Aspies having a sense of humor about having aspergers?

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ScientistOfSound
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2011, 8:42 am

I make fun of my autism all the time. Better laughing than crying about it, in my opinion at least.

gadge
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2011, 9:05 am

Wayne wrote:
When I see one in the wild, I like to just say "ping", as in "this person is pinging my aspie-radar".

:lmao: I'm gonna start "pinging" outloud, what would the proper response be? "ding"?

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

24 Oct 2011, 9:29 am

My family gets a kick out of using the spoofy names.

Sibyl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2011, 11:30 am

ScientistOfSound wrote:
I make fun of my autism all the time. Better laughing than crying about it, in my opinion at least.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This, for sure!

That said, I just don't like scatological and anatomical word-play: that's MEAN fun, like what the bullies do.

Most of the folks in the "You might be an Aspie if..." thread seem to have the light touch.

BTW, "Asparagus" does come from the same Latin word: the plant looks like ferns when it's matured past the "spear" shoots stage that we eat, and the "Sprinkling" in the Mass was done with Holy Water and sprigs of a herb called hyssop, that resembled mature asparagus, and was thought to purify things. I'd much rather think Asparagus than thinking the word play that the (eighth grader?) who started this thread thinks of as "humor". I think of the purification in my sig line, a quotation from the Latin Mass.

Num 19:18 And a clean person shall take hyssop, and dip [it] in the water, and sprinkle [it] upon the tent, and upon all the vessels, and upon the persons that were there, and upon him that touched a bone, or one slain, or one dead, or a grave:

Psa 51:7 Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.

There's a blessing in it. And there's a blessing in Asperger's, as well as the less-fun things.

Sibyl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2011, 11:33 am

VMSmith wrote:
i joke about it in my head all the time. asparagus disease- my sister called it that because that is what she actually thinks it is called so now i say it in my head becasue shes an idiot and it makes me laugh. apparently she looked the symptoms of asparagus disease up too. i wonder what she got that could explain my behaviour. plus when i do certain things i'll make autistic jibes to myself.

I grok.

babybuggy32
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Oct 2011, 11:51 am

aspie48 wrote:
i called my aspergers class an anal cookout once.

i am now laughing uncontrollably and scraming at the top of my lungs!! !! these are triggers for my attacks haha

Sibyl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2011, 12:12 pm

That "asperging" action with the Holy Water and the greens is done sometimes in Episcopalian Solemn Liturgies, too. I heard of one Bishop who covered a Super Shooter squirt gun with greenery, loaded it with Holy Water, and used it. That way he could get the whole congregation with one trip down the aisle!

He had to have had a sense of humor, though, to actually _do_ it.

(There is an implement, often made of silver, especially for such occasions in the Mass. I don't know whether those who use it add greenery or not. It's called an aspergillum. Look it up on Google Images)

Maybe one of Dr. Asperger's ancestors was a Church functionary who did the asperging instead of the bishop. Or maybe he was a farmer who grew Asparagus.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2011, 12:12 pm

I have called it the vegetable syndrome. I have also said if you eat too much asparagus, you will get Asperger's and there is a department store called Herbergers and I say it gives you Asperger's. The name just makes me think of the condition, same as asparagus.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Oct 2011, 12:18 pm

Sometimes I tell people what Asperger's is in this way:

My wife came home from the grocery store with her arms overflowing with grocery sacks as she tried to make her way to the kitchen pantry. She kept clearing her throat and making these odd gestures at me with her arms. So I got her a cough drop.

NZaspiegirl016
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Oct 2011, 11:29 pm

sMeow wrote:
In French, "Asperge"r means asparagus too (but the pronunciation is very different anw without "r", of course). It's not really funny. I don't like to joke about this.

Yes, and also in French, "Asperger" means spray. Ahs-per-jay is the French pronunciation. Put an "s" on the end and you get Aspergers. In French and English!

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2011, 3:13 am

I think a sense of humour about having autism (or in my case the Tourettes and ADHD as well) can actually make things feel better. My friend calls it 'beef burger syndrome' and if she does something silly will say 'oops that was my beef burgers!'. My other friend jokes that we should act more like the DSM IV criteria otherwise we might 'lose our funding'. Whenever he or I act very Aspie, he tells the staff 'we're just securing our funding!' I personally don't really get the 'ass burgers' joke but that is because most people pronounce it differently in the UK. In UK english, pronouncing the name Asperger in the correct German way would sound rude!