more then just a love of money :wink:

peebo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2011, 3:07 pm

ruveyn wrote:
peebo wrote:

A lot worse off.

ruveyn

general common sense disagrees.

?Civil government, so far as it is instituted for the security of property, is in reality instituted for the defense of the rich against the poor, or of those who have some property against those who have none at all.?

Adam Smith