Question, whats with all this RPG nonesense?

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

transformingcar
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2011, 11:30 am

I'm not saying all RPG's are bad... but the're just too long, hard, frustrating, and may I add... poorly made with a severe lack of gamplay.
i've played quite a few RPG's myself... and they always make me really mad...

don't even get me started on all the greif the pokemon games have cuased me... next time I see a pikachu I'm chopping it's head in half.
machine guns vs pokemon = I get revenge on those team galatic fools!

As for dragon quest, it's OK but like any RPG it has me going crazy when I try to fight a boss... it forces me to just stand there while some hideous beast sluaghters my allies... I'd much perfer to throw a grenade in it's mouth and watch this Master of nun creep GO BOOM!! !!

Kingdom hearts? more like Micky mouse RPG? thats just not right... not right at all...
and why is everyone so obbsessed with Final fanstasy? think about it! nearly all RPG's are purposly designed to make you go through hours of turnbased battles that give little too no reward. and then when you get to a boss... he's like, 50 levels higher then you!?

I only play an RPG every so often anymore... they can litteraly devour your soul, so I avoid them whenever possible...

now that i've explained just how painfull an RPG can be, I think it's time I get back to some REAL VIDEO GAMES!! !

J-P
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Oct 2011, 12:07 pm

transformingcar wrote:
I'm not saying all RPG's are bad... but the're just too long, hard, frustrating, and may I add... poorly made with a severe lack of gamplay.
i've played quite a few RPG's myself... and they always make me really mad...

don't even get me started on all the greif the pokemon games have cuased me... next time I see a pikachu I'm chopping it's head in half.
machine guns vs pokemon = I get revenge on those team galatic fools!

As for dragon quest, it's OK but like any RPG it has me going crazy when I try to fight a boss... it forces me to just stand there while some hideous beast sluaghters my allies... I'd much perfer to throw a grenade in it's mouth and watch this Master of nun creep GO BOOM!! !!

Kingdom hearts? more like Micky mouse RPG? thats just not right... not right at all...
and why is everyone so obbsessed with Final fanstasy? think about it! nearly all RPG's are purposly designed to make you go through hours of turnbased battles that give little too no reward. and then when you get to a boss... he's like, 50 levels higher then you!?

I only play an RPG every so often anymore... they can litteraly devour your soul, so I avoid them whenever possible...

now that i've explained just how painfull an RPG can be, I think it's time I get back to some REAL VIDEO GAMES!! !

FPS is not better. They are created to shoot everywhere for compense they lack of intelligence and they complex about they little penis

Soliloquist
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Oct 2011, 12:34 pm

Thought this topic was going to be about Rocket Propelled Grenades.

Bit of a let down.

Soliloquist
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Oct 2011, 12:35 pm

Thought this topic was going to be about Rocket Propelled Grenades.

Bit of a let down.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2011, 1:33 pm

they provide complexity and a sytem to bend to ones rule,
what is there not to want for a brooding megalomaniac? :lol:

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

transformingcar
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2011, 1:36 pm

Quote:
FPS is not better. They are created to shoot everywhere for compense they lack of intelligence and they complex about they little

That statement severly lacks intlellegence... besides shooting, why not try something a little more, creative? I Play just about every kind of video game there could be, like I said not all RPG"s are bad... but they are all excessivly difficult, and teidious. you get the picture...

RPG = painful hours of frustration. little to no reward, apsoultly NOT replayable.
FPS = plenty of action, gameplay get better as more players join a battle. FPS suffers only when people cheat.

I beat a few Pokemon games once... tried to replay them... it was hororifieing to go threw all that work a second time...

I used to like RPG's... until they began to kill my self esteem. here that! pokemon attacked my brain with endless dead ends...

now if only Ash and his pikachu would give up on all their goody goody happy happy cheerfull lunucy... and learn that life isn't like that.
Life nothing but suffering... so I say, make the pokemon suffer!! !! maybe then they'll make a decent video game...

Kenn_San
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Oct 2011, 2:11 pm

I'm definitely sensing a LOT of bias in this thread. I'm definitely not going to throw my opinions on the table as I certainly think that mine are more than likely to be biased too. It's as simple as this, everyone has their own tastes - if you're wanting to pull your hair out over RPG's - I'm pretty sure it means nothing more than they don't appeal to you. I mean for example, if you really didn't like romance films, would you try and watch them? No, you'd leave them to the side and stick to what you're interested in.

I must admit I'm into RPG's (unfortunately don't really have too much time to spend on them) and not really to into FPS games - I'm not saying I hate them, they're just not my flavor, and because of that I just stick with what I actually enjoy. If people like FPS' that's great for them, it's just not what I'm in to.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2011, 2:30 pm

I like rpgs and hate fps games.

I like rpgs because I like grinding levels and collecting items.

I don't like fps games because I don't like twitch gaming, can't do it, and those kinds of games are more likely to be the kind that give me motion sickness.

Synecdoche
Toucan
Toucan

23 Oct 2011, 3:28 pm

OP, I think you mean JRPG's.

I'm a huge fan of old school JRPG's but have lost interest in the advent of the JPop, cliche ridden, preachy plotlines (the plot being an integral part of the JRPG), that many JRPG's possess today. Not that there's anything wrong about that or if you enjoy those games but it's catered towards a younger generation. Whereas many Western games (particularly the cliche FPS games) and Western RPG's are aimed towards people my age. I am able to resonate within the realms of these games more so than Japanese games.

I think you just have to try out more RPG's and wait until there are more games that cater towards your taste come out.

Try out Dark Souls and then come back to us with how you feel.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2011, 4:27 pm

Or give the Mass Effect series a shot. Or, if you can still find a copy, the Knights of the Old Republic games. (For that matter, maybe you'd be willing to toss cash at Atari for a copy of Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines, and let us know for sure if it's compatible with Win 7...)

All of those are superior games, which leave open the possibility for true role-playing (with the Mass Effect games, you're not even restricted to being either Paragon or Renegade - earning points in one status doesn't change your level in the other. There's a glitch in the first game, in your conversation with Lorik Qin on Noveria, where it's possible to top out both meters, opening up every possible conversational option in the game). Be warned, though, that playing a Malkavian can be a bit of a mind-frak in Bloodlines; the Malks are insane to start with, so you might well find yourself getting into an intense argument with a stop sign...

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

23 Oct 2011, 4:38 pm

I like twitch FPS's. I like many JRPG's and Western RPG's. A great way to experience a FPS RPG all-in-one is to play Fallout 3.

Thebigrage
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Oct 2011, 6:48 pm

HOLD IT what RPGs have you played cause most now are non turnbased take Skyrim thats live action so is DCUO so your logic is not sound.

Ravenitrius
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2011, 6:54 pm

DeaconBlues wrote:
Or give the Mass Effect series a shot. Or, if you can still find a copy, the Knights of the Old Republic games. (For that matter, maybe you'd be willing to toss cash at Atari for a copy of Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines, and let us know for sure if it's compatible with Win 7...)

All of those are superior games, which leave open the possibility for true role-playing (with the Mass Effect games, you're not even restricted to being either Paragon or Renegade - earning points in one status doesn't change your level in the other. There's a glitch in the first game, in your conversation with Lorik Qin on Noveria, where it's possible to top out both meters, opening up every possible conversational option in the game). Be warned, though, that playing a Malkavian can be a bit of a mind-frak in Bloodlines; the Malks are insane to start with, so you might well find yourself getting into an intense argument with a stop sign...

Mostly available at either GOG, Steam, Direct2Drive or "Gamestop's Impulse"

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2011, 7:52 pm

DeaconBlues wrote:

mass effect is a shoter with rpg elements, it might be a very good fit.

this is in no way to detract from the experience,
the story telling, influence on teh story and the seamless combat and varied abilities (though not that many) make for a very fun experience.
iit ranks close to knights of the old republic in my books.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

Jetfox
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2011, 9:55 pm

i am another rpg fan, mainly because i like games with a decent single player mode, which games of late have almost none. all this online crap getting fed into our games really gets me.

bosses are 50 levels higher, O_o. if that was the case i wouldn't have been able to get far in ff7. also i don't think you've played many rpgs, ff7 is freaking easy, same with kingdom hearts 1 and 2, xenosaga is the hardest series i've come to. 1 is the easiest but some bosses wipe you out of the blue [i like it cause it really keeps you alert] 2 is a bit tricky memorizing all the hit points and getting combos down is a pain, and most bosses require the best strategy you've got, 3 is in the middle enemies aren't much but most bosses are wicked.

but if rpgs cause you so much stress why do you keep playing them. i play rpgs because i like them and because i suck at action games in general.

and you critic other rpgs for being turn based, and then you whine about kingdom hearts and it is more action based. i may be mad at square for driving the kh story into a damn hole in the last few games but that does not remove it from my list of games i enjoy. what's so bad about mickey?

i tend more toward jrpgs because the western ones run like crap on my computer [dragon age i'm looking at you] heck i even had problems with dragon age on my ps3, the first and only game that had lagging issues on any console i own. and i mean like mmo type of lag.

P_James_Moriarty
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Oct 2011, 10:50 pm

You've really got to be kidding there. I played Oblivion (The Elder Scrolls IV) for about 3 years solid, first going through the game as a new player (rather lost) then many times as different types of characters (fighters, casters, vampires, etc.), then started using the moding tools to change whatever I wanted. From the contents of chests to the very landscape itself, I could change anything I wanted. Make a castle? No problem. Make a new mountain with dugeon/cave in it,and program a complete quest line with audio clips of my own for the characters? No sweat. Just a little time and I could create whatever kind of world I wanted and play it over and over as whatever I wanted, no turns with anyone else.

Beyond that, proffesional video gamers (writers) rate video games for yes, graphics, story, and among other things, replayabillity. The RPG class of games are acknowledged almost universally by these folks as superior for replayabillity simply because they are RPGs.

As to the graphics not being up to spec or the fights not being engaging enough, do a search for the E3 Skyrim demo (21 min.) and watch it through to the dragon fight at the end, then try to complain about RPG graphics.

Now I've pre-ordered the collectors edition of Skyrim (The Elder Scrolls V) and know going in that I will do the same thing with it. Moding tools will be there again. After playing video games literally since the invention of Pong, Skyrim will represent to me the apex of video game development to date, and it's an RPG.