Subconsciously trying to fit in - A sign of having NS?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

23 Oct 2011, 10:55 pm

So NS stands for Neurotypical Syndrome. Is someone who's unconsciously fitting in and adapting to their environment a sign of NS?

I'm asking because I noticed I adopted a "My Little Pony" avatar because originally I thought it looked cute and maybe it'd be a little "weird" but I don't actually like "My Little Pony". After investigating my motives a little more, it's probably because ganondox has one and because he said everyone is doing it and I noticed that there were a lot of "My Little Pony" avatars around the forum, so I was probably actually doing it because of the subconscious reason of "wanting to fit in".

Is this a sign of having NS?

Last edited by swbluto on 23 Oct 2011, 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Uhura
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Oct 2011, 11:03 pm

Sounds like you analyze yourself and decisions as much as I do. I can't answer your question but remember, sometimes it is ok to just like something. I struggle with telling myself that it is ok to just not like something.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2011, 11:11 pm

Yes, subconsciously or consciously wanting to fit in is a symptom of NS. NS is like an infectious disease that is spread to normal healthy autistic children when normal healthy autistic children start to notice the existence of the collective and its assorted components. Normal healthy autistic children do not have the conscious or subconscious desire to fit in. Normal healthy autistic children have no farking clue what fitting in is. It is only when NS infects normal healthy autistic children that normal healthy autistic children begin to internalize these abnormal unhealthy brain broccoli to exhibit the abnormal unhealthy symptoms of wanting to fit in, consciously and subconsciously. But no worries, the formerly normal healthy autistic children who have been con(per?)verted into currently abnormal unhealthy autistic adults will never experience total broccolization of the brain, so these abnormal unhealthy autistic adults will never exhibit the symptoms to a clinically significant level to be diagnosed with NS.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

23 Oct 2011, 11:14 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
Yes, subconsciously or consciously wanting to fit in is a symptom of NS. NS is like an infectious disease that is spread to normal healthy autistic children when normal healthy autistic children start to notice the existence of the collective and its assorted components. Normal healthy autistic children do not have the conscious or subconscious desire to fit in. Normal healthy autistic children have no farking clue what fitting in is. It is only when NS infects normal healthy autistic children that normal healthy autistic children begin to internalize these abnormal unhealthy brain broccoli to exhibit the abnormal unhealthy symptoms of wanting to fit in, consciously and subconsciously. But no worries, the formerly normal healthy autistic children who have been con(per?)verted into currently abnormal unhealthy autistic adults will never experience total broccolization of the brain, so these abnormal unhealthy autistic adults will never exhibit the symptoms to a clinically significant level to be diagnosed with NS.

So at best (or worst...), I'm an unhealthy autistic adult. Yeah!

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2011, 11:20 pm

swbluto wrote:
btbnnyr wrote:

So at best (or worst...), I'm an unhealthy autistic adult. Yeah!

Yep, that's eggsacly it. I used to be a normal healthy autistic child, but now, my brain has been some small percentage broccolized, so I am an abnormal unhealthy autistic adult.

I am not worried about further broccolization, nor should anyone else, as the rate of broccolization in autistic adulthood is very slow and it is highly unlikely that the halfling dial on the brocco-meter will be crossed before death.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2011, 11:27 pm

btbnnyr wrote:

I am not worried about further broccolization, nor should anyone else, as the rate of broccolization in autistic adulthood is very slow and it is highly unlikely that the halfling dial on the brocco-meter will be crossed before death.

My observations of the research corroborates your claim about broccolization rates, as the development of associated broccoli metrics like ToM as measured by the Sally Anne test and other second and third order ToM tasks does suggest a definite but slower rate of broccolization. There's still an open question in the field whether or not full-broccoli heads peak at some age or become even more broccolized as they become adults, so it might be possible that full broccoli heads are standing still while normal autistic children are slowly but surely becoming indistinguishable from ordinary broccoli heads as adults. Those who were born with half-broccolization at birth are possibly indistinguishable from fully-broccolized adults as adults.

Sibyl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2011, 11:44 pm

I don't think either of you is going to have to worry about ever fitting in anywhere but Wrong Planet.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2011, 11:45 pm

swbluto wrote:
btbnnyr wrote:

My observations of the research corroborates your claim about broccolization rates, as the development of associated broccoli metrics like ToM as measured by the Sally Anne test and other second and third order ToM tasks does suggest a definite but slower rate of broccolization. There's still an open question in the field whether or not full-broccoli heads peak at some age or become even more broccolized as they become adults, so it might be possible that full broccoli heads are standing still while normal autistic children are slowly but surely becoming indistinguishable from ordinary broccoli heads as adults. Those who were born with half-broccolization at birth are possibly indistinguishable from fully-broccolized adults as adults.

This is why those autistic adults who are only partially-broccolized must collaborate with their robot overlords to help their fully-broccolized brethren and sisters of some sisterhood of some kind of pants. Through a intensive course of caulifloration, the fully-broccolized may be rehabilitated back to a normaler healthier state of broccofloration. Organizations should be founded to effectorize this ABA program, lest the broccolization con(per)verts more of the brethren and sisters of some sisterhood of some kind of pants. In that doomsday scenario, the fully-broccolized will become so forest green that they will be able to see themselves inspite of their florets.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2011, 11:49 pm

Normal healthy autistic child:

Broccoflorated autistic adult:

Broccolized autistic adult:

NS sufferers:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2011, 4:58 am

swbluto wrote:
So NS stands for Neurotypical Syndrome. Is someone who's unconsciously fitting in and adapting to their environment a sign of NS?

I'm asking because I noticed I adopted a "My Little Pony" avatar because originally I thought it looked cute and maybe it'd be a little "weird" but I don't actually like "My Little Pony". After investigating my motives a little more, it's probably because ganondox has one and because he said everyone is doing it and I noticed that there were a lot of "My Little Pony" avatars around the forum, so I was probably actually doing it because of the subconscious reason of "wanting to fit in".

Personally, I am obstinate about not doing what everybody else is doing if what they are doing is only a symbol of inclusion to a group and has no inherent value otherwise, even if it's just harmless fun.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2011, 5:37 am

swbluto wrote:

I'd say not. I'm sure lots of Aspies have some kind of desire for approval, and that they aren't all particularly aware of it. I myself usually have to deduce my wish to fit in, because consciously the first thing I think is likely to be "What, fit in with those jerks? Not bloody likely!" It's only when I look at certain aspects of my behaviour that I see how much other people's opinions matter to me. For example, if I don't care what they think of me, why do I feel so scared of making a social blunder that I have to get away from them? If I truly didn't want to fit in, I'd be quite content to upset them....they would be mere objects to me. But that doesn't mean I'm neurotypical.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2011, 5:57 am

btbnnyr wrote:
Normal healthy autistic child:

Broccoflorated autistic adult:

Broccolized autistic adult:

NS sufferers:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

:lol:

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2011, 5:59 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
swbluto wrote:

I'd say not. I'm sure lots of Aspies have some kind of desire for approval, and that they aren't all particularly aware of it. I myself usually have to deduce my wish to fit in, because consciously the first thing I think is likely to be "What, fit in with those jerks? Not bloody likely!" It's only when I look at certain aspects of my behaviour that I see how much other people's opinions matter to me. For example, if I don't care what they think of me, why do I feel so scared of making a social blunder that I have to get away from them? If I truly didn't want to fit in, I'd be quite content to upset them....they would be mere objects to me. But that doesn't mean I'm neurotypical.

We all want the good chemicals and not the bad ones.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2011, 10:11 am

swbluto wrote:

In line with TD.

A hyperbole here, but there isn't anyone on earth that enjoys being misunderstood or mistreated for being different.

Say, if you found an attractive gal, you will try to fit in to it in someway.

Within reason, as 'getting what you want;' without misunderstandings, and moving up in the job market without a glitch, would indicate or be the earmark of a neurotypical syndrome.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2011, 10:55 am

This topic just made my day (and now I'll be running late). btbnnyr's post is simply awesome.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2011, 10:29 pm

Thanks to all who responded! I'm eager to hear more insights or opinions! :D