Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

GreySun369
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2011, 9:53 am

This is a question for people who like to watch Japanese animation. Out of all the anime you have watched, which are your top three favorites? Here is my list:

1. Sailor Moon: This was the first anime I had ever watched as a kid (at the time I didn't even know what anime was, I just thought it was another cartoon). I love this show because it's about a bunch of pretty teenage girls who transform into super heroes through beautifully-drawn transformation scenes and they fight the badguys with magic powers. I also like the fact that the heroine was somebody so pure and innocent and didn't have an evil bone in her body.

2. Pet Shop of Horrors: This was an OVA my friend introduced me to and I watched all four episodes on YouTube (I'm hoping to get the show on DVD some day). Pet Shop of Horrors is really weird and creepy but at the same time drawn very well and has some nice artwork. Since I'm big on mythology I like how each episode features a cursed monster pet who gets purchased by a customer who has no idea what responsability comes from owning one of these creatures. My favorite episode is probably the one with the mermaid.

3. Trigun: I used to watch this anime on Adult Swim and I perferred it over Cowboy Bebop. It was the only action anime I had ever seen where I didn't get the feeling that the protagonist was a complete sociopath who enjoyed killing everything. I liked how the main character Vash the Stampede could be very powerful but was as soft and tender hearted as a teddy bear and refused to ever kill anybody with his gun. I liked how he avoided violence and the way he seemed like a genuinely nice guy who was kind of goofy at times.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2011, 12:27 pm

1. Steins;Gate - This series is about an 18-year- old self-proclaimed mad scientist named Rintaro Okabe (or as he likes to be called, Kyoma Hooin) and his group of friends who discover that they have created a time machine using a microwave and a cell phone. They can send text messages to the past in order to alter the present and future. I like this series because it is really intense and dramatic, and at times touching. I cried a couple of times while watching it. The first episode was kind of confusing, and the plot takes a couple of episodes to pick up pace. But before I knew it, I was hooked on it and couldn't wait to see the final episode.

2. Puella Magi Madoka Magica - This series starts off seeming like a typical magical girl story: Madoka and her best friend Sayaka come across a cat-like being called Kyubey who offers to grant their one wish and turn them into magical girls. They meet a magical girl named Mami who wants Madoka to become a magical girl too, but a new transfer student named Homura keeps trying to prevent Madoka from becoming one. However, this series is not what it appears to be at first, which becomes startlingly apparent at the end of episode 3, and pretty much every other episode reveals something shocking about the story. I like this series because, like Steins;Gate, it is intense and dramatic. You come to really feel sorry for the characters.

3. Tiger & Bunny - This series takes place in a futuristic New York-like city called Sternbild, where superpowered humans called NEXT become superheroes and fight crime while being filmed on a reality TV show called Hero TV. The main plot focuses on veteran hero Kotetsu T Kaburagi, aka "Wild Tiger", whose sponsor company folds, forcing him to become part of another company. When he joins this company, he is forced to become part of the first superhero team-up alongside a handsome rookie named Barnaby Brooks Jr. This story is much less tragic than SteinsGate or Madoka Magica, but it still has its fair share of drama and plot twists. This series is full of likable characters (Kotetsu is a particular favorite among fans, myself included) and beautiful animation. I really came to care for all of the characters, and whenever they were in serious danger, I was on the edge of my seat waiting to see if they would be OK.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

24 Oct 2011, 3:35 pm

MOON PRISM POWER MAKE-UP!! !

Darialan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Oct 2011, 3:44 pm

1. Clannad: All of it. I haven't seen the movie yet, though. I love emotional animes. It's kinda my way of letting out my emotions that I normally don't irl. I can't cry for someone else. I'm clueless that way. Sort of a normal aspie thing, but I feel it's a cleansing of the soul to cry at animes like Clannad.

2. Fullmetal Alchemist: I like both series, but I like the new one a bit better. Truly an excellent story. Characters you care about. Adventure. Fantasy. Great. Suspense, too.

3. Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne: This was a really cool anime that spanned a few lifetimes. It's about immortals. Two mainly. And they're like hired detectives. The story is really good, but I really wish that there were more than just (I think it was 6) episodes that were probably 40-45 minutes long. Be warned. This anime has a lot of yuri sex in it. It's listed as MA, but not X or NC-17, but I have to say it borders on hentai at times. Thought there is a lot of hentai-ish things in it, that's not the main draw and it's sort of used in the context of the story, which takes up more than just the dirty bits.

Simmian7
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2011, 4:59 pm

Blood+

My Hime/Otome

RahXephon

It's like someone's calling out to me. Writing it all down...it's like I'm calling back to them.
(quote from August Rush; but used as a reference to my writing)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
My ASD AQ score is 42
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
#DemandCartoonDiversity

DarrylZero
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2011, 10:17 pm

I don't know if these are my top 3, but they are the first 3 to come to mind:

Ghost in the Shell

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust

Tokko

GreySun369
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2011, 10:32 pm

SyphonFilter wrote:

My favorite transformation scenes are actually those of the Outer Senshi and Starlights. :P

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6CthEj9e_g&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH0jfaE4s88[/youtube]

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2011, 11:59 pm

Berserk

Gantz

Kaiji

The manga's usually better though.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2011, 7:10 am

1. Hayate the Combat Butler - Hayate Ayasaki has amazing skills from cooking, to being able to ride a bike faster than a car, unfortuantly he is also incredibly unlucky, lets just say that his parents use him to pay off a very large debt to the yakuza. Through a string of events he ends up as a butler, which basically requires being a super hero, and lots of funny events. It is one of the funiest series I have seen, it may have some things which are rather sad, but is mixed up with satire, and breaking the fourth wall. The sheer amount of parodies of other anime makes it worth it.

2. Kanon 2006 - Yuuichi moves in with his aunt and cousin who live in da town he has not been to in years, and that for some reason he does not remember, and not everything is as it seems.. One of my first romance anime, and still one of my favorite, it is both very emotional, and and funny. There are a few others similarly done from Key, but Kanon is still my favorite. One of the things I love is the main character who not only helps and charms his the girls, but also picks on them for his own joy.

3. Fairy Tail - My favorite long running shounen fighting series, I have seen shows like Naruto and Bleach, and both of them run into huge anoying fillers, and staring at a person in slow motion as they have extensive inner monologues and flash backs of flashbacks. Fairy Tail has rarely if ever really fallen into it, unlike others the actual main character is more of the common sense character instead of the fighter. Some of the girls the series are also pretty tough.

Beaux
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Oct 2011, 9:04 pm

I'm still very new to anime so I haven't seen much, but out of what I've seen...

1.) Neon Genesis Evangelion: If you found the ending confusing, then researching postmodern existentialism may help clear up some of the metaphors and lessons. Heck, look into existentialism before watching the series. If existentialism sounds pretentious and hypocritical then you'll hate this series with a passion. Oh, and its loaded with angst. But, if you enjoy angsty anime with existentialist themes, this is a flawed masterpiece.

2.) Gundam: While the shows may very in quality, I'm a sucker for giant robots. I've recently started building model kits and have currently completed an HG Val Walo and an HG Char Zaku along with an SD inspired by some famous Japanese samurai or something. I started off with 08th MS Team, but went back to the original (0079) halfway through for context, and I'm also slowly and irregularly watching Wing and 00. Its a really diverse show! :D

3.) I don't know... I haven't watched enough of any other shows to place another anime here. Cowboy Bebop seems impressive from the first episode and Azumanga Daioh is hilarious, but Trigun is really fun and I hear that it gets introspective later on! But Sgt. Frog is a wonderfully fast-paced alternative to Azumanga Daioh and Fullmetal Alchemist captures pretty much every emotion into one show! I'll just have to see where all these go before I can decide.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

28 Oct 2011, 2:59 pm

GreySun369 wrote:
SyphonFilter wrote:

My favorite transformation scenes are actually those of the Outer Senshi and Starlights. :P

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6CthEj9e_g&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH0jfaE4s88[/youtube]
How does the Starlight transformations work? One second they're guys, the next second they've transformed into women. Talk about a sex change!

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2011, 7:47 pm

SyphonFilter wrote:
How does the Starlight transformations work? One second they're guys, the next second they've transformed into women. Talk about a sex change!
Perhaps it is something like from Kore wa Zombie Desu ka.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej22p00ec-c[/youtube]

Prisonic_Fairytale
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Oct 2011, 2:11 pm

1. Serial Experiments Lain

2. Akira

3. Death Note

DialAForAwesome
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2011, 7:08 pm

In my case (and this is hard because I love tons of anime) I have to say:

1. The Slayers
2. Dirty Pair (sounds perverted but it isn't. Seriously. :oops: )
3. Silent Mobius

Outside of these, some of my other favorites are Yu Yu Hakusho (I like the animation, soundtrack, and voices), Gundam 0079, Ninku, Flame of Recca (though I like the manga more), Baki the Grappler, Hunter X Hunter, Black Heaven/Kacho Ouji, Bastard!, the original Dragon Ball series, Azumanga Daioh, Now and Then, Here and There, Violence Jack, Ashita no Joe......

GreySun369
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2011, 8:08 am

A friend of mine is giving me volume one of Azumanga Daioh for X-mas. I had never actually watched the anime except for a few scenes he showed me on YouTube, but it seems really funny. The girls on the show seem really cute too, I think Chiyo is adorable.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2011, 8:19 am

Anime series I found to be entertaining:

Matantei Loki Ragnarok

Nurarihyon no Mago

Death Note