Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

22 Oct 2011, 10:22 am

Fnord wrote:
jojobean wrote:
Fnord wrote:
jojobean wrote:
Fnord wrote:
That would be ... lemme see ... PWT-215b ... Uh-oh. Sorry, that planet is interdicted - red zoned. That means there is something about it that poses a clear and immediate threat to human life. What makes it that way is classified, along with the associated gate code.
really?? I cant tell if you are joking or not. Why would a forming planet be an immedate threat to human life??
Joking, with references to both Stargate and Traveller. However, a planet that is still forming is in what's called the Hadean period of it's development. This period is typified by lack of breathable air, a liquid lava surface, and temperatures hot enough to flash-fry organic life. Not to mention the near-constant infall of meteoric debris. Not a fun place to be for at least a several thousand or more years.
Thanks :wink: I wonder if humans could deposit elements that could make it a new earth? joking....hmmm maybe

As I said, organic materials would be destroyed instantly. Thus, any "seeding" would have to be of basic elements, which is already occurring. Plus, the planet seems to be quite a bit larger than Earth. This means more gravity - possibly enough to make human habitation unlikely, if not impossible.

I didnt know that the right amount of gravity plays a role in life as well.
interesting

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2011, 3:25 pm

jojobean wrote:
Fnord wrote:
jojobean wrote:
Fnord wrote:
jojobean wrote:
Fnord wrote:
That would be ... lemme see ... PWT-215b ... Uh-oh. Sorry, that planet is interdicted - red zoned. That means there is something about it that poses a clear and immediate threat to human life. What makes it that way is classified, along with the associated gate code.
really?? I cant tell if you are joking or not. Why would a forming planet be an immedate threat to human life??
Joking, with references to both Stargate and Traveller. However, a planet that is still forming is in what's called the Hadean period of it's development. This period is typified by lack of breathable air, a liquid lava surface, and temperatures hot enough to flash-fry organic life. Not to mention the near-constant infall of meteoric debris. Not a fun place to be for at least a several thousand or more years.
Thanks :wink: I wonder if humans could deposit elements that could make it a new earth? joking....hmmm maybe

As I said, organic materials would be destroyed instantly. Thus, any "seeding" would have to be of basic elements, which is already occurring. Plus, the planet seems to be quite a bit larger than Earth. This means more gravity - possibly enough to make human habitation unlikely, if not impossible.

I didnt know that the right amount of gravity plays a role in life as well.
interesting

I'm not sure that a higher amount of gravity would prevent life from existing there at all. It's just that we would find it hard to live there because we've evolved on Earth and therefore adapted to the gravity here. I think that if any life appeared on an earth-like planet with either more or less gravity than on Earth, then evolution will see to it that it will evolve adapting to that environment.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2011, 3:57 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Tollorin wrote:
Maybe it will turn out to be the right planet for me.

No it won't. You cant get THERE from HERE.

ruveyn

I know... I was not saying that literally.

graywyvern
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2011, 1:35 pm

jojobean wrote:
that is really cool! I wish they would show the actual photograph not an artist rendering of it.

Jojo

http://elenin.paranomalo.us/2011/10/lkc ... ar-system/

reasoning." --William Blake