This '80s revival has GOT TO STOP!

Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2011, 9:36 am

I'm sick of it. All I ever see these days are women wearing all kinds of '80s-inspired clothing. I know that the whole '80s revival thing has been going on for nearly a decade, but it seems to have reached a crescendo by now. Now, women seem to be wearing nothing but '80s clothes. In my opinion, this is only going to make us look like a bunch of copycats who have made absolutely no initiative to be unique in terms of fashion. I'm just surprised that that '80s poofy hair thing hasn't come back, because it might as well. We might as well call this entire era "1980s 2.0."

I just had to get that off my chest. :x

Henbane
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2011, 9:58 am

It's just an echo of the 80s. Caused by nostalgia for a time that didn't really exist.

This has been a cold, hard, start to the century and people want to look back on a period in history they think of as being safer, kinder, more moral, more gentle.

It used to be the 50s that they looked back to. Maybe it's just a new generation looking for the comfort of their childhood and youth.

In reality the 80s weren't all that cosy. Greed, poverty, and intolerance defined that time as much as today.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2011, 10:17 am

I see nothing wrong with people looking back on their childhood years in fondness. However, when people start to think of the years during which they grew up as some kind of "golden age" and take up any opportunity to bash absolutely anything that came out in the past ten years or so, then I begin to think that there's some kind of mass delusion going on.

These days, it seems quite fashionable for Millennials to espouse their questionable "'90s Kid" credentials and subsequently label anything having anything to do with the '00s as bad, sub-par, inferior, etc. I was born in 1991, and while I do have very fond memories of growing up in the '90s and early '00s, that doesn't mean that I'm blind to any bad things that also defined the '90s, nor am I willfully ignorant of any positive things that may have defined the most recent decade.

It's the same thing with elders who reminisce over the '50s, and for that matter, anything pre-sexual revolution. There may have been some good things about the '50s, but there were also many bad things going on then (rampant racism, sexism, extreme prudishness, and other sociological issues).

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2011, 10:52 am

a lot of the 80s fashions were actually a revival of the 1960s fashions, which echoed 1920s/30s fashion, which probably repeated something else... not much is really new but each generation pushes it slightly in a new direction.

Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2011, 11:18 am

I saw a dude sporting a flat-top the other day. :|

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2011, 11:26 am

kids don't know a good decade when they see one.

That is my spot, in an ever changing world, it is a single point of consistency. If my life were expressed as a function on a four dimensional Cartesian coordinate system, that spot, from the moment I first sat on it, would be 0-0-0-0.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

21 Oct 2011, 11:53 am

Dwelling in the past is for those with no future..... :roll:

the_curmudge
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2011, 12:28 pm

Each decade is eventually revived, because each represents the time when a significant number of people came of age, and they are naturally nostalgic about it. And each revival eventually fades just as the original decade did, so there's no sense troubling oneself about it.

I share the dislike of 80s fashions, though I like the music and many of the movies.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2011, 12:31 pm

What 80s revival? :?: (seriously)

The year is still young.

Henbane
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2011, 1:14 pm

It's always the 1980s in my head.

TheMatrixHasYou
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Oct 2011, 1:55 pm

Henbane wrote:

Same. And I wasn't even alive during that decade.
80's music was awesome...which aspie could possibly hate Gary Numan? :D

IDontGetIt
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Oct 2011, 3:50 pm

Society lives in permanent nostalgia. The adults remember it from the first time round and feel all cosy. The kids stupidly think it's something new that their generation discovered, and feel wrongly self satisfied. And the designers don't have to stretch their sub-mediocre imaginations for new ideas, and feel content receiving money for the old rope they are peddling..

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2011, 4:00 pm

What hyperlexian said. This is nothing new. It seems that about 15 years after a decade there is a retro phenomenon. Funny that disco never came back. Not that I'm complaining.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2011, 5:03 pm

That whole 80s revival thing is also driving me crazy. Seeing women wearing nothing but retro 80s clothes bring back painful memories of my own childhood and high school days. I'm sticking with the 60s in my own special way.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2011, 6:04 pm

Descartes wrote:
I see nothing wrong with people looking back on their childhood years in fondness. However, when people start to think of the years during which they grew up as some kind of "golden age" and take up any opportunity to bash absolutely anything that came out in the past ten years or so, then I begin to think that there's some kind of mass delusion going on.

These days, it seems quite fashionable for Millennials to espouse their questionable "'90s Kid" credentials and subsequently label anything having anything to do with the '00s as bad, sub-par, inferior, etc. I was born in 1991, and while I do have very fond memories of growing up in the '90s and early '00s, that doesn't mean that I'm blind to any bad things that also defined the '90s, nor am I willfully ignorant of any positive things that may have defined the most recent decade.

It's the same thing with elders who reminisce over the '50s, and for that matter, anything pre-sexual revolution. There may have been some good things about the '50s, but there were also many bad things going on then (rampant racism, sexism, extreme prudishness, and other sociological issues).

I'm quite old for a millenial and I guess I am a 90s child...but if a song from that era comes on, I get nostalgic for 30 seconds and then it passes. I don't like everything 90s. It's usually the cheesy/crappy stuff that trigger the nostalgia...especially 90s Dance music and Europop.

You get people my age, who were born in the 80s, pretending to remember the 80s. That is, usually, pathetic. My partner has half decent excuse in that he was born in 1980 and actually watched He-Man and Transformers the first time they aired (I watched the reruns as a TODDLER, therefore they shouldn't, and don't, make me too nostalgic). If you're my age though, you don't remember the 80s sufficiently to be nostalgic.

That said, most of the music I listen to was recorded 1958-1990, simply out of preference, rather than nostalgia.

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2011, 6:07 pm

TheMatrixHasYou wrote:
Henbane wrote:

Same. And I wasn't even alive during that decade.

This. I haven't noticed a thing about what people are wearing; not that I care about clothes. It's quite cool if people want to revive it :D