Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2011, 11:08 am

Where you think you're Swedish?

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Oct 2011, 11:11 am

Thank you for clarifying. To answer the OP---No, I don't think I will develop that.

Pinnygig
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Oct 2011, 11:14 am

Not unless I happened to be kidnapped and held in captivity... :lol:

Your Aspie score: 148 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 55 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

If I'm not Aspie then who the hell is??? :lol:

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2011, 12:22 pm

Stockholm syndrome is where the victim gets kidnapped and he or she falls in love with the kidnapper.

A BS condition IMO because I think it's absurd to make it a condition. There is even a thing called Lima syndrome where the bad guy falls in love with someone who they took as their hostage. Also ridiculous just like Cassandra Effective Disorder. Let's give abusive relationships a name too and have it be a condition. :roll:

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2011, 12:54 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Stockholm syndrome is where the victim gets kidnapped and he or she falls in love with the kidnapper.

A BS condition IMO because I think it's absurd to make it a condition. There is even a thing called Lima syndrome where the bad guy falls in love with someone who they took as their hostage. Also ridiculous just like Cassandra Effective Disorder. Let's give abusive relationships a name too and have it be a condition. :roll:
im not sure if it exactly means falling in love romanticly.i could be a subconcious survival instinct as well.or in the patty hurst case it was more about the political cause than love or romance

Pinnygig
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Oct 2011, 12:59 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

im not sure if it exactly means falling in love romanticly.i could be a subconcious survival instinct as well.or in the patty hurst case it was more about the political cause than love or romance

No I think Stockholm Syndrome is generally defined as sympathising with your captor - nothing romantic implied :)

Your Aspie score: 148 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 55 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

If I'm not Aspie then who the hell is??? :lol:

xmh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Oct 2011, 1:06 pm

The human mind works in strange ways (especially in the sense of emotion).

Given that people often defend their abusive partners, feeling emotion for somebody holding you hostage is just an extension of this.

----
[A flippant definition would be the emotional state that you reach mid way through a trip to IKEA, maybe that is why people spend so much there]

K-R-X
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Oct 2011, 1:09 pm

I really think I would be immune, just considering my lack of emotional attachment to figures its widely accepted that you should feel something toward.

EXPECIALLY
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2011, 1:21 pm

K-R-X wrote:
I really think I would be immune, just considering my lack of emotional attachment to figures its widely accepted that you should feel something toward.

Same.

xmh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Oct 2011, 1:36 pm

I don't really know why I become emotionally attached to certain people, so it is possible that I could develop it.

twich
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Oct 2011, 2:23 pm

It has nothing to do with love, it's being able to relate to your abuser, to sympathize, believe their lies (there are too many to list) and to not want to leave. Typically it's not something that happens in the normal abusive relationship, that's something different, Stockholm syndrome refers to kidnappers and their victims.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2011, 4:06 pm

I could imagine it happening to me.

I remember reading something about it, some book or web sites, I don't remember what. It tried to explain it as a survival mechanism that evolved from back when primitave people would raid each other's camps and steal women and stuff.

If you have no way to escape getting in good with your captor can increase your chance of survival.

Taupey
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2011, 4:40 pm

EXPECIALLY wrote:
Do you think you could ever develop it?
Yes.

Your Aspie score: 167 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 35 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2011, 5:51 pm

I have no clue if I could develop it. Unless you've been kidnapped or something similar, you can't really say either way.

I do wonder to what extent Stockholm Syndrome is something pathological, and to what extent it's simply recognizing that sometimes extremists do actually have good causes even if their methods aren't the best. And that the guys who kidnapped you are first and foremost people rather than faceless monsters.