Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jetfox
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2011, 3:31 pm

oblivion is the rpg i've been searching for, for years now. ever since i got into rpgs i was trying to find one with as system like oblivion. i have enjoyed other rpgs, xenosaga for the incredible story best in a game i've ever seen, final fantasy in general for that mix of old and new and each unique story and verity of characters, a true example of a very creative mind at work. dragon age for the companion system that made the companions seem like real people instead of AI that willingly followed you regardless of actions you took or how you treated them.

but oblivion is the first rpg i play for the gameplay, the fact that you make a random character and have to build up your rep through hard work and effort, the game to me seems to be your game the way you want it to be. i'm only just starting out but i'm hooked already i don't even know what the hell is going on or why it's going on but just exploring the vast open land and seeing what is out there is cool enough. :) i'm a wood elf monk so far.

it took a few tries to get it running, but finally i found out since the game is made by the same guys that made fallout 3, i checked the data files, turns out it wasn't running it's own master file just all the dlc, so it wasn't even loading the game itself. if only finding a fix for fallout 3 was that easy.

Kenn_San
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Oct 2011, 3:37 pm

Just wait a couple of weeks, then Skyrim will be out ;)

I don't know why but I couldn't get my head around oblivion, probably me just being a derp though :P I think the way it begins just didn't really appeal to me and threw me off the game, however my partner LOVES Oblivion, she can spend hours on it at a time - I can watch her play through it easily enough though, it's entertaining to watch someone who actually has a clue what they're doing :P

Ashuahhe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2011, 4:19 pm

Morrowind has more depth than Oblivion does. Think a good story over good graphics. Oblivion's landscapes were more generic/ bland while Morrowind's alien like landscapes were more immersing. Want a good RPG ? Play Morrowind :)

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2011, 5:31 pm

I prefer Fallout. The concept of Oblivion seemed good, but I got really bored right after you exit the cave for the first town.

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2011, 6:30 pm

snapcap wrote:
I prefer Fallout. The concept of Oblivion seemed good, but I got really bored right after you exit the cave for the first town.

I agree, Fallout 3 is more dynamic and realistic than oblivion. It also has a superior combat system, better graphics and a smoother frame rate, I also found the nuclear holocaust post apocalyptic experience to be very unique compared to the typical medieval setting. Oblivion however has a much vaster open world, more side quests, more customization and better role playing. In short, fallout 3 has better production values but Oblivion was the better role playing game.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2011, 8:16 pm

Oblivion is fun, though on my first play through I kind of messed up with assigning stats, went up levels quickly, and was outclassed by most enemies. My second playhtrough went better as I knew what to do, Chose being a mage and wore custom high enchanted strength enhancing clothes, an invisibility spell made it rather easy.

I found that Oblivion tended to be more imersive for me than Fallout 3 and New Vegas, the character, though I hope that Sky Rim will be a hibrid, such as leveling up will not make enemies overwelm you, the enviroment will obviously be bettter,, and hopefully some good houses like there was before, the manor's secret pasage was always a favorite.

Shishka
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Oct 2011, 6:09 am

Oblivion is awesome. I love how you get to choose exactly what you do as if you were that person in that world and that you don't even have to play the main storyline if you don't want to. I can't wait for Skyrim to come out, the only downfall is that it's going to use Steam like New Vegas did.

Jetfox
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2011, 7:47 am

how typical i say i like a game and about 5+ people come on and tell me [insert game here is better] for the record i have fallout 3 love it the wasteland is still something i love walking through, this game got me off of wow and i owe my life to it.

but character generation seemed to be restricted, a bit. that's not to say i don't enjoy it, it's just technical issues with the game have become a bit more then annoying, when i first ran it it played fine now it's unstable and finicky as hell, i want to play it but i need a program to crash the game with a hotkey to make half of the crashes bearable found one for dragon age [praise god] but not fallout.

but let me enjoy my game, i like technology but i love classic medieval games as well, and i hate aliens. i'm not in oblivion for story here just the freedom it gives me.

i still think harkness should have been a companion in default fallout 3 unmoded, the game sure seemed to be setting up for that.

Dingo7
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Oct 2011, 8:14 am

I played oblivion first so i was kinda biased when i was comparing it to fallout while i was learning how to play it...

I ended up playing fallout 3 more then oblivion... purely because oblivion was destroyed somehow... :lol: i never found out how... it was my brothers game and he tells me it broke...

The VATS was good in fallout... like it worked like it should and it was innovative... but it felt SOOOOOOOOOOO lazy... and if you were fighting an opponent it was so rediculesly hard to kill them without VATS... or maybe im just bad at it :lol: ... Unless they were unaware of you then sometimes depending on the distance it would have been better to not use VATS... But generally it became really unsatisfying after a while... as if there really wasnt that much freedom with the character despite all that room to move if you know what i mean?

I liked oblivion better... it had a better vibe with all the lush colours and creatures... and i liked the combat better... the medieval idea was a bit cliche i thought when i first started it... but the gameplay was great... it was challenging and envolved... the quests were better i reckon and it was sick having all the guilds to complete...

I guess you either like fallout more or oblivion more... i like oblivion more... or maybe you dont like either... or genuinly like them evenly all that matters is that the new oblivion is comming soon and i want it :D

GreySun369
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2011, 10:34 am

I heard a lot of Morrowind fans say that Oblivion was generic, but personally I like generic sometimes. I mean wouldn't it be awesome to actually live in a fantasy world inspired by J.R.R. Tolkien's books? That's kind of what Oblivion does. :P

The only problem I have with Oblivion is the glitches, the game is severely glitched and many times will mess up on you. Some of the glitches can't even be fixed and will happen every time you play the game which can get frustirating.

But other then that I love this game. I think my favorite features in this game are being able to gather herbs and mushrooms to make potions (even though I think 90% of the potions are useless) and being able to purchase a house for your character that you can decorate with items you find and make his/hers.

Every time I've played I always made a custom witch class character, and I always played as a male Breton who I tried to make look like myself as much as possible. I really have no creative imagination. :lol:

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2011, 10:42 am

I felt lost in oblivion, like there was too much to do and too much you had to know at the beginning.

Quote:
Oblivion is fun, though on my first play through I kind of messed up with assigning stats, went up levels quickly, and was outclassed by most enemies.

This is what I felt was going to happen. If you're given the option of choosing your stats, they should have made sure that people don't paint themselves in a corner. So in essence, some stats are trap stats. I don't know if that's even possibly in Fallout, even though there are some dicey situations. I think oblivion had the potential to be an even greater game, but hopefully they worked it out in Skyrim.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2011, 11:39 am

Ashuahhe wrote:
Morrowind has more depth than Oblivion does. Think a good story over good graphics. Oblivion's landscapes were more generic/ bland while Morrowind's alien like landscapes were more immersing. Want a good RPG ? Play Morrowind :)

I agree, Morrowind has "It" - i still play it more than Oblivion. Oblivion is more eyecandy that has "lost its soul".

I just hope Skyrim will be better.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2011, 2:38 pm

Oblivion is a good RPG game but I prefer star wars knights of the old republic is awesome 8)

Jetfox
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2011, 5:35 pm

Dingo7 wrote:
I played oblivion first so i was kinda biased when i was comparing it to fallout while i was learning how to play it...

I ended up playing fallout 3 more then oblivion... purely because oblivion was destroyed somehow... :lol: i never found out how... it was my brothers game and he tells me it broke...

The VATS was good in fallout... like it worked like it should and it was innovative... but it felt SOOOOOOOOOOO lazy... and if you were fighting an opponent it was so rediculesly hard to kill them without VATS... or maybe im just bad at it :lol: ... Unless they were unaware of you then sometimes depending on the distance it would have been better to not use VATS... But generally it became really unsatisfying after a while... as if there really wasnt that much freedom with the character despite all that room to move if you know what i mean?

I liked oblivion better... it had a better vibe with all the lush colours and creatures... and i liked the combat better... the medieval idea was a bit cliche i thought when i first started it... but the gameplay was great... it was challenging and envolved... the quests were better i reckon and it was sick having all the guilds to complete...

I guess you either like fallout more or oblivion more... i like oblivion more... or maybe you dont like either... or genuinly like them evenly all that matters is that the new oblivion is comming soon and i want it :D

well i'm just starting out in the game i played fallout 3 first, but i have to say i do like the sound of a gunshot then the clang of a sword. but alot of swords and other melee weapons look awesome, like they were made more for show then fighting.

i do like the overall look of the wasteland better, and the feel i get when walking around in it, like the whole place is frozen in time, things are out of place like certain areas were abandoned at the last second. but it has an eerie feeling you look around knowing most of the place was devastated some people would have died fast but i wonder how many suffered. i get methodical thinking about the wasteland, and i find it awesome to look across the horizon and see the Washington monument from many game miles away.

in oblivion it feels peaceful, which is why i get surprised alot walking around i don't expect the enemies to jump out of nowhere.

i guess though both games fill an interest of mine equally, apocalyptic destruction in fallout 3, and old style medieval combat where crime's payment was your own blood.

i don't like vats much it slows down the pace of the game, so i got this mod to put ironsights in the game, if i'm going to play a shooter i want to stare the enemy down behind my gun's barrel.

DoubleSPY
Raven
Raven

26 Oct 2011, 6:38 pm

I love Oblivion. I mostly loved the DLCs' for it (most favorite was the Shivering Isles) The voices were good too, though I miss the dark elf voice from Morrowind. I can't wait for Skyrim though I wonder how it will turn out since there is no emperor and amulet of kings. Despite those negatives Oblivion was still a good game.

Jetfox
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 12:33 am

DoubleSPY wrote:
I love Oblivion. I mostly loved the DLCs' for it (most favorite was the Shivering Isles) The voices were good too, though I miss the dark elf voice from Morrowind. I can't wait for Skyrim though I wonder how it will turn out since there is no emperor and amulet of kings. Despite those negatives Oblivion was still a good game.

i'm not to keen on the voices most npcs just sound bored, reminds me of the atmosphere in new vegas only not as depressing as hell. but i do notice something about oblivion and dragon age, the npcs say alot of the same combat dialog, in fact i've heard alot of the same battle cries in both games, "this is where you fall down and bleed to death" is one of ser gilmore's [not the mod] most spoken lines, i've heard it quite a bit i may have heard a few of alistair's lines as well.

makes me wonder did dragon age get inspired by elder scrolls... weird but cool.

i wish i could make a decent looking character in it though, i might model one off of harkness for kicks.