Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

22 Oct 2011, 3:04 am

So, there was a time when I was on an elevator and two pretty-loud party-like girls came aboard and I rolled my eyes. One girl noticed this and said, "Hey, I know what you're thinking. You're thinking "Why do I have to be on the same elevator with two annoying girls?"." and I replied, "How did you know?!". Seriously, I was a bit amazed someone could figure all that out from an eye roll.

There was also a time yesterday when the test proctor who was administering the memory test noticed me giving the "Really?" look when I had already mastered the word associations and she was repeating it again, and she said "This will make more sense later on.".

I wonder if those with autism/aspergers can give off this kind of body language that others (Particularly females) can easily read? Maybe this will be the litmus test that Verdandi claimed to didn't exist! (No offense to you Verdandi, I just really want a litmus test that doesn't cost a grand.)

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2011, 3:12 am

I think people can read me fine. Sometimes they misread me but that happens to everyone right?

But my husband seems to misread me a lot so it makes me wonder how often people actually misread me. I won't know about it unless they do false accusations. Plus lot of times I don't even know how I am feeling so I wouldn't know if I am being misread.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2011, 6:27 am

People have missed my body language cue thingies before. There is a man who gets on my bus and he fancies me. He always comes and sits next to me and chats to me. I know he fancies me, but anyway I won't start going all into detail about all the points as to how he fancies me, because I know people on WP start saying ''how do you know? He might just be friendly. You've probably misinterpreted him.....'' etc etc etc, there's actually a story behind how I know he fancies me, OK? So let's get to the point. Every time he's got onto the bus and found me, I've always rolled my eyes - but not at him. Something else at that precise came has made me roll my eyes, for example once a lot of people hearded onto the bus when he was coming on and I didn't see him, and I rolled my eyes and tutted because of all the people getting on and the bus getting pretty hot and crowded. Then there was another time when I was standing outside Tescos waiting for a friend to come, and about 4 or 5 toddlers were running around near me screaming and shouting and they got on my nerves, so I had a very pissed off look on my face then I tutted and looked up at the sky - just when I saw the man standing in front of me saying, ''hello!'' I tried looking really pleased to see him but inside I thought, ''I hope he didn't think I was tutting at him, being that I looked like I did it on the bus last week.''

But it seems he probably missed it, because he still likes me and says I'm ''a very sweet person''.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2011, 6:35 am

I'm pretty non expressive face-wise. I could be wishing to kill you or make sweet passionate love to you and you probably couldn't tell the difference.

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2011, 6:47 am

I don't have any idea if people can read me but I have been to picnics and places and the only person who would talk to me or approach me is the person I took there-and when I would approach others they would turn away-I may be on the spectrum but that is a pretty sure sign they want nothing to do with you.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2011, 6:50 am

swbluto wrote:
So, there was a time when I was on an elevator and two pretty-loud party-like girls came aboard and I rolled my eyes. One girl noticed this and said, "Hey, I know what you're thinking. You're thinking "Why do I have to be on the same elevator with two annoying girls?"." and I replied, "How did you know?!". Seriously, I was a bit amazed someone could figure all that out from an eye roll.

There was also a time yesterday when the test proctor who was administering the memory test noticed me giving the "Really?" look when I had already mastered the word associations and she was repeating it again, and she said "This will make more sense later on.".

I wonder if those with autism/aspergers can give off this kind of body language that others (Particularly females) can easily read? Maybe this will be the litmus test that Verdandi claimed to didn't exist! (No offense to you Verdandi, I just really want a litmus test that doesn't cost a grand.)

Quote:
Seriously, I was a bit amazed someone could figure all that out from an eye roll.

What other choice could there be for them? Possibly because it is now too crowded, and this sw man rolled his eyes because we are taking up too much space? Certainly, Yes, if you eye rolled without their noisey behavior, if they stepped in as quietly as a mouse, then what other could they possibly think about an :roll: ?

Ashuahhe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2011, 6:56 am

The other day I was waiting with my classmates to get into a gallery, I said something and they took it as sarcasm. I meant to say it as a nice thing! On a seperate occasion I was left on my own for a class speech where we were meant to pair up, I confronted the guy who was supposed to be partners with and he said "you gave the impression you wanted to be on your own. Aren't you happy on your own?" *facepalm*

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2011, 7:10 am

i'm inclined to say 'no' or doubtful.
usually my (female) housemates can see it if i'm not feeling my best, but they interpret it wrongly, explaining fatigue as sadness and a charging overload as a need for companionship...

TB
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2011, 8:22 am

Those are pretty basic and its not strange that people guess your thoughts correctly. They are just generalizing their success from the past onto you, rolling eyes means this or that in 9 out of 10 people so it must be the same for that guy too. People are more often wrong about guessing my thoughts based on body language and are unable to grasp that they might be wrong because they have been right about it with so many other people. People make all kinds of assumptions about me and then state them to my face but they are so wrong, and they will probably never second guess themselves, why should they when their judgements are accurate 90% of the time with other people.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

22 Oct 2011, 8:28 am

Ashuahhe wrote:
The other day I was waiting with my classmates to get into a gallery, I said something and they took it as sarcasm. I meant to say it as a nice thing!

Yep, that happens to me. Some guy on the bus pointed to a spider on my coat and said "Look a spider" and then he suddenly reached for it and squashed it, and I thanked him by saying "Thanks for saving me from the spider!", and then he started defending himself as if I sounded offended. I wondered if I should've tried to convince him otherwise but I didn't see the point and I didn't really want to risk making the situation any more uncomfortable for me (and possibly him.).

I'm totally guessing that's a tone of voice thingy because that sentence doesn't read sarcastically at all... I think?

Last edited by swbluto on 22 Oct 2011, 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2011, 8:35 am

Mdyar wrote:
swbluto wrote:

Quote:
Seriously, I was a bit amazed someone could figure all that out from an eye roll.

What other choice could there be for them? Possibly because it is now too crowded, and this sw man rolled his eyes because we are taking up too much space? Certainly, Yes, if you eye rolled without their noisey behavior, if they stepped in as quietly as a mouse, then what other could they possibly think about an :roll: ?

I don't know. I sometimes have multiple possible choices when I read other people's body language but it seemed uncanny how she could've narrowed it down so effortlessly to the one that was exactly right. It wasn't just a "Oh, look, the elevator had to stop. Uggg...", she was convinced it was the "annoying" part which was right.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

22 Oct 2011, 8:42 am

swbluto wrote:

My therapist (who is a woman) said this to me a couple of months ago:

"I find you extremely difficult to read." HTH! HAND. :D

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2011, 9:04 am

swbluto wrote:
Mdyar wrote:
swbluto wrote:

Quote:

I don't know. I sometimes have multiple possible choices when I read other people's body language but it seemed uncanny how she could've narrowed it down so effortlessly to the one that was exactly right. It wasn't just a "Oh, look, the elevator had to stop. Uggg...", she was convinced it was the "annoying" part which was right.

She could have been wrong. A schizoid could have eye rolled regardless of the circumstances. It was the most probable. But they or no one can mind read.

It's all about gauging the most probable ToM experiences.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2011, 9:36 am

I think others have a hard time reading my body language.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2011, 8:10 pm

As a kid I was labeled as a show off and trying to get attention or think I am better than others.

Before I had a boyfriend, men seem to keep misreading me thinking I didn't like them or something because they wouldn't ask me out or ask for my number or anything. I figured my shyness made them think I didn't like them because I wasn't looking at them or carrying on a conversation with them or because I was giving them short answers.

When I laugh, people act like I could help it and they say "It's not funny" or my husband says "I'm serious." I honestly don't know why I am laughing, it's like a tic and I started to figure out people just choose to laugh and they force it out. But me, it's hard for me to control it. Okay so if people really can control their laughing, then why do they try and hide it? Why would people try not to laugh when they find something funny? Don't they choose to laugh and they can control it right? So why would they have to try not to laugh?

Maybe people do misread me :?

Dots
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2011, 8:15 pm

I have a friend who used to tell me a lot that I rarely had an emotion on my face, and she constantly asked me if I was ok, which wore on me after a while. Yes, I'm ok.

On the other hand, my therapist told me I had a very expressive face. And then when I told her that people usually tell me the opposite, she wondered if she could read me just because she's been trained to read people.

Free speech means the right to shout 'theatre' in a crowded fire.
--Abbie Hoffman