Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

nikaTheJellyfish
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Oct 2011, 8:48 pm

So I was diagnosed as Asperger's a few weeks ago (it's been long suspected but my mother wouldn't let them test me as a child, I'm mid-20's now). I have also been diagnosed with eating disorder- not otherwise specified. Part of the issue though I realized was that I need something in my mouth ALL THE TIME. There were times where I knew I wasn't hungry or even felt sick but needed the sensation of having something in my mouth. I am not really overweight- just need hard candy or something 95% of the time I am awake and not at work. I chew on pencils, erasers, etc. I am usually very hypersentivie to touch, sounds, lights, etc. The exception seems to be oral stimulation. So i ordered some of the autism chew sticks from the website. Basically they are rubber tubes with texture. So it works.... No need to have something edible in my mouth for hours now... I'm so happy I found something that works. Sure, I don't think a lot of adults use these, but who cares? So far it is working to curb the addiction of having something like candy, pencils, pens, etc in my mouth. Has anyone else tried this? Does this even make sense? Thanks!

nika

twich
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Oct 2011, 12:52 am

Hmm, I wonder why they didn't decide this oral fixation was a stim instead of a random eating disorder they couldn't figure out. I like to chew on things, my favourite atm being the mouth of a plastic pop bottle, it's hard but soft (if that makes sense) but I've been looking into chew tubes since someone told me about them. I also have been known to chew on my fingers in my sleep lol! but other things that seem to find their way into my mouth are stir sticks (both wooden and plastic) Popsicle sticks, the zippers on my shirts or jackets, hard mints, cough losenges, and string to name a few.

Good on ya for the AS diagnosis, though! Funny, my Dad wouldn't let me get assessed as a kid for anything like your Mum wouldn't let them test you, I'm also in my 20's now (I think still mid) and just got a diagnosis of ADHD and AS within the last few months. I hope it helps you realize you're not "Just some weirdo/ freak/ loser/ whatever else someone may have called you for being different" and that you are you, and the reasons you have such struggles is because you have Asperger Syndrome, and that you are completely normal for it!

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2011, 1:06 am

I've taken to noming sunflower seeds for my oral fixation (cue snickers from the Adult Forum crowd).

I'm glad you found something that helps you- "finding" Autism and realizing it fits is for many, myself included, gateway to a tremendous number of resources.

to his Interest."

nikaTheJellyfish
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Oct 2011, 11:00 pm

twich wrote:

Good on ya for the AS diagnosis, though! Funny, my Dad wouldn't let me get assessed as a kid for anything like your Mum wouldn't let them test you, I'm also in my 20's now (I think still mid) and just got a diagnosis of ADHD and AS within the last few months. I hope it helps you realize you're not "Just some weirdo/ freak/ loser/ whatever else someone may have called you for being different" and that you are you, and the reasons you have such struggles is because you have Asperger Syndrome, and that you are completely normal for it!

yeah, the diagnosis really helped. It helped me be able to see that I was not just a bratty crazy kid. The reason they missed it as an oral behavior was that the emphasis was on food, not on the constant need to have something in my mouth. From what I can see, it was misguided focus.

Valentine, I definitely agree that the diagnosis helped me find more resources. I was understand more about my behavior and how to help myself. It's like now that I have the diagnosis I can start to take some control and actually do something instead of just cleaning up catastrophes.

alexi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Oct 2011, 2:05 am

Congratulations on finding something that works for you :D I have had similar "ahaa!" moments with similarly simple things since my diagnosis. I hope that there are many more for you to discover.

flcim
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Oct 2011, 4:04 am

I am here actually not because of me .. it's because of my kids... if my kid is playing alone and doesn't want to mix with people .. what should I do? is this autism? seriously concerned