Page 1 of 6 [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

PM
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2011, 6:14 pm

Article

I find it interesting that the news network that strives to help the GOP is actually hurting them.

Thoughts, opinions anyone?

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2011, 6:24 pm

Oh, come on! The fact that a bunch of C-Grade, unelectable, candidates are opting for media positions rather than adding to the clusterf*ck that is the GOP primary is a good thing.

PM
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2011, 6:30 pm

Master_Pedant wrote:
Oh, come on! The fact that a bunch of C-Grade, unelectable, candidates are opting for media positions rather than adding to the clusterf*ck that is the GOP primary is a good thing.

I would agree and tbh, they are smart for doing it. Why settle for a few hundred thousand a year as a politician when you can make millions in the same time frame as a pundit?

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2011, 6:31 pm

Fox News is simply the mouthpiece of the Republican Party, which is owned by Rupert Murdoch, esq.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2011, 2:10 am

Fox news is to right wing Usa as what state television is to North Korea.

Despicable.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2011, 7:17 am

Ichinin wrote:

Despicable.

Fox News has several competitors and no one is compelled to watch it.

ruveyn

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2011, 7:35 am

ruveyn wrote:
Ichinin wrote:

Despicable.

Fox News has several competitors and no one is compelled to watch it.

ruveyn

How this relieves it from being propaganda escapes me.

Their hungry thirsty roots??

http://jakobvirgil.blogspot.com/

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2011, 8:00 am

JakobVirgil wrote:

All news is propaganda of some sort. Why? Because the events are selected out of too many to report and the p.o.v. is determined by the news organization. Sounds like propaganda to me. So the objection is moot since it applies to all news vendors.

ruveyn

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2011, 10:49 am

Unlike legitimate news sources, Fox News deliberately lies and distorts the truth, and has very little credibility or objectivity.

If you look at http://mediamatters.org/

you will find quite a lot of news stories that have been exposed as distortions from across the board. Fox News is one of the biggest violators.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2011, 10:51 am

What ruveyn says is true. But in a way, I'd rather have events covered that do not allow the journalists to voice their opinions (unless they explicitly state that it is their own and not representative of their employer), than have some pundit tell me what to think.

I'll still admit that the selection of events to cover is in itself liable to be compared to propaganda. =/ If anything, I do enjoy our Canadian news network, as what they cover ranges from provincial, to national, to international stuff, and the reporters usually do not comment UNLESS they've been there previously (say, berlin wall era -> contemporary era), or have some relevancy with the subject.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2011, 12:51 pm

ruveyn wrote:
JakobVirgil wrote:

All news is propaganda of some sort. Why? Because the events are selected out of too many to report and the p.o.v. is determined by the news organization. Sounds like propaganda to me. So the objection is moot since it applies to all news vendors.

ruveyn

If you look at this quote from W.E.B. DuBois

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_privilege

Quote:
It must be remembered that the white group of laborers, while they received a low wage, were compensated in part by a sort of public and psychological wage. They were given public deference and titles of courtesy because they were white. They were admitted freely with all classes of white people to public functions, public parks, and the best schools. The police were drawn from their ranks, and the courts, dependent on their votes, treated them with such leniency as to encourage lawlessness. Their vote selected public officials, and while this had small effect upon the economic situation, it had great effect upon their personal treatment and the deference shown them. White schoolhouses were the best in the community, and conspicuously placed, and they cost anywhere from twice to ten times as much per capita as the colored schools. The newspapers specialized on news that flattered the poor whites and almost utterly ignored the Negro except in crime and ridicule.

Fox News has a similar function (flattering "Conservatives" and ridiculing "Liberals").

The Fox News propaganda function is just as blatant.

minervx
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2011, 1:02 pm

No news station/publication is unbiased, but compared to others Fox is pretty fair. The editorials and talk shows are largely conservative, and the articles themselves focus on issues that conservatives pay attention to (CNN did that too; do you think posting an article about Ronald Reagan each week in March was not to court the tea party?). The articles themselves are pretty balanced, and in some ways very liberal.

When Foxnews quoted Palin saying that Obama is too comfortable with the big oil companies, they mentioned reasons why Palin was the favorite of oil companies and not Obama.

Abgal64
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Oct 2011, 1:57 pm

minervx wrote:
No news station/publication is unbiased, but compared to others Fox is pretty fair.
I agree that no news media production is unbiased, there are only less biased ones: This is why I get my news from Aljazeera. Aljazeera has a far more global focus than any major American news production and has far more intelligent coverage than them as well.

Compared to what others? Do you really think that the BBC or Aljazeera are less biased than Fox News?

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2011, 2:15 pm

Bias is a funny thing least biased usually means agrees with me the most.

Their hungry thirsty roots??

http://jakobvirgil.blogspot.com/

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2011, 2:51 pm

Fox News is destroying TV :lol:

minervx
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2011, 3:25 pm

Abgal64 wrote:
minervx wrote:
Compared to what others? Do you really think that the BBC or Aljazeera are less biased than Fox News?

Not at all. :)